How big of a part of your life is about deer hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gjs4
500 Club

Re: How big of a part of your life is about deer hunting?

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:53 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
dan wrote:Hunting is supposed to be fun... But I think it can be as addictive as alcohol or drugs. There should probably be a 10 step program for some people...

This is the measuring stick I use to decide if I'm taking my hunting too seriously. When I notice that I push myself past the fun stage then it's time to back off a bit. It's easy to push harder to succeed at your passions when your not seeing the results you expected. I now work hard but I allow the success come when it's good and ready to come. I don't mind eating tags anymore and I enjoy the times between successful hunts a lot more as well.

Not sure if it is: pride, honesty or the "first step"....but I am so hooked. Guesisng past the healthy stage. Not to be "that guy", but I took my marriage for granted till i nearly lost it....and NOW I do value my wife and children more than anything else in this world. My job takes up way too much of my life...but deer hunting is about it otherwise. 90% of my friends hunt and my closest friends are die hards, i think about deer 365 days a yr. This yr, even with a refined approach, i still lost the fun in it. =Not the guy who travels out of state even- i just build and scout the family farm as much as feasible despite knowing other ground prolly holds better deer. I have probably 4 dozen whitetail books, vehicles all have sd cars, binos and AA batts.....spotter mounts on all my windows...phone full of scouting pics sites and kills...... and this is after a hard knocks reformation.....lol...i am scaring myself

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:16 pm

It used to be a lot bigger. But my career exploded and as my kids got into the ages that they really needed their Daddy, I had to pull it back. I still do the whole deal, with the late/post season scouting and making the sets trimming the lanes then. I still get 10x100 arrow sessions in at the range from an elevated position with the gear on and still will make 3 presets and have a floater. But now I only work 3-5 sets and I wait to only hunt the rut and I'm lucky to get 13 hunts a season. Actually next year I'm looking at 8 afternoon sits max. Obviously I still love it a lot because you guys know that's a huge effort for so little time in the field. But for me just to keep my hand in it it's worth it. And that I have a Booner as a target for next year is just awesome. So I'd like it to be bigger, but the rut hunting keeps me feeling that I remain a participant.
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:01 pm

Very big... I make all my family know not to expect me at any sort of doing if they schedule it anytime in October through November...

Beyond everything hunting is what keeps me in balance... It keeps me on the right path... It heals me... It's the link in my life that if taken away the entire structure would fall...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:07 am

Hunter74 wrote:Very big... I make all my family know not to expect me at any sort of doing if they schedule it anytime in October through November...

Beyond everything hunting is what keeps me in balance... It keeps me on the right path... It heals me... It's the link in my life that if taken away the entire structure would fall...

X2

My family knows and expects this from me andd they are cool with it.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:28 am

Borderline obsessed - when the frustration starts I back off a little and make it good again
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:57 am

You know I do think kids obsessed with hunting get in a lot less trouble. All the other kids when I was young were in to drugs, alcohol and getting into trouble. Hunting kept me away from all that.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:36 am

dan wrote:You know I do think kids obsessed with hunting get in a lot less trouble. All the other kids when I was young were in to drugs, alcohol and getting into trouble. Hunting kept me away from all that.

I think that's an excellent point, it keeps you out of trouble for one thing, definitely a healthy distraction. But also the process of becoming a better hunter, gets you in touch with how things are in nature, it kind of grounds you. It can serve as a great metaphor for life.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:42 am

dan wrote:You know I do think kids obsessed with hunting get in a lot less trouble. All the other kids when I was young were in to drugs, alcohol and getting into trouble. Hunting kept me away from all that.

I can't even count on both hands how many close friends of mine have DWI's. If they were in bed early for a morning hunt they wouldn't have them!

In all seriousness, it does keep you out of trouble, I know if I didn't have hunting I would need to occupy my time with something, and would probrably be out partying and at the bars every weekend, still getting into fights, and making bad decisions.

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:27 am

No doubt hunting Is Important for me. It's what I am, I'm an outdoors man. I've missed weddings for bear/elk hunting and I'll continue to miss weddings for hunting these 2 animals. Whitetails I will not miss a wedding for as the season Is much longer but I guess It depends on how good of friends I am with the folks getting married. Immediate family (not cousins) does come 1st though over hunting. It's looking like my daughter will be following me around In the woods so the 2 of us will get to share family time In the woods as well as at home. Can't be that If you ask me!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:59 am

GRFox wrote:

I can't even count on both hands how many close friends of mine have DWI's. If they were in bed early for a morning hunt they wouldn't have them!

In all seriousness, it does keep you out of trouble, I know if I didn't have hunting I would need to occupy my time with something, and would probrably be out partying and at the bars every weekend, still getting into fights, and making bad decisions.

Not only does my hunting addiction leave me with no time to get into trouble, but it also leaves me without the necessary money to sit in the bar/party.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:32 am

;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:49 am

Try to keep it in perspective...
Love God
Love others
Work hard
Hunt hard

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:08 am

It is important to me. I try not to let it be too important to anyone else. I used to be obsessed with my hunting time in the woods, tactics be darned. Nowadays with my growing family and reduced hunting time I've had to improve my tactics to get the most out of each hunt. I try to not let hunting interfere with my role as a husband, father, or friend. Deer hunting is my number 2 hobby, right behind chasing my wife around the house and trying to corral her upstairs. :)
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:30 am

virginiashadow wrote:right behind chasing my wife around the house and trying to corral her upstairs. :)

I have better luck deer hunting. :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:48 am

I'm obsessed with hunting!! Its right behind my family and God.Couldn't imagine my life without it!!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”