River crossing question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

River crossing question

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:21 pm

Do big bucks cross rivers in winter when unpressured? Seems like they'd get ice on their coat...
Just curious what others have found....

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

BCam

Re: River crossing question

Unread postby BCam » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:31 pm

yes....they cross rivers around here and go through the bottoms to get to the high bogs all through the winter.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:47 pm

If they're not frozen, they'll cross if they want to.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:03 pm

I have seen them cross rivers that were slush. Came out shaking off icicles. They do prefer not to cross rivers, at least this has been my experience hunting river bottoms for 30 + years.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks 4 the responses. I think it would change bedding in the winter or late fall. From my somewhat limited experience the swamps and river bottoms seem to have little activity in late season

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:32 pm

They don't seem to mind cold water. New ice is a different story. I've noticed when the ice first forms they avoid it. I don't know if it's the footing or if they somehow know the ice isn't safe.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:46 am

magicman54494 wrote:They don't seem to mind cold water. New ice is a different story. I've noticed when the ice first forms they avoid it. I don't know if it's the footing or if they somehow know the ice isn't safe.

I somewhat agree with this... It seems that 1st ice when its to thin to support the deer drives them nuts. I think they keep busting thru and then have to try and get back up on the ice. I have seen blood on the ice where they cut themselves crashing thru.
I have noticed less deer in the marshes when its frozen, but there are a few more when its frozen solid then when its partail... Anybody else see this?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:59 am

I think the noise factor of breaking ice give them the willies. I know I heard them breaking ice and it's noisy.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:06 pm

When I used to hunt the Marshes late season, if it would flood on a good rain and freeze out over the primary trail, a new trail would form skirting the ice. Saw that many times. If the creek isn't frozen, river crossings continue, unimpeded, even in January.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:06 pm

When I used to hunt the Marshes late season, if it would flood on a good rain and freeze out over the primary trail, a new trail would form skirting the ice. Saw that many times. If the creek isn't frozen, river crossings continue, unimpeded, even in January.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:20 pm

I have spent a bunch of time hunting rivers in the U.P and my experience has been that the deer dont mind crossing shallow areas (less that 6" deep)of semi frozen river. If the river is 12-24 inches deep, they cross if necessary, but will go to crossings they know are shallower given the choice. I have watched countless deer use a full frozen river for a easy walking path. They will not hesitate one bit to walk on solid ice
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:38 pm

The reason I asked this question was that I would think bucks would b more hesitant to bed near rivers in late season or winter

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:23 pm

wmihunter wrote:The reason I asked this question was that I would think bucks would b more hesitant to bed near rivers in late season or winter

My experience on properties where the core buck bedding is adjacent to the creek/river is that the core bedding does not change when the creek/river freezes. I don't observe that they regard that as a safety barrier. If that's what you're thinking.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”