supplements

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: supplements

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:37 am

Last year I bought some MonsterRax minerals. This stuff doesn't come In a block form but rather a bag. I had a good conversation with Tom Lester who owns the company here In Minnesota. His stuff doesn't have all the salt that most other stuff has but Instead the minerals.
Last edited by Schultzy on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:12 am

Yea alot of the new products have things in it to help them get through the harsh winters, also great for fawns and nursing. It sucks they wont allow you to keep baiting through out the winter here.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:28 am

IMO the best thing you can do is create a food plot if you have the ground to do it... they will get vitamins, minerals, calories, and protein. Brassicas/clovers mix fit the bill well and are relatively cheap seed and prep wise
Last edited by Bucky on Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:37 am

Bucky wrote:IMO the best thing you can do is creat a food plot if you have the ground to do it... they will get vitamins, minerals, calories, and protein. Brassicas/clovers mix fit the bill well and are relatively cheap seed and prep wise

I agree.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
snoman4

Unread postby snoman4 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:53 am

It depends on where you live on supplemental mineral working or not. I live in a state where the soil has poor mineral content so supplemental minerals help a lot here. I use the trophy rocks and put molasses on top of them when they are first put out to get the deer to find them. I keep these sites going all year and the deer use them all through the year here. These rocks are mined and have all the trace minerals along with the main minerals that deer do not get from the vegetation in my area. I feed year round here. We feed soybean and corn mixtures in our feeders. We plant soybeans and iron and clay peas during the spring for the high protein content and then in the fall we plant a wheat, oat, and austrian winter pea mixture. I have experimented with all types of plots and these work best for me. Turnips, rape, kale, or any other type of brassica does not work as we dont get enough cold to make the leaves sweet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”