Interesting observation this year...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JRM6868
The Terminator

Interesting observation this year...

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:12 pm

One thing I noticed this year while hunting hill country was rutting activity was high in the AM and as it heated up around noon to 3 most of the activity was happening in the bottoms where it was cooler. Anybody else notice anything that might help them in the future this year?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BigHunt

Re: Interesting observation this year...

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:15 pm

JRM6868 wrote:One thing I noticed this year while hunting hill country was rutting activity was high in the AM and as it heated up around noon to 3 most of the activity was happening in the bottoms where it was cooler. Anybody else notice anything that might help them in the future this year?

hmmm i didnt notice :? good observation JR
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Good observation.

Makes sense.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:29 pm

I like your thought process.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:42 pm

When I hunted hilly land this year during the rut... I saw lots of midday movement low, especially when combined with strong winds. However, I also saw buck movement high on the same lands during midday. It seemed that on that particular property it was the wind speed more than anything else that determined high/low. But you can only observe so much sitting in one stand at a time. It does make sense that more low movement could occur during periods of higher temps.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:06 pm

I made a handful of observations this year based on weather conditions and deer movement, my Lone wolf stand, and terrain features.

The biggest thing I made not of was the amount of deer movement I saw between 11am and 3pm on COOL sunny days with slight winds out of the south.

One still morning it was 17 degrees, no clouds in the sky and no wind. In relatively flat, bigwoods terrain. I dropped a milkweed and it rose straight up in the air almost as though the heat rising off my body carried it up as it rose. Pretty weird stuff.

Observed the seat post on my 2007 USA made assault flex like crazy when I cam locked it, it creaked and popped when I shifted my weight. After discussing with GrFox found that the best and only way to use the stand is no cam-locking an use both straps. Also left the stand hung over night in an freezing rain storm and learned to always check my buckles because they tend to slip when they freeze up...I almost went for a ride.

I noticed that deer don't tend to like consistency in cover. Majority of my deer sightings occurred on the fringes of very thick cover adjoining a change in elevation or a transition to a different form of thick cover.

Found all of my biggest rubs on the trunks of Cedar trees.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:21 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I made a handful of observations this year based on weather conditions and deer movement, my Lone wolf stand, and terrain features.

The biggest thing I made not of was the amount of deer movement I saw between 11am and 3pm on COOL sunny days with slight winds out of the south.

One still morning it was 17 degrees, no clouds in the sky and no wind. In relatively flat, bigwoods terrain. I dropped a milkweed and it rose straight up in the air almost as though the heat rising off my body carried it up as it rose. Pretty weird stuff.

Observed the seat post on my 2007 USA made assault flex like crazy when I cam locked it, it creaked and popped when I shifted my weight. After discussing with GrFox found that the best and only way to use the stand is no cam-locking an use both straps. Also left the stand hung over night in an freezing rain storm and learned to always check my buckles because they tend to slip when they freeze up...I almost went for a ride.

I noticed that deer don't tend to like consistency in cover. Majority of my deer sightings occurred on the fringes of very thick cover adjoining a change in elevation or a transition to a different form of thick cover.

Found all of my biggest rubs on the trunks of Cedar trees.

Good observations. Things that will help in the future hunts and possibly make you more successful in the future. I've noticed the transition or elevation also before. Deer like transitions in cover whether it's a fencerow field edge or in the woods of the hills they travel edges a lot.

GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:36 am

I noticed more than ever this year in farm country that the deer during the rut travel on the downwind edge of the woods. I also noticed some bucks bedding on the very corner of a woodlot where they could see 270 degrees of a field and smell the whole woodlot.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:02 am

GRUD wrote:I noticed more than ever this year in farm country that the deer during the rut travel on the downwind edge of the woods. [glow=red]I also noticed some bucks bedding on the very corner of a woodlot where they could see 270 degrees of a field and smell the whole woodlot.[/glow]

I have a spot like this too, it's really hard to hunt close to those beds.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:33 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:
GRUD wrote:I noticed more than ever this year in farm country that the deer during the rut travel on the downwind edge of the woods. [glow=red]I also noticed some bucks bedding on the very corner of a woodlot where they could see 270 degrees of a field and smell the whole woodlot.[/glow]

I have a spot like this too, it's really hard to hunt close to those beds.

Yep... I see that a lot. Corners, fingers, and points.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:36 am

Observed the seat post on my 2007 USA made assault flex like crazy when I cam locked it, it creaked and popped when I shifted my weight. After discussing with GrFox found that the best and only way to use the stand is no cam-locking an use both straps.

I would be willing to bet there is something wrong on your stand, like the connection between the batwing and post making the noise, or a nylon washer not put on right.... None of my stands, or my friends stands do that.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:24 am

Observed the seat post on my 2007 USA made assault flex like crazy when I cam locked it, it creaked and popped when I shifted my weight.

You need to fix that. Just one of the things that can be controlled by the hunter.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:41 am

I noticed the rut action in the bottoms also. I hunted one of my bottom spots on a very windy day in early November, at one point I dropped a milkweed seed and it hovered within a 10" area at stand height for 8 minutes. Not really anything important, I just thought it was cool.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:52 am

Just thought it was something to put in the memory bank for the future. Seems the rut gets warm every year now with cooler weather in the am and warmer in the pm.

VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:31 am

During the rut, I hunt an oak flat that is in a huge bottom. They chase like crazy there in the afternoons. I have never hunted it in the mornings just because the action is so good in the afternoon. One day I will hunt it in the morning.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”