Recap of a New Hampshire Whitetail Season... (long read)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Recap of a New Hampshire Whitetail Season... (long read)

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:19 pm

I figured I show a little of the East Coast Highlights from a Wannabee...
I would rate my season a 9...
My goal for the season was to bag a +110" buck any method (except by vehicle ;) )

It actually started like most of yours - with offseason scouting. - A few good prospects and my confidence escalated for the opener on Sept 15th!

Archery's opening night I had a Doe with her Fawn in front of me, as close as 7 yards at times - I even picked the rib I wanted to send my 100 thunderhead into. :twisted:
However my quest for a decent buck won out and watched them disappear 30-minutes later.
Finally at last light I could see two bucks at 50-yards (they didn't cooperate) and was hoping it was the buck from the last picture. (I need night vision)
Deer season slows down dramatically in Oct for me as I do a fair amount of bird hunting (see flying critters for full story)

Up to camp for Muzzleloader opener on Saturday Oct. 30th (see Bear section for full story) and my buddy bagged a Bear on the evening sit for Deer. Gotta love it!!!
A good snowstorm had hit S. NH that evening (at home & 1 3/4 hours away) so we only hunted the AM and packed up to head home & take care of the families -
I would have loved to stay with tracking snow, but 1/3 of the State had lost power...

Great feeling - During the offseason I helped an older friend scout his area in S. NH using my trails camers and helped him place a ladder stand.
Nov. 1st - 168lb - 10 pointer (same guy I helped in 2008 with a 9-pointer - WTF I can't catch a break :) )

Firearm season opened Nov. 9th with no sightings around home and the 1st day I could get to camp was on my Dad's 18th anniversary of his death (Nov 17th).
I have always taken this day off to hunt and reflect on my best friend / mentor's life!

It was a lucky day - I jumped an 8-pointer that I took a running shot at - missed.
He then stopped at 60-70 yards with only a neck shot possible, free-hand shooting isn't my best attribute...
Well - I need to practice a little more, as he ran off like a freight train... :oops:
My 2nd Dad was at camp with me and the next day I described where I needed him to go so I could push to him.
He had just had hernia surgery two-weeks prior, so I was the Dog! He bagged this basket 8-pointer that dressed out at 160lbs.

I was as happy as can be for my hunting buddy, as he was the one who introduced me to hunting 30-seasons ago!
This also gave me the opportunity to go after my quest of +110" buck, that this one certainly wouldn't have hit...
The last night we got snow and picked up a massive track. Of course the snow didn't stay on the ground but for 2-days

Walking in a winter-wonder-land!

Note the big track filled with urine and the small Doe track off to the side

That's a big tree to be rubbing uphill!!!

Size comparison

His bed location amongst the trees with a steep drop off in back

I never caught up with him that weekend, but a conversation with a fellow hunter while in the woods confirmed my suspicions, along with picking up my trail camera.
When I got home from the 4-day hunt I found out what he looked like - Yahtzee!

I went back to the area and placed my camera once I retuned, then picked it up before leaving - I guess I should have stayed put?!
This weekend was my last chance to get to camp and hunt for this Beast for the rest of the season, hopefully we will meet next year!

Surely disappointed I sat on Dec 2nd (2-days before the end of firearms).
After sitting for 4-hours around home in S. NH - I was disgusted with no sightings and sick over the big-one I couldn't chase.
I talked myself out of hunting Sat AM and PM along with Sunday AM. Finally I reasoned with myself to go get my climber I left setup in anticipation of returning 2-days prior.

Luck would come my way for the last sit of my season with a firearm. While disgusted in my tree I texted my best buddy.
I kiddingly asked why God or my deceased Father (Marty) couldn't send one of us a deer. 10-Miuntes later I had this little one at 17-yards.
I watched him for 10-min. HOPING at the very least a mature Doe would follow.
Finally he picked up my scent and knowing he was ready to bolt I raised my shotgun, released my safety and pulled the trigger.
When I get home my son Jake says " Daddy I'm a little happy for you" - so I ask him what he means...
He says - " If you got a big buck I would be really happy, but you got a little buck so I'm only a little happy" - LOL

My quest was a +110", but the minimum was meat for the freezer with 20-minutes to spare...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BigHunt

Re: Recap of a New Hampshire Whitetail Season... (long read)

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:23 pm

nice 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:34 pm

It sounds like you had quite a few adventures this season mixed with some success. It ain't over yet Ed, good luck in Ohio!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Great post.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:04 pm

Super post Ed.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't know whether to x2 Muddy's comments or Stanley's. Great season recap

That sounds like Hard luck Buck contest material.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:53 am

8-)
Nice season!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:04 am

Go get em in Ohio....good luck man. 8-)
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:48 am

Great recap Ed and congrats on the deer!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Straightshot

Unread postby Straightshot » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:57 am

Good post and good luck with the smoke pole in Ohio.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:38 am

Great post, hope Ohio is good to you.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:26 am

Ed, good season man and way to pull it out in the final minutes! You work extremely hard and I would not be suprised if you have the best season of your life next year. I hope that big boy walks by at 10 yards for you.

Brett
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:18 am

Awesome recap. That buck you have on trailcam and the one you tracked...that thing is a hog, you think he made it through?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:01 am

Spysar wrote:Awesome recap. That buck you have on trailcam and the one you tracked...that thing is a hog, you think he made it through?

I believe they are the same deer or they are within 1/2 mile of the two spots (camera pick verses bed area)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”