Some good deer/deer hunting books

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: Some good deer/deer hunting books

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:22 pm

When I was a teen I went out and bought every one of those Greg Miller books, he was my idol. It's been awhile since I've read a good hunting book, usually get my fill on the site here. I'll have to pick up a couple of these!

When better is possible, good is never good enough
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Don Higgens Hunting trophy whitetails in the real world. This is a good read.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:25 pm

I really like reading a good hunting book and have accumulated quite a few over the years. Just took a quick count and I and have at least 75 books right now.

Other than many excellent ones that have already been listed I also like.....

Hunting Open Country Mule Deer by Dwight Schuh

Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails by John & Chris Eberhart

Precision Bowhunting by John & Chris Eberhart

Bowhunting Tactics That Deliver Trophies by Steve Bartylla

Advanced Stand Hunting Strategies by Steve Bartylla

Shed Hunting-A Guide To Finding White-Tailed Deer Antlers by Joe Shead

And brand new ones I just got for Christmas....

Tracking Wounded Deer by Richard P. Smith

Making The Most Of Your Deer by Dennis Walrod
Great book about field dressing, butchering, venison preparation, tanning, antlercraft, taxidermy, soapmaking and more.

Quality Venison Cookbook by Steve and Gale Loder

Wilderness Survival by Gregory J. Davenport
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:05 pm

I've got most of the ones listed above. I absolutely love Mapping Trophy Bucks and I am a long time fan of Greg Miller. He is the real deal and made his bones on killing big bucks over the years. Last year my dad gave me "500 Deer Hunting Tips: Strategies, Techniques, & Methods (The Complete Hunter) Written By: Bill Vanzias. It's got some decent info and alot of it most people overlook but after you read it, it makes sense. I keep it on the coffee table year round when it's gets quiet around the house which isn't often with a newborn. It also makes great for bathroom reading....just sayin......It's better than 90% of the "hunting" mags out there.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
SaddleMaster

Unread postby SaddleMaster » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:01 am

I'm going to add Timeless Bowhunting by Roy Marlow. Not a hunting strategy book but still a great book for any bow hunter. I like how he talks about how a lot of bow hunters miss high and he gives some techniques to prevent that problem. He has a good way of making technical archery stuff easier to understand.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:02 am

Mike wrote:
jack_4mn wrote:Someone had mentioned another book in a thread similar to this one. I believe it was written by a guy who hunts "beast" style and was really into scent elimination (not Eberhart). Can't for the life of me, remember what his name was...

Might be this one, I have an extensive library and this one is top 3 for sure, most overall content probably with most info on when to hunt. http://www.pressureddeer.com/

Many unique ideas in there, stuff you haven't read elsewhere, I have a few new strategies that I think will put me in THE spot to kill this fall in some areas I didn't think I could get in.

Interesting about this guy. He has some kind of monthly video club also...wasn't sure if he was serious or a snake oil saleman.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:32 pm

I want to read gene wensel "come November" but haven't ordered it yet.

Don't forget about Dan's book!!

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/hbshop/13-book
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:06 pm

tim wrote:MAPPING TROPHY BUCKS----BRAD HERNDON, BEST DEER HUNTING BOOK I HAVE EVER READ. i like stories as much as the next guy, when it comes to info this is it.

X2

MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:07 pm

I've read a few good bowhunting books. I've read a few of Greg Miller's books good read. Also Moonbeams by Jeff Murray and probably my favorite is Hunting Whitetails in the Real World by Don Higgins a must read. I haven't purchases Dan's book yet.Maybe in the near future..

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:56 pm

Greg Miller's "Aggressive Whitetail Hunting".

Many of his statements could have been pulled directly from this site. Not all though. It is a little dated (1994) but he covers scouting, speed scouting, small tracts of land, hunting with different tactics throughout the season, stand placement (pretty basic there but good diagrams), and a few small deer drive strategies.

I found it to be a solid book with no fluff. He covers scents and odor control, but don't throw away the whole book because of it.

I read it a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. You can tell when you read it that he puts a significant amount of thought and effort into his hunting.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:57 pm

The Eberhart's have been mentioned, but their book Whitetail Access has not. Just finished this up and it's a great read. It's a first hand account Chris Eberhart's 2005 or 2006 season. He pretty much hunted most of the Midwest, over 3 months out of a van. He details how he did it on the cheap. I really enjoyed it.

I also read Bowhunting Whitetails the Eberhart Way, and there is a little overlap, but they're definitely different books. One is heavier on tactics and one is more if a story. Both available on Kindle.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:56 am

Along with many listed above - I pay attention to anything Bobby Worthington and Mike Mitton puts out. Between Wensels, Eberhardt , Hunting beast site and Bobby's writings, I have framed most of my hunting around similar tactics. Back in the day I soaked up anything I could get my hands on from Paul Brunner, Wensels, Roger Rothar(sp) and Myles Keller.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:05 am

I've read the majority of the books already listed. Another one I would like to add is whitetail magic by Roger Rothaar. Very good read. A lot of stories of locating and hunting individual bucks.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:02 am

Wlog wrote:I've read the majority of the books already listed. Another one I would like to add is whitetail magic by Roger Rothaar. Very good read. A lot of stories of locating and hunting individual bucks.

×2. I've had whitetail magic for probably 15 years and I still go back and read some chapters. Another good one is Hunting pressured whitetails by Bill Vale.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”