End of the season what do you hope to have accomplished?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Re: End of the season what do you hope to have accomplished?

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:59 am

Stanley wrote:As the deer season winds down what were your goals? Ultimately, did you set out to kill a big buck? Was your goal merely to have fun? Maybe taking someone hunting and putting them on a buck? A 170 inch buck on the wall? Hunting Beast style and killing one? Lets hear what you set out to do and what you actually did.

I haven't put nothing on the ground yet! No time with work, girlfriend, class, and everything else that keeps me from hunting. Next week I got all week to hunt, so I got time. If anything, I just want to tag a doe...and a nice buck if he walks by. Hunt to the last minute!!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:31 pm

Lot of great answers.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:38 pm

My main goal was to get my son a deer this year. We had 3 sits together and saw 15 deer and two close calls. Still have a little over a month left and he still wants to go so hopefully he can seal the deal this season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:54 pm

My goals for hunting was to get a bow kill on tape, which I did, I just didn't recover the deer which sucked. I also wanted to kill a personal best with a bow, which I did, I beat my previous best by about 25" or so. To me that is huge, I killed the buck on purpose, it was during the rut, but I set up in that spot for a reason and though he didn't come from the exact spot I expected, it wasn't far off and he did what I was hoping he would do.

With a gun I wanted a respectable buck, I took a 16" wide 8 point that I am very happy with. I am still in the stage where a decent buck is something that jumps out right away as a buck most hunters would want, and around here a lot of guys would wack the deer I shot so I feel I have met these goals.

I also wanted at least one doe, I shot one with a bow that I didn't recover which I am mad at still, but from a management standard I am reasonably sure she died so that would count as a doe removed from the herd. I still wished I would have found her, it still makes me sick to this day. I also shot a very nice sized doe with a rifle, so that took care of the doe issue. I also have a buck tag for next year in case we have earn a buck.

For antelope I messed up, I wanted a 14" buck and mine fell way short, which is my usual case, I just cant tell the difference between a 12" buck and a 14" buck at any distance over 100 yards. While I shot a pretty buck which was above average for the area I hunt, I did see a few other bucks after I shot mine that in a perfect world, I would have preferred. I also took a doe antelope that had a pretty carmel cape, I am going to mount her and have her on a habitat scene with last years buck.

I am 100% satisfied with my season, I wished the antelope buck would have been bigger but we had fun and a lot of laughs so it was made up for in the experience. I also wish I would have got the doe I lost, and I would have liked to have got all the kills on tape, but I had a camera go down on the antelope hunt and gave up on that. All in all it was the best hunting season I ever had.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:02 pm

My hunting season had ups and downs. It started out bad but finished great! I killed my biggest buck by tracking which makes this year a huge success. I hunted the U P for the first time and had a great hunt. I didn't tag one but was successful tracking there twice. One I let go, the other I missed. I had the best season for tracking snow which was great. I learned a lot this season but I feel there is so much yet to learn. My bow season didn't go as planned but I'm still at it. As usual, I can't wait til next year! I'm hoping that Edcyclopedia and I will do a hunt together next year!
And best of all I'll be getting together with a bunch of guys from this site to do some ice fishing this winter. :dance:
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:45 pm

There were tons of highs in my season, yet all I can focus on are the negatives. I had the opportunity to join a deer culling program where we are paid to shoot does and I really screwed up on that. On my first sit I had a doe come up directly under me then walked straight away from me keeping a broken off oak tree between us the whole way. By the time she hit a shooting window I was shaking so bad I didn't settle the pin and put an arrow in her guts. Then close to the end of the season I sat on the same property and had a doe and fawn come in. It was a steep angle but I shot the fawn right down into the boiler room. I saw her alive the next day with a slight limp. It was a lung hit but apparently only one. These properties are all tiny woodlots so no room to run a deer til it expires. I spent the next 3 days there neglecting studying for exams just hunting/searching for this fawn. I might add that both bad hits occurred on an evening hunt and I woke to rain both of the following days. The second doe it rained on and off, more on than off, for 3 days. I feel that I gave it my all trying to recover this deer and I am still puzzled at how it survived. Makes me sick every time I think about this season. Enough of being a downer I guess, I just feel crappy.

I started running cams in July and picked up a good buck in northern WI. I had an encounter with him last yr during the rut as well. This year during the rut conditions in weather were identical to last year when I saw him so I picked up midday and moved to this area. Sure enough I saw him, then I saw him again during gun season when I set up in the darkness on opening morning in a spot I thought he would likely head too. To me this is a success because I was after a particular deer and managed to have 2 encounters with him. No kill though.

