Hunting where the wolves and bears roam

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Hunting where the wolves and bears roam

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:10 pm

Do you guys ever get nervous about bears or wolves where you hunt? Do you imagine getting mauled when your walking in the forest in the dark by yourself? Have any of you ever came upon a bear while walking in the woods in darkness? I want to try hunting this huge public forest 15 miles from my home. I know there are bears and wolves in that kind of territory, I feel like I'm gonna be really nervous hunting there, especially when I may have to walk for a ways in total darkness. HAve any of you came close to a bear when walking to or leaving your stand in the dArk scary woods? Do I have anything to worry about or am I just being a wimp?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

Hunter74

Re: Hunting where the wolves and bears roam

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:28 pm

Don't be scared... You got nothing to worry about...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:13 pm

I don't really give it much thought. I've had brushes with bears and wolves. The worst case senerio is getting around a sow with cubs. I had to back out of an area once when a sow was huffing at me while her cub was up a tree very close by. If you're really worried about it I'd suggest getting a can of bear spray.

Just hunt with someone you can outrun and everything will be fine. :lol:
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:32 pm

Don't be worry...it's natural to be scared if you have no habit on this.
But rely they are no danger...of course they are some exceptions like to be between cubs and a sow.
Like Magic said a bear spray would be fine or an hand gun...with wolf no problems at all.
You can have more troubles with hogs in fact if you have them in your territory.

I did cross big Bear on my way in the dark and they where fallowed me I just scream one or two times that was enough.
:whistle:

So stay cool, and in the first time you could go with some others friends hunters.
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:20 pm

Yeah, dont worry......carry something to defend yourself. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:51 am

I would not be concerned. They want no part of a human being. (I assume you are talking about black bears)
Bear spray if it brings you comfort or a pistol if the law allows.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:08 am

They are more scared of you than you are of them... They rank low on things that give me concern in the woods. I would be more concerned with people and stray dogs... I have run into all of the above and people are by far the scariest. Animals are pretty predictable. Weirdo's? not so much... I have had some bad run ins with dogs that sometimes don't fear people including a very scary attack in the dark in Iowa once years ago, but every encounter with bears and wolves sends them packing and me just continuing on to my destination.
I think pepper spray or a .40 cal. might not be a bad idea... But its people you will likely need it for, or maybe a dog.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:29 am

dan wrote:They are more scared of you than you are of them... They rank low on things that give me concern in the woods. I would be more concerned with people and stray dogs... I have run into all of the above and people are by far the scariest. Animals are pretty predictable. Weirdo's? not so much... every encounter with bears and wolves sends them packing and me just continuing on to my destination.
I think pepper spray or a .40 cal. might not be a bad idea... But its people you will likely need it for, or maybe a dog.

X2....I occasionally bring a .40 cal with me, depends on the situation
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:32 am

I am not worried about bears and wolves and have had enough encounters with both. Most times they are long gone before you even knew they were there.
I gotta laugh at the guy that packs a big handgun because he is afraid of wolves and bears and then climbs up in his treestand without a safety harness. Too me that is much scarier than any predators out there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:45 am

john1984 wrote:Do you guys ever get nervous about bears or wolves where you hunt? Do you imagine getting mauled when your walking in the forest in the dark by yourself? Have any of you ever came upon a bear while walking in the woods in darkness? I want to try hunting this huge public forest 15 miles from my home. I know there are bears and wolves in that kind of territory, I feel like I'm gonna be really nervous hunting there, especially when I may have to walk for a ways in total darkness. HAve any of you came close to a bear when walking to or leaving your stand in the dArk scary woods? Do I have anything to worry about or am I just being a wimp?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

Here's a good read;
Jr. Saves Dan From Charging Bear
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/blog/dan/jr_saves_dan_from_a_charging_bear_b-22.html
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:56 am

Nope it's not too scary. A few years ago before deer season we were driving and noticed a black spot down in the woods. A huge bear getting ready to den up for the winter was a little groggy laying in a depression in the woods about 50yards from the path I cut through the woods to the stand I hung for opener. I had to creep by that half sleeping bear in the dark on opening morning that's the only time I've ever been scared of one in the woods, I walked slower and quieter than I ever have that day. I've never had a run in with wolves but bears we see all the time, sometimes close, sometimes far away, a lot of times with cubs too. They aren't going to bug you.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:32 am

I've been In the bear woods for most of my life. There's no need to fear bears. Sow's may give you trouble If they have a cub around but even then most times nothing would ever come about It. I've had many run Ins with sows and cubs on the ground and nothing close has ever came about It. Wolves are probably more scared of you that you are of them. I'll admit this though that I do get a tad nervous walking out of the bear woods to my truck when I hear wolves howling on my walk out trial. That howl goes right through me. It sure Is an awesome sound though!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 am

I have hunted the northwoods for 25 years in the dark, out at dark and have never once had an issue or altercation..My Dad told me when I started hunting in 1987, "The woods are the same in the dark as they are in the light," I'd have to say he knew what he was talking about!!I have seen so many bears and heard so many wolves, its crazy! Some of my spots are 30-45 minute walks through big northwoods timber. Just take your time navigating and use a good flashlight if you need to! There are a lot of hunters that will not venture out til first light up there! Many more leave their spots well before last legal light! The hunter who works a little harder and goes a little further is the one who gets on the deer in the northwoods! Good luck!!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:02 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Just take your time navigating and use a good flashlight if you need to! There are a lot of hunters that will not venture out til first light up there! Many more leave their spots well before last legal light! The hunter who works a little harder and goes a little further is the one who gets on the deer in the northwoods! Good luck!!

Well said!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”