Fog and heavy overcast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Fog and heavy overcast

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:27 am

A few years back, i went out spotting in early September on a day that had very heavy hanging fog. 250 yards was maybe the farthest i could see. Usually i sat down in my spot and had to wait an hour before the deer started to hit the fields. But when i got there, there were a bunch of deer in the field including 3 pretty good size bucks.

Will fog or a heavy overcast do this. It was a few years ago so it could have been the moon or something.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Fog and heavy overcast

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:33 am

I have seen this before as well. I think deer feel very comfortable moving in this type of weather. I think the increased humidity, gives them more confidence in there sense of smell. Also, around here anyway, usually foggy days have light, consistent winds.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:37 am

Black Squirrel wrote:I think the increased humidity, gives them more confidence in there sense of smell.

Great point Squirrel! 8-)
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat May 01, 2010 5:30 pm

I was about to start a post on this exact subject Predator. But then,I came across your post,so I,ll just add to yours.
I was going through some pics and past obsevations from last year and was really seeing a trend with extended sightings and pics on foggy/overcast days.I was really hoping I could get lucky and use this to my advantage during the season.
I remember one day last summer ,I was at work and it turned real dark ,hazy ,foggy,misty.So I beat it down to my spotting area as you did.This particular bachelor group I was watching were coming out at like 8 o'clock or whatever. But I got out there at about 5 o'clock and the whole group was heavily feeding 3 hours earlier than usual.That type of weather can really speed up the action for sure.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 02, 2010 1:27 am

I agree.. more daylight buck sightings in overcast, foggy, and light rain conditions. Part of it could be the change in barometric pressure during these types of conditions but I also believe that most bucks don't like to move well in bright sun light cause of there sensitive eyes. The overcast type days simulate the same amount of darkness that gets them moving at sunset.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun May 02, 2010 7:32 am

dan wrote:I also believe that most bucks don't like to move well in bright sun light cause of there sensitive eyes.

Great point!

Swampthing, i went through all of my trail camera pictures just now. And i found a lot of fog ones also. 8-)
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed May 05, 2010 6:41 pm

I also believe that the overcast and fog "trick" the older bucks into thinking it is getting dark and they feel more comfortable moving in it, I can remember some hunts years ago in the fog and having some close encounters with big bucks well before sundown.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”