Hanging Deer.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Hanging Deer.

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:22 am

dan wrote:
Post Hanging Deer.
I couldn't find any info on this subject here (although I'm sure there is).

What are some general guidelines for hanging deer

I would want to be sure he got a fair trial...

Hung jury?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:28 am

dan wrote:
Post Hanging Deer.
I couldn't find any info on this subject here (although I'm sure there is).

What are some general guidelines for hanging deer

I would want to be sure he got a fair trial...

or if he steals your horse.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:39 pm

Brandon wrote:
headgear wrote:
Brandon wrote:hang for 1 week at least in a cold box is what i do with all my deer.

you need to age venision just like beef. Need enysmes to rbeak down, make more tender, ect.

I've tried this several times and I can't tell a difference in the meat. I find it much more important in how you cook your venison.

As far as temps and deer hanging Stanley is right, as long as it is below 40 you should be ok for a week or so. I also try and keep them out of the sun if possible. If the temps are not in your favor I general quarter them up right away and throw them into the cooler or fridge if I don't have time to cut them up right away.

i notice....

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... -hang-time

Im not pulling your leg, what I stated is proven.

Great article in F&S. I knew you could hang'em, but didn't know how long. I suppose if the weather permits, below 40 degrees, it would be just like hanging it in the fridge!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:56 pm

After reading this thread I decided to go the minimum suggested 14 days. Shot a small doe around 90 pounds on Jan 1 and skinned/cut it on Jan 15, left it in the 40 degree cooler til today and packaged it. Cooked a little as I always do when I package to see how it is fresh.

Had absolutely perfect hanging weather. Would have never guessed it for Jan in MI. A couple of warm days but nights were cool. I would guess we averaged around 35 after a good initial chill.

I almost ate that meat raw while packaging. The barbq I made out of a front shoulder fell apart in the big blue pot in about 2 hours. Never did really add barbq to the pot. I cut most of a front shoulder and threw it in a can of coke. After it fell apart I put it on a bun with a smidgeon of BarbQ sauce. What a treat.

Oh, this deer had the least amount of fat I have seen on a deer I cut up in some time
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:After reading this thread I decided to go the minimum suggested 14 days. Shot a small doe around 90 pounds on Jan 1 and skinned/cut it on Jan 15, left it in the 40 degree cooler til today and packaged it. Cooked a little as I always do when I package to see how it is fresh.

Had absolutely perfect hanging weather. Would have never guessed it for Jan in MI. A couple of warm days but nights were cool. I would guess we averaged around 35 after a good initial chill.

I almost ate that meat raw while packaging. The barbq I made out of a front shoulder fell apart in the big blue pot in about 2 hours. Never did really add barbq to the pot. I cut most of a front shoulder and threw it in a can of coke. After it fell apart I put it on a bun with a smidgeon of BarbQ sauce. What a treat.

Oh, this deer had the least amount of fat I have seen on a deer I cut up in some time

:L: sounds like a tasty one :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”