I got caught up in the age thing and set my goal for a "2.5 yr old or better buck" this year no matter where I was hunting. Where I do most my hunting a 2.5yr old has a rack inside the ears with 6-8points on it. A lot like a 1.5yr old in areas of high nutrition but the racks tend to have a little more mass when they are 2.5 by us. That was my goal. I passed on a deer that fit this description broad side at 18yards. I felt good about that.

My other goal was to video tape a successful hunt. I captured the hunt of my girlfriend killing her first deer. That was successful to me.

I hunted more public land than ever before and saw deer of some sort or the other on almost every sit. A few of these were blind sets which means I am getting better and reading sign and setting up in the right spots.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:49 am

My main goal was to help my 8yr old son get his first deer. He shot a young doe early in Oct with his crossbow and then an 8point in Nov, so my year was a lot of fun. Although I laid eyes on but didnt kill my target buck Id been hunting for two years ,I shot a nice 8 out of a ground blind using decoys. A first using either one for me. Im hoping the big one makes it through to next year, trying to get a pic right now. Also working to get permission on some ground with a little more timber.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:04 am

I hear you Magic - me too! I'll do the leg work this year and you can show me where I went wrong :D

My season started with great expectations after my offseason scouting proved to be very positive.
Didn't connect on a buck but saw a decent amount of deer within range - all got the pass.
Until the last day 20-minutes of firearm season - Meat for the table...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:36 am

I am still pretty new to hunting so my goal for the year started the same as last year: get a deer. Mission accomplished.

To top it off it was my first deer with a recurve. That still makes me get goosebumps thinking about it! :D

Now I am trying to fill the freezer. I have been seeing a lot of deer per sit but haven't been able to close the deal a second time. Still a lot more season left!

Just got my heater body suit too so these morning sits shouldn't be so cold anymore
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:32 am

My goal was to kill one deer with my recurve due to my limited hunting time. I killed a doe with my recurve and a buck with my compound. Goal accomplished. My goals will change next year as my hunting time will quadruple as compared to this season.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:31 am

I didn't get to hunt much this Fall, but I accomplished my goal and moved back to Iowa! :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:15 am

Still working on it. I have pics of a nice buck. The last of which was Dec. 20th, so he made it throught the gun season. :P . However the pic was at 3:00 in the morning. I'm pretty confident he is bedding on the neighbors property. I just don't think he makes it to my side of the fence till well after dark. I would be happy just putting a doe in the freezer at this point. Passed a small 6 friday night, was hoping he was a doe.
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:51 pm

For me it is not what I accomplished but I learned as I just wrapped up my season tonight and eating all my tags. I learned that ladder stands suck and mobility is key. Burning out a 60 acre private makes for a bad season. Scouting has to be on list for next year. Will try again to kill my first buck with a bow. I did put the leg work and sweat into the 60 acres I just burned so next I have to either save it for me or take my son who will six. I can say I did accomplish taking my son who is 5 now out hunting and getting him excited about now hunting to the point that he want to retire his little Fred bear recurve and get a compound like daddy. All in all an exciting season just had to swallow my tags!!!

Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Z7WIBoy wrote:For me it is not what I accomplished but I learned as I just wrapped up my season tonight and eating all my tags. I learned that ladder stands suck and mobility is key. Burning out a 60 acre private makes for a bad season. Scouting has to be on list for next year. Will try again to kill my first buck with a bow. I did put the leg work and sweat into the 60 acres I just burned so next I have to either save it for me or take my son who will six. I can say I did accomplish taking my son who is 5 now out hunting and getting him excited about now hunting to the point that he want to retire his little Fred bear re curve and get a compound like daddy. All in all an exciting season just had to swallow my tags!!!

Ive been there time and again .....good luck scouting ;) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Z7WIBoy wrote:For me it is not what I accomplished but I learned as I just wrapped up my season tonight and eating all my tags. I learned that ladder stands suck and mobility is key. Burning out a 60 acre private makes for a bad season. Scouting has to be on list for next year. Will try again to kill my first buck with a bow. I did put the leg work and sweat into the 60 acres I just burned so next I have to either save it for me or take my son who will six. I can say I did accomplish taking my son who is 5 now out hunting and getting him excited about now hunting to the point that he want to retire his little Fred bear recurve and get a compound like daddy. All in all an exciting season just had to swallow my tags!!!

Too bad.....what state do you hunt?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”