Trail camera picture of a buck breeding a doe.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moondoondude
500 Club

Re: Trail camera picture of a buck breeding a doe.

Unread postby moondoondude » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:18 am

Nice. I run a lot of cameras and have only seen it once also. It was on Nov 7 of 2009 I believe - I always thought that the does came into heat later than that. Also, at that time, I figured only a small percentage of does would be in heat. I could be wrong again there, since the picture was of a young buck breeding the doe. I always heard that the dominant bucks in the area breed the does that first enter estrous- but there are exceptions to all rules and beliefs. I think you can learn a lot more about whitetails by hunting them and observing them for yourself, opposed to believing things you hear or read. I had 3 or 4 pictures in a sequence of that young buck breeding the doe. Regardless, when you get a picture like that, it's usually the time of the year that you want to be in the woods. Thanks for sharing.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:25 am

moondoondude wrote:Nice. I run a lot of cameras and have only seen it once also. It was on Nov 7 of 2009 I believe - I always thought that the does came into heat later than that. Also, at that time, I figured only a small percentage of does would be in heat. I could be wrong again there, since the picture was of a young buck breeding the doe. I always heard that the dominant bucks in the area breed the does that first enter estrous- but there are exceptions to all rules and beliefs. I think you can learn a lot more about whitetails by hunting them and observing them for yourself, opposed to believing things you hear or read. I had 3 or 4 pictures in a sequence of that young buck breeding the doe. Regardless, when you get a picture like that, it's usually the time of the year that you want to be in the woods. Thanks for sharing.

True that. I know some of the things I have witnessed contradict what some say they have read about.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:08 am

Stan says
I know some of the things I have witnessed contradict what some say they have read about.

No doubt. The two bucks that I witness breed the same doe is an example. First a 2 yr old chased and bred the doe, a yearling I'm guessing. The last few laps around the patch before he bred her a mature 10 point and a mature doe emerged from the timber to also witness the deed. It must have been more than he (10 pointer) could stand. As soon as the younger buck finished up, the big fella came and chased off the smaller buck then commenced to chase the younger doe until she stood for him as well. Ironically he bred her in the exact same spot as the other guy did. But only after chasing her around the 20 acre patch several times again.
As soon as he finished - he went to look for the big doe that he originally abandoned, only to have the youngster once again hook up with the smaller doe again. The ten again couldn't stand it and figured the one in the hand was better than the one in the bush and went to get her back.
Great morning afield for sure. I got my bow pulled back but couldn't close the deal on the 10, but was for sure my best hunt ever.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:25 am

Cool pic and video's... I never got anything like that on camera.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:52 am

moondoondude wrote:Nice. I run a lot of cameras and have only seen it once also. It was on Nov 7 of 2009 I believe - I always thought that the does came into heat later than that. Also, at that time, I figured only a small percentage of does would be in heat. I could be wrong again there, since the picture was of a young buck breeding the doe. I always heard that the dominant bucks in the area breed the does that first enter estrous- but there are exceptions to all rules and beliefs. I think you can learn a lot more about whitetails by hunting them and observing them for yourself, opposed to believing things you hear or read. I had 3 or 4 pictures in a sequence of that young buck breeding the doe. Regardless, when you get a picture like that, it's usually the time of the year that you want to be in the woods. Thanks for sharing.

Moon!!!Good to have you here brother.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:33 pm

GRFox wrote:

[glow=red]Moon!!!Good to have you here brother[/glow].

Agreed.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”