PredatorTC 3rd chance buck!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

PredatorTC 3rd chance buck!

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Here is the post for the guys who may have missed it in my other thread!

I started seeing this buck in early July about a mile from where I shot him with different buck bedding in a pothole just off the road. I got a lot of footage of him.
I went after him right away early season but the tall grass that made up his bedding area was all blown down so he relocated. He started popping up on camera on a piece of land I can hunt so I paid attention to where he was being seen and narrowed him down to one bedding area because I had photos of him heading into it. Muzzle loader season came and I was frustrated. My first morning out, I spotted this buck with a doe.
I snuck close to him and shot and missed. Later that night I set up again and he came back looking for his doe. I made a quick shot and missed again! I was frustrated and looking for payback! A few nights after the muzzle loader season ended I went shinning and lit him up. I got great film and was excited to see him still alive. I hunted a few bedding areas morning and night with no luck seeing the big boy. Then the other morning we got snow. I waited a day so the deer could make some tracks and went for a walk. I walked the edge of the swamp and field looking for any big set of tracks where I lit this buck up. I put in about three hours of walking and I found a good set of tracks cutting into the swamp. I sat and thought for a while in the snow about why this deer would be cutting in this way if it was him. It made perfect sense; this buck was cutting across wide open fields and walking past almost no trees. He was cutting in the swamp about 150 yards downwind of where I had trail cam pictures of him cutting in the swamp in October. I never would have thought a buck would cut across fields like this head into the swamp where he did. That’s why he did it; because no one thinks of it. SO I decided to set up! The wind was perfect this morning. I got in early and set up my lone wolf. The wind was perfect; if he were to come in it would be in both of our favors. At very first light I looked up and saw two deer coming. It was him followed by a doe/fawn!!!! I could not believe he was doing what I expected. He walked all the way across the field straight at me and I decided not to touch the camera. I didn’t want to chance him seeing me messing with it. He got to 20 yards and I whistled to stop him. My whistler was froze and made a funny sound. :lol: He hopped away and was now at 30 yards. I quickly set the pin on him and squeezed off and saw my nock disappear. The shot looked “ok”. He ran on top of a hill and stood for 20 seconds and trotted over the other side. I decided to give it some time and ran home to get my dad. An hour later we came back and walked over the hill. He was nowhere to be seen. There was almost no blood but the arrow was drenched! I wanted to puke! I was worried I hit him in the leg with the lack of blood. We decided to at least follow his tracks to the other end of the field. At one point my dad looked up towards a small brushy point that stuck out into the field. There he was!! Dead! I was pumped! How could there be almost no blood and have him die that quick. Turns out I hit him high and back but passed through both lungs. He should have bled way more. It was super weird. He was a great buck, my biggest ever! This is the first target buck I have ever been after that I took and it’s a great feeling. Once again, I can honestly say that if it was not for Dan and all you guys on the forum I would have never gotten this buck. Thanks Hunting Beast!!

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz10 ... to/mf2.jpg
[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQIXaNyKBk[/bbvideo]

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: PredatorTC 3rd chance buck!

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:40 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Awesome deer - awesome Persistance!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:52 pm

DUDE! AWESOME! CONGRATS! I'm pumped for ya man way to stick with it that is an impressive deer and even better story!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Congrats!
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Must be nice...
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:13 pm

Congrats brother. You earned it!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:14 pm

BowtechHunting wrote:Must be nice...

Does this mean congratulations?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Awesome buck and great story to boot.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Great job staying on him and not giving up. You deserved this buck with all of the hard work you put into figuring him out. I couldn't be happier for you!! :)

Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Awesome! Congratulations!

cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:40 pm

PTC it has been pretty darn cool watching you grow as a hunter thru the beast. Thats one cool thing about this site is you can see every ones progress as hunters as the years wain on. You put alot of hard work into each and hunt and scout during the offseason and the proof is right in your hands. Your a great contributer to site. I pray you never grow tired of it and each year gets better and better for you! Super stoked you got the ol' boy and Merry Christmas.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Awesome! Great buck! Great story!

Third time is a charm ;)

Thanks for the little extra inspiration. Looking forward to getting out after Christmas plans with the family. :D
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:36 pm

GRFox wrote:
BowtechHunting wrote:Must be nice...

Does this mean congratulations?

LOL that or merry Christmas?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:33 am

Wow, thats really awesome!! Congrats on a beast of a buck. How much did he weigh, he looks huge? Like some others said you keep advancing more each year. Not many late season buck kills if any on here yet, but it doesn't suprise me at all that you were the one to get it done. Congats!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”