Can,t find his bed or his bed either.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Can,t find his bed or his bed either.

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:52 pm

I,ve tried to get onto this deer for a couple years now .I know he lives in this small marsh next to the road.I,ve cut his track many times entering the south end of marsh(#1).He comes from the east follows the road and dumps into the south end of marsh(#1). I,ve also cut his track many times coming out the NE corner of marsh(#2). heading East along the road and the into the west edge of woodlot to the east,I,ve got a few pictures of him there about 1/2 hour after dark(#3).I have also found 1 very large rub on the S.E. corner of marsh,which he made heading S.E. out of the Marsh(#4).

I also got 1 picture of him at high noon on September 4 ,2009 when it was 79 degrees out. .The tree he rubbed was the tree I had my camera in a week b/4
There were actually 2 bucks I was gettin pics of I thought the bigger one was bedding in the marsh ,but I only got pics of the smaller one.Either 1 or both these deer live year.

This second pic is both of them together in the East woodlot.

The third and fourth pic are of each of them seperate in the woodlot to the east.

I just can,t figure these 2 out ,any HELP PLEASE ?
Thanks,

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Can,t find his bed or his bed either.

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:16 pm

Can you post some closer views of each marsh you suspect he might be in? and can you also post topo's?

One thing I would say right away, is where ever you took the "high noon" pic, you had to be real close to where he was bedded that day.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:23 am

dan wrote:One thing I would say right away, is where ever you took the "high noon" pic, you had to be real close to where he was bedded that day.

Do you say this because they usually wont stray too far from their bed during daylight?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:56 am

PredatorTC wrote:
dan wrote:One thing I would say right away, is where ever you took the "high noon" pic, you had to be real close to where he was bedded that day.

Do you say this because they usually wont stray too far from their bed during daylight?

Yes...
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:54 pm

I set the camera on the trail I thought he was leaving the swamp,hoping to get mabey a night photo.You can actually see the strap from my trailcam from the road(about 30 feet from road). The elevation on the road is proably 10 feet lower then the pic of the deer.If a car had been driving by when that deer was standing there ,he would've been like 45 feet from road and mabey you would see just the tips of his antlers.It,s a little hill along the swamp right there.If you were standing where the deer was in the pic ,you would look down onto the road and down into the swamp.
In this pic the placemark D is where the pic was shot 30 feet from road.

Here's the topo.

I was just thinking back to the day I set-up the camera ,and there were 2 BIG beds with-in about 5 feet from where the deer is standing in the pic.I thought they were just night beds ,where he was laying and chewing his cud.Is it possible they were his primary day bed.If they were this deer would be just about un-touchable.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:31 pm

I finally posted them topos Dan.Also I was out last week and took a couple pics of this area.
This is a picture of the tree(where my camera was set) from the road.
This is the tree where my camera ,after i pulled the camera the buck rubbed the same tree. I,m standing next to the tree looking back to car.
Here I,m standing where my camera got the pic of the Buck at noon.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:07 am

Concentrating on where you got your trail cam photo and where I would suspect buck bedding based on the immediate area, I have marked up your maps... The yellow line marks the base of the hill you got the pic on...
I would look at the thick brush around that perimeter for a buck bed.
From there I would branch out and check all the brush clumps marked in red... Then I would walk the deepest transition line marked in blue. I would also want to check the trails you can see from the aerial view, some look like they could be human, but I would want to verify that. Marked in green.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:14 am

Here is your pic of the hill top... Look at the sides where you can see thick brush. I would look for beds on the back side of these brush piles especially if they transition to cattails... Also, look out over the cattails / swamp, and see where all the clumps of brush or tree stick out. Beds are generally right at these clumps cause there will be a slight high spot to lie on.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:44 am

I don't mean to get off subject here, but how are you guys able to draw on your pictures and maps like you do? Is there a certain website or software program you use?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:16 am

venisonassassin wrote:I don't mean to get off subject here, but how are you guys able to draw on your pictures and maps like you do? Is there a certain website or software program you use?

I use photo-bucket... I click the edit button above the image, then click decorate, then click on the pencil/draw option.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:32 am

I could also imagine the buck coming from the woods on the far right, and going right across that wide open crop field,crossing the road, and heading for that swamp.The cam picked up the deer walking away(his rump was facing the road).
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”