Cattle Ranches?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Cattle Ranches?

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:49 am

I've heard of marsh techniques, and hill country techniques, tracking...etc. But how many of you hunt cattle ground?

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Zap

Re: Cattle Ranches?

Unread postby Zap » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:52 am

pic from stand........

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:54 am

I've seen many of those myself, even on public. :o
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:55 am

Thats alot of BULL........ :lol:
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:58 am

I had one pasture that contained 3 about that size! :o :( :x

Rancher said they won't do what he wants them to do, and they won't leave.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:02 pm

I would not mess with a bull!!!!!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:05 pm

The best thing about hunting cattle ranches, is the paths the cows plow through the thick cedars. Cows and deer travel the same routes.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:06 pm

The bulls we had, were shy, and would leave if they saw you. They even winded me like a deer would.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Zap wrote:pic from stand........

He was not shy.......

But you can tell that if you look in his eyes..... :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Spysar wrote:I've heard of marsh techniques, and hill country techniques, tracking...etc. But how many of you hunt cattle ground?

In Wisconsin you don't see many big bucks in with the cows... They like the thicker cover and cattle seem to eat so much so fast that there is not much cover left. Where I have seen some big bucks in with cattle is on steep ridges or other spots that stay thick despite the cattle because they can't get at it as easy... I hunted a big cattle ranch out in Montana and that was different. There was not a ton of cover anywhere in or out of the cattle range. There were very few cattle per acre in comparison to Wisconsin and deer did seem to mingle with the cattle just fine.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Most of the time the cattle are gone for hunting season after being summered out there, where I hunt. Some of the public ground even has cattle run out there in summer. I met one old time rancher that didn't give a crap. He had an isolated block of public in his private that I could boat to. He told me if grass grows out there, he's letting the cattle eat it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:32 pm

I have done quite a bit of hunting in and around cattle. Deer are not afraid of cattle. They do however give them some space and keep their distance. Cattle are very noisy when moving in the brush. If you are hunting a bottle neck or a neck down and cattle are in it deer will not go through but rather skirt the area.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:35 pm

My 40th b-day present from the wife was a Buck hunt in the Panhandle of TX on a cattle ranch...

First morning the guide droped me off at a cattle gate and says "walk down the fence and take a right at the ribbon then go about 60 yards to the big tree - You'll find a ladder stand to sit in."

Of course it's pitch black and he doesn't mention ANYTHING about cattle in that field (in his defense I didn't ask :evil: )
Son Of a Beatch, if I didn't walk up and down that fence line 3 times before I realized the ribbon was 300 yards down the fence and inbetween me and the ribbon was cattle the size of houses.
I couldn't see them at first, just heard them, and alot of them.
Their quite nosey by the way...
So out of fear for my life I loaded my gun and later that day I told the guide - he just laughed. He said that one shot would have coasted me $10k...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Stanley wrote:I have done quite a bit of hunting in and around cattle. Deer are not afraid of cattle. They do however give them some space and keep their distance. Cattle are very noisy when moving in the brush. If you are hunting a bottle neck or a neck down and cattle are in it deer will not go through but rather skirt the area.

I agree with Stanley. I have hunted a lot of pastured ground and the deer tend to keep some distance when the cows are around. It can be good, but cattle definitely do a number on the available cover.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:11 pm

The cattle make thickets that you would not be able to walk through, accessable.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”