Lone wolf alpha with 7 sticks, ratchet strap

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Re: Lone wolf alpha with 7 sticks, ratchet strap

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:20 am

BigHunt wrote:
GRFox wrote:
Buckfever wrote:To minimize the noise when using the ratchet strap, you hold the release with your thumb, when you tighten, let it go to engage, till you bring it back and again hold the release. You can definitely use the ratchet strap without any noise, once you learn how.

Agreed. You can definitely use a ratchet strap silently, you just have to know how to use it.

I have no problem using bungees, but I am only using 3-4 sticks.

I wasn't a fan of the raptor straps, they arent slick enough and bind up a little too much. Bungees work just as well.

what do you mean slick and bind up to much :? :? :? :?

I mean they bind up. They arent a slick or a smooth rubber and when you try and pull it tight when it is wrapped around the stand or sticks it binds up. Bungees have a cloth coating which allow them to slide freely around the sticks/stand was you pull them tight.

Raptor straps are a solid rubber and "stick" to to the edges of the stand when you try and pull them tight. Im not saying they arent good for what you use them for, I just perfer to use bungees.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:25 am

I mean they bind up. They arent a slick or a smooth rubber and when you try and pull it tight when it is wrapped around the stand or sticks it binds up. Bungees have a cloth coating which allow them to slide freely around the sticks/stand was you pull them tight.

Raptor straps are a solid rubber and "stick" to to the edges of the stand when you try and pull them tight. Im not saying they arent good for what you use them for, I just perfer to use bungees.

oooo ya i understand now.... no i dont have that problem either
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:29 am

[bbvideo=425,350]http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h362/twlonewolf/?action=view&current=M2U00148.mp4[/bbvideo]

well as you can see they work great ;) and the slapping you hear is just the pull tight strap for the sticks
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:30 am

Buckfever wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:That is a really high set up buckfever you are using this is more of an urban hunting setting? How do you compensate for such a sharp shot angle?

I'm pretty much routinely setting up this way now, just because I've developed that mindset and I'm seemingly invisible in these sets. The angle isn't hard for me. I've always hunted the thick stuff, so I've probably killed 10-15 deer almost directly under my stand say 5 yards. I've practiced that extensively on the 3-d targets, it's pretty routine for me. I do think that a heavier arrow, a 125 grain highly penetrating head is in order.

As others said about the one lung thing how does a guy compensate for this? A few weeks ago I was 4 sticks high (spread pretty far apart, I was shooting from 20feet) and shot a doe within 12yards and only got one lung and never recovered her. I'm not sure still what went wrong, probably my lack of experience actually killing deer, but the shot looked great to me. I will have to do far more practice on the 3D targets from a height like this, this summer.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:42 am

BigHunt wrote:[bbvideo=425,350]http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h362/twlonewolf/?action=view&current=M2U00148.mp4[/bbvideo]

well as you can see they work great ;) and the slapping you hear is just the pull tight strap for the sticks

So what are those straps you use. Can you show the straps? I like how streamline that looks.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:46 pm

adrenalin wrote:
BigHunt wrote:[bbvideo=425,350]http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h362/twlonewolf/?action=view&current=M2U00148.mp4[/bbvideo]

So what are those straps you use. Can you show the straps? I like how streamline that looks.

there raptor straps and i got them at wallmart and yes there made in china
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:49 pm

I have no trouble pulling my Chinese Raptor straps tight.

Basically I feel there is no place for a ratchet strap on a pack in/out hunt.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:04 pm

Zap wrote:I have no trouble pulling my Chinese Raptor straps tight.

;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:34 pm

There is no place for them but there is no arguing that a ratcheting mechanism with web strap will secure tighter than any elastic strap. For a pack in/pack out hunt they are the wrong tool but they will tighten things down far tighter than elastic every time. If elastic straps were so secure why wouldn't we use them to tie down atvs and boats while going down the road on trailers?

I never said elastic straps didn't work for securing the sticks either, I can see the ratchets working better if they were silent though. I use Dor's kwik-straps and have no complaints. ;)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:43 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:

There is no place for them but there is no arguing that a ratcheting mechanism with web strap will secure tighter than any elastic strap. For a pack in/pack out hunt they are the wrong tool but they will tighten things down far tighter than elastic every time. If elastic straps were so secure why wouldn't we use them to tie down atvs and boats while going down the road on trailers?

I never said elastic straps didn't work for securing the sticks either, I can see the ratchets working better if they were silent though. I use Dor's kwik-straps and have no complaints. ;)

agreed 8-)

but i do have to say there not made for atvs, boats, there made for light wight stuff

again the only complaint i have about kwick straps is the snap buckle makes noise

with the raptor straps there NO noise what so ever
there just rubber
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Raptor straps are WAY cool..

I never said they tightened better than a ratchet strap.

But nevertheless they work better for deer hunting.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Zap wrote:Raptor straps are WAY cool..

I never said they tightened better than a ratchet strap.

But nevertheless they work better for deer hunting.

AGREED 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:31 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:
Buckfever wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:That is a really high set up buckfever you are using this is more of an urban hunting setting? How do you compensate for such a sharp shot angle?

I'm pretty much routinely setting up this way now, just because I've developed that mindset and I'm seemingly invisible in these sets. The angle isn't hard for me. I've always hunted the thick stuff, so I've probably killed 10-15 deer almost directly under my stand say 5 yards. I've practiced that extensively on the 3-d targets, it's pretty routine for me. I do think that a heavier arrow, a 125 grain highly penetrating head is in order.

As others said about the one lung thing how does a guy compensate for this? A few weeks ago I was 4 sticks high (spread pretty far apart, I was shooting from 20feet) and shot a doe within 12yards and only got one lung and never recovered her. I'm not sure still what went wrong, probably my lack of experience actually killing deer, but the shot looked great to me. I will have to do far more practice on the 3D targets from a height like this, this summer.

I agree. And I have to work every year to regain the proficiency, so that it's automatic. Plus in the stuff I hunt I have moments to get the shot off and the entire season is predicated on one or two maximum shot opportunities at the kind of quality animal I'm looking for. Believe me I understand.

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:52 pm

So this going to seem crazy but I guess at this point it's too late. I practice the steep angle stuff at home year round.

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Nice I have one big hallway in my college rental house we shoot in fairly regularly its only 10yards long though and no steep angle. Have to stay sharp in the off season!! I remember seeing your post in the past that the one requirement you had in buying a house was a place to practice, your wife could pick the rest! :D

I guess practice is the key to staying sharp on those steep angle shots, unfortunately in the city I don't have anywhere to practice like that without getting busted for shooting my bow in the city limits. :doh: I will have to come up with something, I have 6 sticks now and like the idea of hunting a little higher than most other guys in the woods, I may get past the wary senses of a few extra deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”