Need some thoughts on how to gain access to vacant propeties

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Need some thoughts on how to gain access to vacant propeties

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:12 am

For the first time in my life I am going to seek out some private property to hunt this off-season. I have been huntinug Virginia's public lands for 20 years. I started using the county mapping system today and located several properties that are in locations and have the type of hunting grounds that I want to hunt. However, many of them are just land and have no homes on those properties. I really want to walk up to a live person, shake their hand and talk with them before asking them to hunt their property. However in the case of vacant properties without anyone living on site, how would you go about securing access to those properties?

I found out the addresses and names of the owners. I am thinking of writing them a personal letter explaining my profession ( in a couple of weeks I think my new profession will come in handy in helping me gain access), my family, my personal ethics, and my desire to stay closer to home to bowhunt. Also, Virginia has a "hold harmless" law which means the land owner cannot be sued if a hunter gets hurt on their property. The only thing is I do not want to come across as psycho by writing them a letter. Any thoughts guys? I am really hoping to make a go of hunting some better spots in addition to my public land spot.

Brett

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Need some thoughts on how to gain access to vacant prope

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:16 am

Good luck man!

I had one spot like this, I talked about hunting a lot and my buddies family offered up a property his grandpa bought as an investment. Owned it for 13yrs and never set foot on it in the last 10. Turns out all the neighbors did though. They acted like it was community property. I had sole permission to be there and was told to kick anyone else off. The neighbors didn't like that and the landowner didn't care to be too involved so it was me against a group of tresspassing neighbors who had been there for years. They made it such h3ll for me I ended up leaving. A different friends family bought the same piece of land last fall, she is an anti hunter and she knows all about these guys. I now own all of their treestands they left on the land. It didn't end all bad but the hunting sucked because everytime they saw my truck parked there they made it a point to harass me.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for the heads up Backwoods. In two weeks I will be sworn in as a county police officer. I really like to mind my own business and not bother anyone, but I will be darned if I allow anyone to constantly harass me or trespass without warning them or flat out calling the police. I don't play those games.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:32 am

virginiashadow wrote:Thanks for the heads up Backwoods. In two weeks I will be sworn in as a county police officer. I really like to mind my own business and not bother anyone, but I will be darned if I allow anyone to constantly harass me or trespass without warning them or flat out calling the police. I don't play those games.

It's probably easier for you being a police officer. I was 18yrs old at the time, and my battle was against 3, 40yr old men who had been hunting this property as though it was their own for 8+ yrs. I also had no support for the landowner. I think the police officer angle will be beneficial in gaining access. My girlfriend just got a job as a police officer in september, I should see if she can get me some access to some properties :D
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:37 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:
virginiashadow wrote:Thanks for the heads up Backwoods. In two weeks I will be sworn in as a county police officer. I really like to mind my own business and not bother anyone, but I will be darned if I allow anyone to constantly harass me or trespass without warning them or flat out calling the police. I don't play those games.

It's probably easier for you being a police officer. I was 18yrs old at the time, and my battle was against 3, 40yr old men who had been hunting this property as though it was their own for 8+ yrs. I also had no support for the landowner. I think the police officer angle will be beneficial in gaining access. My girlfriend just got a job as a police officer in september, I should see if she can get me some access to some properties :D

At 18 I would have been as confused and scared as you were buddy, trust me. :)
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:41 am

Good luck Brett! One of my New Years resolutions in to obtain a number of new properties to hunt. We can all likely relate to what you are experiencing. If you have no other means to reach someone you may have to send a letter. Maybe making it easy by including a postage paid envelope back to you. Making it easy for them to get back to you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:44 am

Scot, great idea about the stamp and letter. I was also going to include my email address. Heck guys, some of the owners of these properties live in different states. I am hoping some of them would like to hear that I would look after their property in their absence.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:53 am

A basic business card with your name contact info and maybe some sort of job description proving you are some sort of responsible may go a long way too. I know I am making some up for spring just to have something to hand over to a landowner when asking permission.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:55 am

Brett:

Happy new year, pal.

Give me a call, sometime. I'm gonna toot my own horn, here.....If I'm good at anything at all related to hunting.....it would be getting permission to hunt.

First thing you do is....get yourself a family photo with you in uniform. You're going to want to include that with your letter. And yes, the letter is a great idea. You're also going to want to include an aerial map of their parcel.

Like I said, give me a call. It'll be good catching up, anyways.

jv
Lateral Bowhunter
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:05 pm

JV NC wrote:Brett:

Happy new year, pal.

Give me a call, sometime. I'm gonna toot my own horn, here.....If I'm good at anything at all related to hunting.....it would be getting permission to hunt.

First thing you do is....get yourself a family photo with you in uniform. You're going to want to include that with your letter. And yes, the letter is a great idea. You're also going to want to include an aerial map of their parcel.

Like I said, give me a call. It'll be good catching up, anyways.

jv

J, thanks man. Crazy that you just answered this post. I was sitting with my wife and just told her that if things work out that I would like to come down and hunt with you for a bit next year in November. Then like 5 minutes later you answer this post. :) Will give you a call.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:22 pm

There is nothing wrong or psycho about writing a letter in my opinion. We have lots of absentee landowners here too. Maybe handwrite the envelope, it will stand out from the junk mail and give it a personal touch and get opened and read.

Also I wouldnt be afraid to follow up in a respectful way. Who knows if they got the first one. If they don't call or respond send a one paragraph follow up with the original letter. Your chances go up on a response this way. And dont put all your eggs in one basket, send out 10.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:08 am

I think that its a great idea to send letters out. The family photo with you in uniform is a great idea as well. My stepdad and I were just talking about trying to get on some more private and we thought that sending a letter out might be a great way.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:23 am

If I can gain 2-3 properties of varying sizes I will be happy. There are a decent amount of 10-30 acre spots around here, with some being 60-80 acres. I am more worried about location as compared to the size of the property.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”