outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:36 am

New author agrees....we should track deer right away

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

wmihunter

Re: outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:36 am

wmihunter wrote:New author agrees....we should track deer right away

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:43 am

wmihunter wrote:New author agrees....we should track deer right away

got a ink to the article?
DeereGuy

Unread postby DeereGuy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:44 am

I have a neighbor and between him and his friend lost 4a deer this year. They began tracking immediately....jumped them several times and lost all of them. They couldn't even tell me when they were hit. I know this because they came to me for help in tracking after they lost blood. The details are much longer than this but if they would have waited especially after the fist time jumping them they may have found them.

After my 5th deer this year he came over and asked me where he should be amimg.

I just don't agree with tracking immediately in most cases.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Be safe and enjoy!
Bob
2011 Parker Enforcer
1976 Bear Kodaik Magum Recurve
Summit Viper SD climber
Ameritech Stackhouse ground blind
Grim Reaper 100gr. Razor Cut SS 3 blade 1.75 broadheads
2 Wildgame D8 trail cams
Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport 450 RF
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:52 am

I have lost deer due to trailing too soon... tough way to learn a lesson.

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted... ;)
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:02 am

Spysar wrote:I have lost deer due to trailing too soon... tough way to learn a lesson.

X2
Unless I see them tip over in front of me or thrashing close by - I let them sit for a minimum 1 hour.
After looking at the arrow and/or blood it may dicate wether I start tracking or not...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:33 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Spysar wrote:I have lost deer due to trailing too soon... tough way to learn a lesson.

X2
Unless I see them tip over in front of me or thrashing close by - I let them sit for a minimum 1 hour.
After looking at the arrow and/or blood it may dicate wether I start tracking or not...

A big X3.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:34 am

Well, I believe that most of us have lost deer due to waiting to long... Its just that most people write those deer off as "would of never been found anyway deer"
Yes, in some cases tracking to soon would certainly cause you to loose a deer, but waiting to track one that is hit in some parts of the body and vitals can also cause you to loose the deer.
Thats why I wanted a link to the story, so I could see if the guy was referring to those type of hits.
I see no reason to ever wait 1/2 to a hour... Lungs, heart, major artery's kill in minutes or seconds. Guts can take 12 hours, liver can take 6 hours or more... What kills them in a 1/2 hour to an hour?
I have literately gotten several bucks by pushing them so they ran out of blood and never had a chance to clot up. When a flesh or one lunged deer is pushed, it keeps bleeding and you keep the adrenalin ( a natural blood thinner ) pumping, along with an increased blood flow due to heart rate.
I helped Andrea get one of his biggest bucks by pushing it till it ran out of blood after it was hit in the knee... I got a lower leg hit, and several one lungers of my own, not to mention others that I am sure I would not of recovered if not pushed...
You do have to know where the deer was hit or be able to read the hair and blood sign to know where it was hit. And obviously, you need the room to push the deer without the worry of pushing it to a waiting hunter or off the land.
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:38 am

dan wrote: And obviously, you need the room to push the deer without the worry of pushing it to a waiting hunter or off the land.

That is one of my issues hunting a small piece of private. It hasn't burned me yet but it's in the back of my mind.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:46 am

dan wrote: but waiting to track one that is hit in some parts of the body and vitals can also cause you to loose the deer.
I see no reason to ever wait 1/2 to a hour... Lungs, heart, major artery's kill in minutes or seconds. Guts can take 12 hours, liver can take 6 hours or more... What kills them in a 1/2 hour to an hour?

All good points Dan.

My thoughts are alot of people "THINK" they made a great shot ALL the time.
If they're honest with the shot and slow down their mind/adrenaline to read body language,
listen carefully and also read blood types/colors or pieces of anatomy that are left behind - they have a much better chance of recovery.

If they are inexperienced or maybe just don't know - I vote for them to wait longer, believing more will be recovered.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:25 am

i lost 2 of my deer this year . both bucks the first i hit liver, i waited 6 hours only to walk by him 2 or 3 times due to no blood trail. i believe he died within a few minutes due to where and how i found him lying. the 2nd i thought i had a good hit but i was obviously low. i waited an hour blood everywhere and he went 80 yardds and bedded after i kicked him up he barely went anywhere and sounded like he fell over this happened twice then gained composure and went a mile as the crow flies he was seen getting up out of his bed around 9 hours later walking superslow with his head down. was recovered 30 yards from that spot. it makes me wonder would i have found him had i let him lay longer that morning i shot him? or would he have clotted and recovered , im not so sure either way cause when i kicked him up the 3rd time and he gained his composure he never ran as eveidence of the track job. and continues bleeding quite a bit at times . we had 2 videos clips of him walking by a camera when i was tracking him and he was walking so slow he triggered the camera the 2nd time with head down. we couldnt tell in either clip where he was shot as he was walking away from the camera on oppisite side i hit him even though i had complete pass thru. im very luck to have both bucks but persistance is key and we will never know what answer is correct in most circumstances because we never know exactly what damage was done by the broadhead. having video to review if you are filming your hunts obviously would make the decision much easier, i dont video my hunts. when the shot presents itself try as i may i know i cant completely/accurately remember each and every detail , i think i do sometimes but i go into auto pilot and i take the shot and the adrenaline surges out of control at times. this makes for recalling each situation accuratelyand then the second guessing comes in. should i or shouldnt i track/ was my hit good or wasnt it.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:49 am

Tim,
Sometimes what I see with my eyes and what I SEE LATER ON VIDEO ARE TWO COMPLETLY DIFFERENT HITS... I tend to believe the video footage.

If they are inexperienced or maybe just don't know - I vote for them to wait longer, believing more will be recovered.

I somewhat agree, but if there is any possibility of it being far back in the liver or guts, the wait should be a lot longer than an hour.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:30 pm

Last edited by Carol on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected url link

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”