What was your luckiest kill on a nice buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

binney59
500 Club

Re: What was your luckiest kill on a nice buck?

Unread postby binney59 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:38 am

I had a buck come in on opening morning of gun season that was tending a doe. I was in some thick stuff and couldnt get a shot at him for over 15 minutes, despite the fact that he was within 30 yards and I had a gun. The doe he was tending was circling around and ended up getting directly down wind of me. I was about 25 feet up in my climber but she was directly down wind at 10 yards and started the ol' head bob. Thankfully the buck was still in thick stuff and seemed to pay no attention.

On a suggestion from my brother I had brought an umbrella to my stand that day and had it facing forward to serve as somewhat of a "ground blind in the sky" (now I realize it just made me look like a huge blob in the tree but this was a while back). No lie as soon as the doe was headbobbing me a strong gush of wind inverted the umbrella and it started flapping in the wind. The doe spooked about 10 yards to my left, back into the thick stuff, and then looked again before slinking off. This finally caused the buck to move and it brought him into a slight opening and I dropped him at 20 yards.

To this day he is the biggest buck that I have killed and has a net NT score of 180 4/8. May have been a little luck involved with that one!

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu May 29, 2014 11:23 am

dan wrote:After hunting hard all season and being physically and mentally drained I went out gun hunting in a hurry walking a long distance down a dirt farm road only to get to my tree and realize I did not have my stand, it was still in the truck. So I leaned my gun against the tree and ran back to get the stand as it was already getting late. Almost back to the truck still jogging I noticed a rack out in the grass and cattails watching me bedded just off the dirt road... But now my gun was leaning against the tree.... So I kept going past the buck ( i know better than to stop and stair ) and did a wide circle back to the tree and got my gun and started jogging back over there. By the time I got even with the buck I had slowed to a walk. I stopped and quickly shouldered the gun and shot the buck right in his bed... Strange hunt indeed.

I read this entire story in your book. I was laughing on the couch reading it. My wife asked what was funny about reading deer hunting stories. I told her it was nice to see even the BBSK makes mistakes that compare to mine :lol:
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri May 30, 2014 11:14 am

Hit a pressured chunk of public I mean pressured not sure the deer even lived there, I had not options 2nd to last day of vacation. I hung my stand on a Saturday at noon 75 degrees out middle of the rut, was breaking some branches off heard a noise and looked up and a solid 120 8 coming in, made a perfect shot he died in sight. My clothes were still at the base of the tree, it was also my longest shot 40 yards with my bow.

I was in the stand 2 minutes, I wanted dearly to kill a good buck from that area, god gave me a miracle and for once I seized it. Probably my most meaningful buck, while wheeling him out I fell and almost lost an eye.

Placed turned to crap after that year never been back.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri May 30, 2014 11:24 am

On second day of gun season 2008 I went and sat behind the barn overlooking cut corn at 10am. I parked the truck about 75 yards from a dead fall with brush all over it in open pasture.

Well as I hit the bolt to load the shell into the chamber, a doe and a big buck bust out of that dead fall. I was shocked at first. Then shot at the buck who was cruising fast diagonally away from me. I missed. Then I shot and missed again.

At about 200 yards maybe more I took one last shot and he buckled in mid air and dropped. I remember leading him by about 10 feet. Upon looking the buck over I recognized him from my trail camera exactly 1 month to the day prior I got a pic of him.

At first I couldn't figure out where I hit him. I figured spine since he dropped in mid air. Then my cousin came over and he showed me that I had hit this buck in the head right behind the ear.

I couldn't find an exit hole which confuses me to this day.

That's my lucky buck story. He is my biggest with a rifle.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”