Post season scouting......Gun question.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JV NC
500 Club

Post season scouting......Gun question.....

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:00 am

I admittedly don't do a lot of post-season (or pre-season) scouting. I've been hunting the same farms here for 7 seasons, now, and I just don't take the time (nor do I think I'd benefit from it, much).

I did find a couple of dead deer in the woods recently, though. It made me want to walk the farms and see what else I might find.

Our closer is today. I may walk around some, tomorrow. My question is (for you guys who do this), do you feel weird taking a firearm? If I saw a coyote, I'd sure like to have my rifle with me.

Just never done it.....thought I'd ask.

Lateral Bowhunter
BigHunt

Re: Post season scouting......Gun question.....

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:00 am

NO
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:03 am

JV NC wrote:I admittedly don't do a lot of post-season (or pre-season) scouting. I've been hunting the same farms here for 7 seasons, now, and I just don't take the time (nor do I think I'd benefit from it, much).

it will benefit you more then you think ;) look at dan ....most of all those bucks on the wall was from hard work scouting , maybe luck... on one or two
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:07 am

Deer is still open with firearm here and I have been bringing my rifle along scouting. I don't see any issue with it if your not serious about scouting... However, I think if you are serious about scouting, you need to concentrate on scouting. The gun might have you concentrating on rabbits or coyotes to much to learn something...
I also think, you would be surprised what you can learn post season scouting... If you take a closer look at the areas where the bucks live and bed, you might find a sweet set up or two that you did not know existed right under your nose...
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:14 am

Hey anything's possible, Dan. I'm sure I'll learn something. I've walked these farms many times in the past. I used to be hardcore re: scouting. If I had new grounds, I would be again.

I'm really mostly wondering if there are more dead deer out there.
Lateral Bowhunter
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:24 am

I rarely go anywhere witout a firearm of some type. I always carry a pistol when scouting, checking cameras, etc. With mobile meth labs the rage nowdays, you never know when you'll need one.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:31 am

Southern Man wrote:I rarely go anywhere witout a firearm of some type. I always carry a pistol when scouting, checking cameras, etc.

Same here.
snoman4

Unread postby snoman4 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:48 am

I always have a pistol with me when I scout. My pistol is like a second skin because I wear it as part of my everyday duty and I feel maked without one.
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:06 am

NightwishMike wrote:
Southern Man wrote:I rarely go anywhere witout a firearm of some type. I always carry a pistol when scouting, checking cameras, etc.

Same here.

This raises a good question. How many of you pack heat when hunting public? I have never hunting public and the concern is always there that you will run into crazy people?
Just a question
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:51 am

Z7WIBoy wrote:This raises a good question. How many of you pack heat when hunting public? I have never hunting public and the concern is always there that you will run into crazy people?
Just a question

I carry a very small handgun, its small because if it wasnt, I wouldnt carry it. Ruger .380 LCP with crimson trace

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”