A little heads up for the northern folks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

A little heads up for the northern folks

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:44 am

Doe fawns must be starting to smell good!! 8-) My last 2 sits (yesterday evening and the evening before) bucks were chasing doe fawns. The doe fawns themselves were acting goofy prior to the bucks even showing up so I kinda figured they might be coming In soon. The chasing was being done by 1.5 year old bucks but there was also a very Intense sparring match going on 60 yards east of me but I couldn't see who the bucks were. It wasn't an all out fight but they weren't just screwing around either. It sounded like there was some good bone there by the sounds of It. There was a group of 5 doe's just south of where these bucks were fighting. They blew out of there when the sparring match started to get real Intense. Also this morning at 4:00 AM I spotted a nice 2.5 year old In my headlights with his nose to the ground trailing a fawn while driving my milk truck. They were on the edge of an alfalfa field across the road from the land I hunt. I was hoping this buck made the gun season, great to see. I can't hunt till tomorrow evening or possibly not till Monday evening. Depends on If I get done with work In time :x

Anyhow just thought I'd give some of you the heads up that the doe fawns are getting there (at least around here anyway).

BigHunt

Re: A little heads up for the northern folks

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:28 am

Schultzy wrote:Doe fawns must be starting to smell good!! 8-) My last 2 sits (yesterday evening and the evening before) bucks were chasing doe fawns. The doe fawns themselves were acting goofy prior to the bucks even showing up so I kinda figured they might be coming In soon. The chasing was being done by 1.5 year old bucks but there was also a very Intense sparring match going on 60 yards east of me but I couldn't see who the bucks were. It wasn't an all out fight but they weren't just screwing around either. It sounded like there was some good bone there by the sounds of It. There was a group of 5 doe's just south of where these bucks were fighting. They blew out of there when the sparring match started to get real Intense. Also this morning at 4:00 AM I spotted a nice 2.5 year old In my headlights with his nose to the ground trailing a fawn while driving my milk truck. They were on the edge of an alfalfa field across the road from the land I hunt. I was hoping this buck made the gun season, great to see. I can't hunt till tomorrow evening or possibly not till Monday evening. Depends on If I get done with work In time :x

Anyhow just thought I'd give some of you the heads up that the doe fawns are getting there (at least around here anyway).

good luck 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Here in NY I saw a 1.5 after a doe on thursday morning while I was driving. Just kinda confused me as I thought it should be 28 days after the peak of the rut, and it seems to peak here around the 2nd week of Nov, a lot longer ago than 28 days. Any thoughts? Is it only 28 days since your peak?
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Wish I wasn't in dirty old Milwaukee this week... :(
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:04 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Wish I wasn't in dirty old Milwaukee this week... :(

:lol: hey know
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:01 pm

i went out the last 2 nights and am also starting to see bucks chasing/checking fawns...saw more 2 yr olds chasing then yearlings...few grunts here and there
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Awesome heading up north (Washburn county) for 2 days starting Monday was going for meat but maybe I will get a chance at my first buck with a bow - 2 years of no horns has me depressed - thanks for info

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
RED OAK

Unread postby RED OAK » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:35 pm

I too have seen some sniffing/chasing/scraping in the last few days here in WC WI. Even had a few new bucks show up on cameras.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:49 am

I would have brought you a present if I were invited...

Good luck Steve!!!! Merry Holidays! :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:57 am

thanks for the info
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:30 am

Friday night, I saw a year and a half following a fawn.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:07 am

If I could see a fawn right now I'd be happy.. Talk about a slow last couple sits! The woods im hunting are completely vacated...

Walked around some really awesome property yesterday for a few hours.. Through swamps, small islands, thick woods, etc, and kicked up one doe the whole time..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”