All this talk of hunting mature bucks...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: All this talk of hunting mature bucks...

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:03 am

dan wrote:The biggest reason I want to hunt mature bucks is because gennerally they are the biggest racked, and often the biggest bodied deer in the woods. Why would anyone choose not to go after the biggest and best?

Well the little ones do taste pretty good ;) :lol:

I hear ya, I began my quest yesterday scouting the marshes for these elusive mature bucks. I had some spots in SE WI that were decent spots 3-4yrs ago, that was last I hunted them. I hunted 2 of them yesterday and I see a huge decrease in the amount of deer sign. One spot still showed no or little hunter sign, but still there are a lot more great spots to hide a deer than there are deer. Thank you CWD slaughter :roll:

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: All this talk of hunting mature bucks...

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:46 am

Lots of good stuff here. I let what I believe was a 4.5 year old go this year, because he only had one side. I guess my point is, if I were after an older buck, I would have shot him because he was 4.5. Plain and simple, If the antlers impress me I will shoot, if the opportunity presents itself. I also have different standards for different properties. The land I hunt in the eastern part of the state, just doesn't produce the big bucks, like the land I hunt in the western part of the state does.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”