How big of a part of your life is about deer hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: How big of a part of your life is about deer hunting?

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:01 am

I may need to read Deerslayers article........

Very important.
More than just hunting...being outdoors with a purpose.
Scouting/shed hunting...whatever.

I would rather shed hunt for a day than hike for example.
I may...I would rather go and get a tree ready than ride my bike.
In august I would rather sit in a stand in the evening and glass then sit around a campfire.

All that stuff makes me feel better mentally and physically.

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:09 am

Well said Zap I agree there is something about being outdoors with a purpose that makes me truly happy.

I don't just deer hunt, I find enjoyment in hunting all sorts of game, fishing, and all of the off season prep work that goes into hunting. I like food plotting, shed hunting, running trail cams, shooting trap league, bowfishing, ice fishing, turkey hunting, predator hunting, glassing, land management, and scouting. To me all of that falls under "the outdoors" and it's basically top of my list.

I don't know how to structure my list in order of importance tied for first place are:

-spending time with girlfriend/friends/family, the outdoors and work/school

I don't seem to have time for much else and it doesn't bother me really
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:01 am

My list:

1) Wife, Faith, Family, Friends
2) Hunting/Outdoors (not just deer, and I love the prep work too i.e. scouting and practicing)
3) Job (I have quit jobs to go hunting or because they aren't flexible with family)

I would say hunting is a pretty huge part.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:03 am

Priority's certainly change over time... Hunting used to be more important than anything. I missed friends marriages, trick or treating with the kids, and other obligations, as well as quit jobs or worked places for less money than I deserved because of what I could get away with during hunting season... Now family comes 1st. Followed by friends and work. Its just hunting...
I think age and maturity change peoples outlook.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:05 am

In the grand scheme of life, hunting is way down on my list.

It is my #1 hobby though, not really hunting but the study of whitetails in general.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:23 am

I am ashamed to say until the last year or two I put deer hunting and especially bow hunting ahead of god, and sometimes family. It is number three now that I have my priorities right. I have to say job/career comes in waay behind deer hunting, but that's easy to say when you work for yourself. ;)
Last edited by Rutnstrut on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:26 am

good for you Rutnstrut..... :) :) that will make the hunting that much more enjoyable
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:54 am

I asked my wife if she would put a number on which hunting ranked she said 3. God, family, and then hunting.I'd say thats pretty accurate. I'm love to hunt and it consumes me, I think about it all the time. But having a wife, a one year old, and one on the way I really do enjoy my family time and make sure that they know their more important. I have a awesome wife that understands my passion for hunting and realizes that she almost completely loses me for a couple weeks a year.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:55 am

Hunting is supposed to be fun... But I think it can be as addictive as alcohol or drugs. There should probably be a 10 step program for some people...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:07 pm

dan wrote:Hunting is supposed to be fun... But I think it can be as addictive as alcohol or drugs. There should probably be a 10 step program for some people...

what.....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:27 pm

JV NC wrote:I think it would be interesting to let our wives and family members answer where THEY think hunting ranks on our list of what's important in life. ;)

LOL -
Don't ask the question as I really don't need another argument
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:21 pm

dan wrote:Hunting is supposed to be fun... But I think it can be as addictive as alcohol or drugs. There should probably be a 10 step program for some people...

At times I feel like I have a problem, if you asked my sister she would tell you I need professional help, but that's because she doesn't understand. My girl and my mother understand , hunting is not a hobby for me its a way of life, its my lifestyle.

Don't get me wrong, I still have priorities and responsibilities but my life is broken down into 3 things, and I would say I consider all 3 things equally important to me...

Family
Work
Hunting

I honestly don't know what my life would be without hunting, and its kind of scary to think about what it would be like.

I know that one day this will somewhat change, probrably after I have children. But until then, game on! :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cornfed

Unread postby cornfed » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Deer hunting and the pursuit and management of whitetail take top priority in my life. Only my kids..... whom also hunt (or I wouldn't see them much! LOL! ) could ever temporarily call me away from my whitetail addiction. I miss ALL familiy/social/school events during hunting season, and weddings, funnerals, etc..... NOTHING seems to interrupt deer hunting time. I take ALL my vacation days for HUNTING..... there is NO summer vacation, family trips to the beach, etc. I spend a few weeks of vacation time to deer hunt November and always save 1 week to turkey hunt.

I have chosen to fill my life with the enjoyable pursuit of whitetail and spend every free moment doing something to prepare for hunting. Wether we're attending the 3D shoots EVERY weekend in the late Spring and Summer to improve our shooting..... to maintaining foodplots and other habitat management projects,.... we seem to always have something going on at the property.... it's ALL geared towards our addiction. I'm honored to see that both my sons have taken to the Sport with as much love and excitement as I have! It's also an awesome feeling that knowing one day when I leave this life..... the land/farm will be in great hands!!!

So, in summary let me admit..... I'm a freak!!! I know I have a problem...... just ask my Wife, whom I generally completely forget about during the deer season! LOL!
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:18 pm

Pretty much 24, 7, 365 for me it's probably out of control but it takes alot of time to be successfull at blue collar bow hunting.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:27 pm

This is the measuring stick I use to decide if I'm taking my hunting too seriously. When I notice that I push myself past the fun stage then it's time to back off a bit. It's easy to push harder to succeed at your passions when your not seeing the results you expected. I now work hard but I allow the success come when it's good and ready to come. I don't mind eating tags anymore and I enjoy the times between successful hunts a lot more as well.

To answer the initial question: It's my #1 hobby!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”