Things you eliminate to better your odds while hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Things you eliminate to better your odds while hunting?

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:41 pm

What are some things you eliminate to better your odds while hunting? Success can be improved by eliminating certain things you do or in your equipment.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Re: Things you eliminate to better your odds while hunting?

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Stanley wrote:What are some things you eliminate to better your odds while hunting? Success can be improved by eliminating certain things you do or in your equipment.

some things i eliminate to make hunt better is
1. i eliminate going fast.... you make alot of noise going fast ,
2. i eliminate making noise.....if your making to much noise your going to fast slow down
3. i eliminate not watching were i step....im always moving a branch with my foot before i step down or a cirten leaf , or what ever may go crunch or snap, braking a branch is the worst thing that could happen when your close in on a big bucks bedding area
4. i eliminate not reading the sign.....you can pass up possible staging areas by not reading the sign and possible bedding areas...i am always reading as much sing as i can in the area

and equipment wise

i put UNCLE Lou's stealth strips on all my stand to make them a complete killing package 8-)
i bring as less equipment as possible with me. if it cant strap it to my stand then i don't need it
and i don't wear noise clothing
Last edited by BigHunt on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan jr
Site Admin

Unread postby dan jr » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Eliminate your scent as much as possible
Ted Nugent wrote:Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians--except for the occasional mountain lion steak.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli a lot more fun to hunt!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:03 pm

dan jr wrote:Eliminate your scent as much as possible

personally i don't worry about my scent....no matter what, if they get down wind of you there going to smell you
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:37 pm

I try to make everything as quiet as possible. Noise has cost me a few deer and I do whatever it takes to eliminate it.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:42 am

One thing I did this year was changed quivers. I have used quickie quivers for years but they can be noisy when brush hits them. Also, I used the screw in holder for the quiver so I can remove it while on stand. I changed to a low profile 5 arrow quiver this year that I don't need to remove but can if I want to. My goal is to carry less gear and have less to do to get set up. Leaving the quiver on the bow saves some time.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:56 am

I reduce my stress by trying to make my family happy before hitting the woods. I tie up most loose ends at home before going hunting. If I am stressed out while hunting my odds of killing a deer go way down.

I hit the woods with a plan, thereby by reducing my ground scent. I don't like to just wander around the woods looking for a place to hunt, thereby stinking up the place and making a ton of noise.

I try to eliminate any confidence issues I may have, such as the working order of my equipment. I want to know my bow shoots exactly where I want it to when the moment of truth comes to be.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:20 am

I have eliminated hunting with certain friends. I only hunt with 1 other guy now. Got tired of taking guys along only to find they were sloppy hunters. I also have eliminated the pressure I put on myself to kill a deer. This season I am buck-less. But my time in the woods was more enjoyable!

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Chinook

Unread postby Chinook » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:58 am

virginiashadow wrote:I reduce my stress by trying to make my family happy before hitting the woods. I tie up most loose ends at home before going hunting. If I am stressed out while hunting my odds of killing a deer go way down.

I hit the woods with a plan, thereby by reducing my ground scent. I don't like to just wander around the woods looking for a place to hunt, thereby stinking up the place and making a ton of noise.

I try to eliminate any confidence issues I may have, such as the working order of my equipment. I want to know my bow shoots exactly where I want it to when the moment of truth comes to be.

I think confidence and a clear mind are very important.
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:44 am

Good thread Stanley!

I need to work on eliminating noise when setting a treestand.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:06 am

Chinook wrote:
virginiashadow wrote:I reduce my stress by trying to make my family happy before hitting the woods. I tie up most loose ends at home before going hunting. If I am stressed out while hunting my odds of killing a deer go way down.

i like your thinking Virginia.......I feel the asame way
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:15 am

I did my best to eliminate noise on my stand, sticks, and camera arm by adding rubber, cloth, tape, etc. I also eliminated extra stuff that I didn't need to reduce space and weight in my pack. It makes life easier for sure and helps eliminate incidental noise as well. If I eliminated all my camera gear it would help my hunting tremendously, but at the same time self filming provides an extra challenge and lasting memories of the hunt.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:34 am

Anything that I would have to take in......in a pack.

I have, with me, bowhunting:

Stand
harness
Bow/arrows
bow hook
haul line

Anything else is (IMO) a potential distraction.
Lateral Bowhunter
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:29 am

i eliminated PRESSURE by not entering the big buck contest this year. i know its all for fun but somehow i manage to make it stressful on myself, sounds stupid but its the truth.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:45 pm

I am looking to ditch the back pack for Archery Hunting. I need to get shoulder straps to attach to my stand. I will be buying a smaller Range finder. The one I have is quite old and much larger than the newer models.
I do agree with Virginia Shadow also. Having your family circumstances right makes for a clear mind and more enjoyable experience.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”