Hanging Deer.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NightwishMike
500 Club

Hanging Deer.

Unread postby NightwishMike » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:19 am

I couldn't find any info on this subject here (although I'm sure there is).

What are some general guidelines for hanging deer for a length of time before butchering?

What are your experiences?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Hanging Deer.

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:48 am

The most important thing for me is to hang/skin/cool down absolutely as fast as possible. I have cut up and froze meat the night I shot them and also let them hang for a week and I have never tasted much difference bwteen the two.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:54 am

If you can get 40 degree temps hanging for a few days is no big deal. Get them gutted and hung as soon as possible.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:55 am

headgear wrote:The most important thing for me is to hang/skin/cool down absolutely as fast as possible. I have cut up and froze meat the night I shot them and also let them hang for a week and I have never tasted much difference bwteen the two.

That's good info. The reason I hung the last deer I shot was because of work the next day and the super cold temps.

I guess my big question is how long can you hang a deer at different temperatures? Not to "improve" the meat but to buy time if you need to.
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:56 am

Stanley wrote:If you can get 40 degree temps hanging for a few days is no big deal. Get them gutted and hung as soon as possible.

Stanley, Do you think a week is out of line for a deer I hung in 10 degrees?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:09 am

NightwishMike wrote:
Stanley wrote:If you can get 40 degree temps hanging for a few days is no big deal. Get them gutted and hung as soon as possible.

Stanley, Do you think a week is out of line for a deer I hung in 10 degrees?

Yes you could hang one for a week in 10 degree temps and not have meat spoilage. You will know if the meat goes bad it will turn green, literally.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:14 am

It could literally hang forever In 10 degree temps.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:18 am

I like to let them hang for 2-3 days if the temps are 50 or below. Head down, skin on, chest cavity and hind quarters split & spread open.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:29 am

hang for 1 week at least in a cold box is what i do with all my deer.

you need to age venision just like beef. Need enysmes to rbeak down, make more tender, ect.
You can't kill em on the couch
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:34 am

Brandon wrote:hang for 1 week at least in a cold box is what i do with all my deer.

you need to age venision just like beef. Need enysmes to rbeak down, make more tender, ect.

I've tried this several times and I can't tell a difference in the meat. I find it much more important in how you cook your venison.

As far as temps and deer hanging Stanley is right, as long as it is below 40 you should be ok for a week or so. I also try and keep them out of the sun if possible. If the temps are not in your favor I general quarter them up right away and throw them into the cooler or fridge if I don't have time to cut them up right away.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:35 am

headgear wrote:
Brandon wrote:hang for 1 week at least in a cold box is what i do with all my deer.

I've tried this several times and I can't tell a difference in the meat. I find it much more important in how you cook your venison.

As far as temps and deer hanging Stanley is right, as long as it is below 40 you should be ok for a week or so. I also try and keep them out of the sun if possible. If the temps are not in your favor I general quarter them up right away and throw them into the cooler or fridge if I don't have time to cut them up right away.

i notice....

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... -hang-time

Im not pulling your leg, what I stated is proven.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:53 am

Schultzy wrote:It could literally hang forever In 10 degree temps.

X2

No exaggeration.

The Benoits hang they're deer until hunting season ends. Sometimes over a month.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:14 am

headgear wrote:

I've tried this several times and I can't tell a difference in the meat.
I find it much more important in how you cook your venison.

I have aged venison and not aged it. I couldn't tell any appreciable difference either. I wanted to and thought I should, but just couldn't.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:54 am

Brandon wrote:

Not doubting the science, I've read this article before and tried aging venision several times. I just can't taste a difference so I don't bother any longer.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:57 am

headgear wrote:
Brandon wrote:

Not doubting the science, I've read this article before and tried aging venision several times. I just can't taste a difference so I don't bother any longer.

I see. Its not the "taste", its the tenderness that Ive noticed being affected. Seems we get more tender backstraps when we age... and everything else is burger and jerky do Im not sure that matters.

Im just happy I dont have to rush and cut up a fresh kill! :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”