What a crazy last 4 days of the season for me!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

What a crazy last 4 days of the season for me!

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:53 am

Our deer season ended here In Minnesota Saturday. I hunt In a one tag area (I hate It)) so as of last Monday I said the heck with holding out for a particular buck I was after and went on doe patrol. Wednesday I almost ended the season. I missed a doe at about 20 to 22 yards. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11122

Thursday mornings hunt was a skunk, nothing showed. Thursday evenings hunt came along with nothing close for doe's but I had some great and disappointing action on the hunt. On this hunt I decided to go back to a spot that I knew a particular buck I was after traveled once In a while. I figured I could doe hunt and possibly hunt for this buck at the same time. In this spot I have 2 stands that are about 60 yards apart that are on each side of a funnel. He uses both of these trails hence the 2 stands. Sure enough I sat the wrong stand as I watched him walk by the other stand at about 15 yards 30 minutes before dark. I sat there and cussed myself!! Below Is the picture of the 4.5 year old I've been hunting that walked by the stand I wasn't In. I've saw this buck 8 times this year.

I couldn't hunt Friday morning. Friday's evening hunt (2 days left) I decided to go sit the stand I saw him walk by the night before. I didn't know what I was going to do If a doe gave me a shot early In the hunt. I got out 3 hours before dark and 30 minutes Into the sit I see him at about 150 yards or so. He was meandering the way It looked browsing or something. I said to myself, now what am I going to do If a doe comes by later In the hunt as he's In the area??? Well nothing for doe's showed up so I never had to cross that bridge. Never saw him either the rest of the evening.

Saturday mornings hunt was another skunk In a different spot. One hunt to go!! I pulled the stand down I was In and was planning on going to the opposite side of the woods to throw this stand up over there hoping top catch a doe or a doe fawn coming through. Before I put this stand up my brother did a few small pushes for me on some other land hoping we'd get a doe to come by. It was uneventful but this tactic has worked for us other years before. Nice and slow pushes by one person, we've shot 4 deer doing this with our bows.

After the small pushes we did my brother and I headed to this spot I wanted to throw a stand up at. We were running late but we got a stand up In an ok spot just In time for the hunt. I ended up seeing at least 12 deer on this hunt. 7 of which were with In 10 yards. 2 bucks (a spike and a 2.5 year old) came through and got the pass. An hour later the doe's and fawns starting moving. I never did get a doe to come with In range but I let 5 BB's come by as close as 5 yards. I won't shoot BB's. If any of these would've been doe fawns they would've gotten an arrow. NEVER have I saw 5 BB's In a hunt before. That was crazy but also good to see. So In a nutshell, no deer for me this year. Same thing happened last year, 2 years In a row of no deer. Before last year It had been well over 10 years since I had gone without a deer. That's hunting for ya In a one tag area If your after a good buck. No snow didn't help matters here at all either. All In all It was a good season. Saw lots of rut action and should've had my buck November 4th. No complaints out of me. :handgestures-thumbup:

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Re: What a crazy last 4 days of the season for me!

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:00 am

set your sights on next year....sorry you did not get one
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:08 am

Sounds like a great season non the less. Letting those BB pass will pay off. You ever notice when you make up your mind to doe hunt towards the end you don't get any in range? I hate that. :evil: :lol:
Last edited by JRM6868 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:29 am

Sounds like you got more than your moneys worth out of that one tag. Getting one opening is great but shortens your learning time in the field. You''ll score next year for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:38 am

I will probably be in the same boat as you within a week. Our season closes Sunday night, don
t have a deer yet. Got 2-3 more hunts yet.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:23 am

You ever notice when you make up your mind to doe hunt towards the end you don't get any in range? I hate that.
You aren't a kidding there!!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:37 am

That buck will be a tank next year when you center punch his lungs on opening weekend!! Way to stick with it man love your stories!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:43 am

Black Squirrel wrote:I will probably be in the same boat as you within a week. Our season closes Sunday night, don
t have a deer yet. Got 2-3 more hunts yet.
Good luck Squirrel!! I always enjoy following along on your hunts.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:00 am

Letting those BB pass will pay off.
Will or will It not? I usually think this too but then I always think back that the BB's are chased away by the old lady anyway. Who know's I guess. Whether It's me or someone else, someone's going to benefit which Is good. I hope the favor gets returned by another hunter letting their BB's go or their 1.5's In hopes they make It on over. :mrgreen: How long does your season go yet? I remember reading that your time a field hasn't been much. If you can get out yet, best of luck there sir!! :handgestures-thumbup:

Backwoods,

It shall be Interesting to see what he looks like next year as a 5.5. I've got pics of him the last 3 years starting out as a 2.5. He was a 7 point as a 2.5, terrible rack but big bodied. As a 3.5 he got real wide but was still a 7 point. His tines grew good besides his G1's (brow tines). This year he shot up real nice and Is about as symmetrical as a buck could get but still he's got short G1's (maybe 3 Inches). What surprised me was that he's an 8 point. I never would've guessed It as I figured he would've been a P.O.S. 7 the rest of his life.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:39 am

Lots of action on that hunt Schultzy, even with no kill still a good season.

Good luck next year with that dandy buck.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:41 am

Good read Shultzy. I agree with Stan, you definitely got your moneys worth out of that tag. So you are doing all this hunting around Forest City? Still can't believe I always thought you were up north.

And way more disciplined than me, if I saw that many buttons I would consider one surplus. But I hope you are rewarded for your discipline and patience.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:11 am

Hey Steve, Sorry you didn't put a nice one on the ground! I admire your perseverence! Hopefully the time out had it's own benefits or experiences you can build upon for next year!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:47 am

Best of luck next year. It sounds like you had plenty of action and that makes it fun.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:09 am

Uncle Lou wrote:So you are doing all this hunting around Forest City? Still can't believe I always thought you were up north.
Yep, 1/2 mile west of Forest City Is the woods I hunt at. I live 1/2 mile south of Forest City on Highway 24.

Thanks all. Was a fun season.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:46 pm

Schultzy wrote:
Letting those BB pass will pay off.
Will or will It not? I usually think this too but then I always think back that the BB's are chased away by the old lady anyway. Who know's I guess. Whether It's me or someone else, someone's going to benefit which Is good. I hope the favor gets returned by another hunter letting their BB's go or their 1.5's In hopes they make It on over. :mrgreen: How long does your season go yet? I remember reading that your time a field hasn't been much.

It will pay off letting them walk. Not all of them will get killed by neighbors. I once had a spike that came in and he would take a step and look around and up. Take another step and do the same. Smart little buck. Some will make it and you have to believe that. The only other alternative is shoot them all and wonder why there's no bucks. Hang in there.
Took my son (8) out Saturday we didn't have any luck. He has the hunger to keep going hunting so I'm going to feed it. He's actually getting pretty good at sitting still and being patient. We talk about all the different sounds and what's making them. Pull deer up on my phone and quiz him on where to aim, what the wind was doing and how our scent would travel with it and where the deer should be bedded and where they should come from.etc etc. he's going to be a great hunter some day. I'm teaching him how to hunt; not what he perceives as hunting from what he sees on tv. He's coming along nicely.
Our season ends the first weekend in February so we still have a little time for him to get it done. I'll keep giving my season up for him as long as he still wants to go.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”