Sit or stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Z7WIBoy

Sit or stand

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Quick question for u beasts. When you setup for swamp hunts do you set them for sitting shots or standing shots? On the video from Dan on this site he likes to set so he can watch the buck bedding area and it looks like it is for sitting shot but would like thoughts? Also how many of u are left handed and does this change your tactic? If I had to set the stand for a sitting shot I would have face the back of the tree or move farther right? Just looking for thoughts
Thx in advance

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Sit or stand

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:47 pm

I like to stand for a shot(bow). I can cover more angles and directions of buck movement that way.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Stanley wrote:I like to stand for a shot(bow). I can cover more angles and directions of buck movement that way.

Me too, every now and again I get set in a tree though where it just feels right to shoot sitting down..its rare but it happens!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Stanley wrote:I like to stand for a shot(bow). I can cover more angles and directions of buck movement that way.

Definitely! you limit your shots sitting and also because of the angles I think its harder to put on a good shot sitting down. How often does someone practice sitting down? Then how often does someone practice sitting down and shooting down at an angle? I think its safe to say most people spend most of there time practicing standing up.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:19 pm

My stand will be set up the same whether I plan on a sitting or standing shot. As a lefty I typically have it set up so that I'm facing where the deer will come from, and the trail leads the deer past me on my right side. I like to stand up when I can, but if a deer catches me off guard I'll take the shot sitting.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm

i like to stand for shots but i practice both ways just in case i have to sit and shoot
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:02 pm

I like to set for sitting shots.. Quartering away from where I expect action. With my bow straight in front of me, just inches above my hand. With the bow in front, no restriction of view. For me its way easier to shoot of the left side of my stand, being right handed.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:03 pm

rack addict wrote:

Definitely! you limit your shots sitting and also because of the angles I think its harder to put on a good shot sitting down. How often does someone practice sitting down? Then how often does someone practice sitting down and shooting down at an angle? I think its safe to say most people spend most of there time practicing standing up.

I practice with my hunting bow sitting almost exclusively. I bring a chair to the range most times.

I even sight in sitting to make sure I have clearance and whatnot.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Most of my kills are sitting down on the stand...I always try to have my stand on the shady side of the tree, sometimes angling on the opposite side I'm expecting to see the deer.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:10 pm

I practice both ways,but prefer to shoot standing
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Looks can be decieving... If at all possible I like to stand for the shot. Gun I sit.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:49 pm

I've done both and practice both. I prefer standing though.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:47 am

I too also practice the sit and shoot.. Sometimes deer just comes out of no where and when they surprise you.. By then it's too late to stand.. Have shot deer sitting and standing.. So it depends on the situation...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:49 am

40 or so bowkills.....and I've never taken a sitting shot at a deer.

I can see everything, while standing, that I could see if I was sitting. The reason I went from a "sitter" to a "stander" is called -- the LW treestand....lol. Switching from a summit to the LW in '08, I realized how uncomfortable the LW was (compared to the summit). So, I stood.

Best thing that ever happened to my bowhunting. I RARELY sit when I bowhunt, now. I know it's saved me from getting busted, attempting to stand, a few times.
Lateral Bowhunter
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:56 am

Mostly stand.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”