Aging deer by rubs...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Aging deer by rubs...

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:02 am

dan wrote:Well, I don't see some of that as "nit picking" just analyzing or trying to understand or figure out if something is right or wrong... The point where these threads go wrong is when someone starts calling people liars, or other names, and posting songs about them... :roll: Its one guy, trying to disrupt the forum. And if he can't be civil he will be removed. And none of what I see on this thread is what Im talking about. It was the aging thread and then a song being posted to stir things up. Healthy debate is good as long as people can handle it without arguing... Sometimes we are right, and sometimes we are wrong. Some people can't handle being wrong or being asked a question. I personally would like to know if there is evidence that one of my theories is wrong. What I don't want is name calling and arrogant posts. There is no room for that.

Lets move on to positive deer related chat!

I caught that song, I knew what its purpose was, even though it was kind of a good tune!

Anyways, I see you said you don't think the deer have the strength to rub while laying down? I thought I read that...what makes you say that? I've seen a lot of deer do a lot of stuff, what would hold a mature buck back from making a rub while laying in his bed? IMO they seem physically strong enough to do it. I don't why they would or would not do it I guess.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:14 am

Anyways, I see you said you don't think the deer have the strength to rub while laying down? I thought I read that...what makes you say that? I've seen a lot of deer do a lot of stuff, what would hold a mature buck back from making a rub while laying in his bed? IMO they seem physically strong enough to do it. I don't why they would or would not do it I guess.

Its an opinion. Not something I know for fact. I have seen them rise out of there bed and rub the bed tree, and I have seen them go to a bed in the morning and rub the tree before lying down. I can't say for sure they don't, but most bucks I have seen rub put there head level with there back to slightly lower, which would face plant them if they were bedded. I also think it takes a lot of weight and force to strip the bark off a tree...
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:20 am

Makes sense...is there a height, on average, of rubs made by mature bucks? Can you see a rub and say that its a certain number of feet tall so its likely a deer older than 3.5? I see based on autumns picture and the rub picture you posted, the comparison in height of deer and their rubs. What is a truly tall rub? I've never seen a rub that had a center higher than my belt.

Do you see any comparison between age of a deer and diameter of tree rubbed?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:26 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Do you see any comparison between age of a deer and diameter of tree rubbed?

No...

Can you see a rub and say that its a certain number of feet tall so its likely a deer older than 3.5?
No... There can be mutant large 3 y/o's, or tiny 5 year olds... But I can say its highly likely if the rub is chest high its 4 or older... Thats the top height I see rubs at. Center being chest high on me about at sternum height.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:45 am

I think the main thing that can be, and should be learned from this discussion is that the taller the deer, and taller the rack, the higher the rub [glow=red]Potentially[/glow]. Wether it's a 4.5 yr old with 6 inch tines, or a 2.5 year old with 15 inch tines, or a spike on it's tippy toes, we will never know unless we see it first hand.

I thoroughly enjoy these conversations. And, I'll ask a lot of questions. Guilty.

I'm a big fan of theories that can be proven. I have a hard time buying into some of the ones I see posted (that can't be).

That's not being disrespectful. It's just being honest.
Lateral Bowhunter
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:54 am

dan wrote:Well, I don't see some of that as "nit picking" just analyzing or trying to understand or figure out if something is right or wrong...

You took the words right out of my mouth.

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Do you see any comparison between age of a deer and diameter of tree rubbed?

I do, but it is not a direct correlation. It's more of a tendency. I think all of the factors involved in rubs are pieces to the puzzle. For example, if I find a 6" thick rub that the bark is rubbed clean from 6" above the ground up to 48", is deeply gouged and seriously shredded I have NO doubt it is a big mature buck. I think each component by itself dose not conclusively tell you a lot, but combined they can be very telling.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:58 am

No... There can be mutant large 3 y/o's, or tiny 5 year olds... But I can say its highly likely if the rub is chest high its 4 or older... Thats the top height I see rubs at. Center being chest high on me about at sternum height.

One of the dillusions (new word ;) ) I believe some think - are that all deer are supposed to be 140"""""" @ 3.5 years old, etc...
200 lbs. @ 4.5 years old, etc...

Damn I missed the song?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:00 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:No... There can be mutant large 3 y/o's, or tiny 5 year olds... But I can say its highly likely if the rub is chest high its 4 or older... Thats the top height I see rubs at. Center being chest high on me about at sternum height.

One of the dillusions (new word ;) ) I believe some think - are that all deer are supposed to be 140"""""" @ 3.5 years old, etc...
200 lbs. @ 4.5 years old, etc...

Damn I missed the song?

me too :?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:00 pm

JV NC wrote:
I think the main thing that can be, and should be learned from this discussion is that the taller the deer, and taller the rack, the higher the rub [glow=red]Potentially[/glow]. Wether it's a 4.5 yr old with 6 inch tines, or a 2.5 year old with 15 inch tines, or a spike on it's tippy toes, we will never know unless we see it first hand.

I thoroughly enjoy these conversations. And, I'll ask a lot of questions. Guilty.

I'm a big fan of theories that can be proven. I have a hard time buying into some of the ones I see posted (that can't be).

You have been respectful... Questions are good. As are differing viewpoints. I think every one with an open mind learns things on this forum, me included...
I do think this can be proven if researched with trail cams or at game farms where known ages are monitored. I know a couple of deer farmers, I might check and see what they can tell me...
I know I can personally say that over 30 years of hunting big bucks, I have seen plenty of big target deer of known ages ( at least approximate ) rub trees in and around there areas and the heights have been pretty consistent to my theory. A lot of the big bucks I have shot I watched for several seasons, a lot of the ones I never ended up killing too... I watch closely several bucks every year. Rub height has been pretty consistent with age from my observations. I think thats proof... At least to me.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:05 pm

JV NC wrote:

I guess I dont understand what your quoting?
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Adrenaline - I quoted those two sentences (from someone else's post), because they're both spot-on (IMO).

Dan....that last post is what I'm looking for, here. Thanks for sharing that.
Lateral Bowhunter
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:43 pm

I never thought of this as a theory, more like how it is....and still do.

When I first started hunting an scouting with my dad as a youngster I would get real excited over BIG rubs. He told me the size of the tree wasnt that important, what was important was how high the tree was rubbed. A knee high rub was usually a young buck and waist high rub was usually an older buck. (Note; these heights are based on the bucks in my area)...Ive never seen a chest high rub in my area.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:45 pm

I rub, therefore I am.(wait a minute, that sounded bad)
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:49 pm

virginiashadow wrote:I rub, therefore I am.(wait a minute, that sounded bad)

Its normal....I rub to, LOL!!!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:02 pm

:naughty:

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”