Shooting your bow with glasses

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

Shooting your bow with glasses

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:59 am

When I shoot my bow with glasses I see 2 rows of sights. Does anyone else have this problem? My range is now maxed out at 30yrds without glasses. I tried contacts but they aren't working for me. Anyone have any suggestions so I can shoot with glasses?

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Re: Shooting your bow with glasses

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:09 am

I had lasik in 98. Best thing I did . Hated hunting with glasses and could not shoot with contacts.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:14 am

I tried but I couldnt do it either
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:20 am

I've never had a problem shooting my bow with glasses. I see one set of sights like it should be. Could there be something going on with your eyes that you don't know about or hasn't been diagnosed yet?
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:29 am

Compound - no problem.

Recurve - no way.
Lateral Bowhunter
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:40 am

I wear glasses. If you are shooting with both eyes open, that will happen. I see double pins all the time because I do not close one eye when shooting. I just select the right one for right eye dominance.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:48 am

If your not shooting with both eyes open I see double sometimes when my glasses aren't pushed up tight to my head. It's like you see a blurry sight and a clear one. Shoot the clear one. ;)
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:02 am

SAP makes a verifier lens for your peep (it's a fully contained peep unit). If you're close to or above 40, you might want to think about getting one of these. It'll clear your pins up a BUNCH.
Lateral Bowhunter
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:05 am

Mountain Man wrote:I've never had a problem shooting my bow with glasses. I see one set of sights like it should be. Could there be something going on with your eyes that you don't know about or hasn't been diagnosed yet?

I know alot of people with this exact same problem. I shoot with my dominatn eye open only.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:46 am

I dont know if its the way I anchor or what the deal is but I even close one eye and still cant get things to line up right. My stepdad cant get it either but obviously lots of guys are shooting with glasses.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:20 am

ok heres the problem i believe. i am left handed , i am left eye dominant, i shoot right handed.....so if i keep both eyes open and try to shoot it doesnt work,why??? because my dominant eye wants to focus on the target but the other eye is the shooting eye. make sense? close the non shooting eye , that all you can do. i would bet those of you seing double are the " other eye" dominant. in other words you may be shooting right handed but be left eye dominant, cause evey body i know that shoots with thier dominant eye can keep them both open while shooting..........i cannot. this is why my brother tells me i am such a lousy shot, i laugh it off but im sure he is partially right, he tries to convince me all the time to shoot left handed, i cannot im not coordinated to do so, so i deal with it. i cant wear my glasses either when i shoot, they get in the way. i hunt with out them,starting to also be part of my problem im sure....
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:51 am

I shoot with glasses and have for 45 years. I hate those stinking glasses but can live with it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:54 am

tim wrote:ok heres the problem i believe. i am left handed , i am left eye dominant, i shoot right handed.....so if i keep both eyes open and try to shoot it doesnt work,why??? because my dominant eye wants to focus on the target but the other eye is the shooting eye. make sense? close the non shooting eye , that all you can do. i would bet those of you seing double are the " other eye" dominant. in other words you may be shooting right handed but be left eye dominant, cause evey body i know that shoots with thier dominant eye can keep them both open while shooting..........i cannot. this is why my brother tells me i am such a lousy shot, i laugh it off but im sure he is partially right, he tries to convince me all the time to shoot left handed, i cannot im not coordinated to do so, so i deal with it. i cant wear my glasses either when i shoot, they get in the way. i hunt with out them,starting to also be part of my problem im sure....

I think your on to something there. I'm right handed, shoot with my right, but I'm left eye dominant. I have tried to shoot left handed and I could actually see better and I shot pretty good. The big problem is pulling the bow back for me. My stepdad is left handed and I tried his bow and its set at 55lbs. It took almost everything I had to pull it back. I guess if I got serious about making the switch I could start training those muscles. I believe that if I did I would probably shoot better just because my vision is better in the left.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:57 am

Only have an issue if my glasses aren't tight to my face. I think I would benefit from the clarifying lense mentioned though, because my pins are a tad blurry at all times, but not that it affects my shooting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:01 am

GRFox wrote:Only have an issue if my glasses aren't tight to my face. I think I would benefit from the clarifying lense mentioned though, because my pins are a tad blurry at all times, but not that it affects my shooting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

One thing to note when your looking at your target your pins will be blurry and when your looking at your pins the target will be blurry. Your eye can't keep two different distances focused at the same time. Another note on the scopes and clarifier is that in a hunting situation and you get rain on them or dew from walking in it's a PITA having rain drops in the clarifier or on your scope.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”