Dealing with pheasant hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

FRH
500 Club

Dealing with pheasant hunters

Unread postby FRH » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:23 am

For those of you that hunt the public marshes how do you deal with pheasant hunters tromping through cattails? Not necessarily while you are there hunting but maybe a day or two before. Does it change where you hunt that property? Do you move to a different property that doesn't have as many hunters? Or are these spots something that you only hunt the first couple weeks?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

addisonlee

Re: Dealing with pheasant hunters

Unread postby addisonlee » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:53 am

I have a few spots like this and try to hunt them before the pheasant season, but if the conditions are right (peak rut). I'll just go sit in deeper to avoid pheasant hunters, where most pheasant hunters won't go. Hope this helps.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:37 pm

I agree with Addisonlee... I don't see many of the pheasant hunters back where the bucks are hiding. I have occasionally ran into some hunters way out there, but thats what you have to deal with on public...
As far as knowing if someone has buggered up a buck bedding area, think about it in this manor, mature bucks very carefully choose the areas they bed. They choose spots that rarely ever get human invasion. So if your onto a great bedding spot, chances are good that no one has been in there yet.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Are your cattails dry? I go for the water to avoid other hunters. I don't ever see pheasant hunters in the cattails.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:16 am

I did a little scouting last week and I think that it being dry early kinda helped get the pheasant hunters out farther. I found a couple beds way out but nothing that I can get a stand to. After the rain all the pheasant hunter trails are under water. I'm thinking early season for these spots and then just keep an eye on how much pressure it's getting since it is close to home.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”