End of the season what do you hope to have accomplished?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

End of the season what do you hope to have accomplished?

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:10 am

As the deer season winds down what were your goals? Ultimately, did you set out to kill a big buck? Was your goal merely to have fun? Maybe taking someone hunting and putting them on a buck? A 170 inch buck on the wall? Hunting Beast style and killing one? Lets hear what you set out to do and what you actually did.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Re: End of the season what do you hope to have accomplished?

Unread postby rudy78 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:24 am

At the beginning of the year, I set out to kill a big buck(140 or better) in IL on video. I knew my chances would be pretty high this year because I hunted the farm last year and learned a lot so I tweaked some stands. My field was also corn this year and I planted some food plots. This was my first year of running trail cams in the summer & stuff, I hoped that I would get a few good bucks on there and be able to kill one of them. I've never had any history with a buck before I have killed him, so this year I was hoping to get some pictures & stuff before I was able to kill him. I didn't think it would go down the way it did and that I would kill the biggest buck I got on trail cam and not just that I had him on trail cam before I killed him, but that I had 3 encounters with him before i killed him.

I also wanted to see my partner, his daughter & a guy I took down there from church to shoot deer with a gun . The only one of those that worked out was my partners daughter killing a doe in the youth season. The other 2 had chances on good bucks, so I guess i don't feel so bad, but I sure was hoping they would have killed.
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:29 am

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]well my goals wernt high as im a young hunter so just getting a crack a big buck was hard enough but i did have a few on my list .....i set a goal to take at least two does and two bucks......well i got my two does but only one good buck wich is more then what i saked for......i did hunt beast style this year got on some good bucks but no luck until gun hunting ......i wanted to hunt marsh this year but had a shortage of bed findings and my abilty to find spots on a map but now that im getting going on it I CANT WAIT UNTIL NEXT SEASON TO HUNT MARSH 8-)

i still plain on finding some sheds this year into next hopefully ........im not to good at that either

[bbvideo=425,350]http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h362/twlonewolf/?action=view&current=M2U00029.mp4[/bbvideo]

Imagethis buck i was hoping for the most..i also got a cople vids of this ten pointer to
[bbvideo=425,350]http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h362/twlonewolf/?action=view&current=M2U00095.mp4[/bbvideo]

Imagei beleive this is the one i shot with the gun

Last edited by BigHunt on Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:10 am

number 1 was stay healthy and for the most part i have been. did get a tick bite though that required er visit. since my land was being logged all i hoped for was pics of the 14pt. on my land all my cams started acting up but still managed to get about 9 pics of him now im waiting for one last pic in late season to continue this story next season :pray: . i wanted pics of the buck i shot in kenosha but that didnt happen for me, however after i shot him, the person that found him let me have pics of him which he had gotten this year. so i got the pics and the buck. i tagged out in vernon despite my land being logged. i managed to get 2 does in gun season on my land so i have meat in the freezer. so this entire season was an accomplishment for me, i cant always say that so im enjoying it. i had my dad hunting with me during gun season like usual and never take that for granted. i wish my son was into it but its just not for him right now and im ok with that too.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:12 am

how bout you stanley? i know you had a great season with 2 nice bucks.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:43 am

Great Idea of a thread Stanley!! 8-)

I set out to kill one of these 2 bucks. The buck In the top picture Is no younger then 5.5 years old I believe. He actually lost some weight from what he weighed last year. Last year he was all of 220lbs dressed, he was huge. This year I believe he's In that 190lb range. He only put on about 8 Inches this year. Last year his sheds measured out at 107 Inches Including a 15 Inch spread. I figure this year he's lucky to hit 115 Inches. He did put on a ton of mass though. That's about all he did. I had him at 15 yards this year and he dropped right after I released my arrow. He didn't drop because of bow noise but rather because he would never sit still hardly long enough. I drew my recurve back 4 different times on him as he'd never stay In one spot. Always spinning an turning keeping a close eye on his ladies. There was 3 doe's around me and one went to move so he too was going to move. When he went to move he ducked down a tad and I hit him right on top of the spine. You can see where I hit him In the picture. This picture was 5 days after I hit him. I saw him 3 times the next 2 weeks but haven't saw him for over 3 weeks now. I'm thinking someone shot him with a Muzzle Loader or maybe he's chasing doe's somewhere else In another woods. Who knows. The taller tined buck I saw 7 times this year. He's a confirmed 4.5 year old going off of trail cam pics I have of him the last 3 years. I had him directly under my tree October 28th but couldn't move In my tree as I had 4 doe's around looking for me In the tree. That was a heart breaker as I did everything right to kill this buck.

My Intention's/hopes were that this buck pictured below would show his face this year. He never did and honestly I didn't expect him to as I knew he wasn't from around here. Last year he showed up during the rut and that was It. He's gotta be a dandy this year!

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:13 am

hey bighunt im not to good at shed hunting either but you keep at it long enough and youll find some
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:25 am

tim wrote:hey bighunt im not to good at shed hunting either but you keep at it long enough and youll find some

thanks man ...... 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:57 am

I set out to kill either a 3.5 on private land or a 2.5 on public land with my bow. I ended up killing a 2.5 on private land. Although I had a fantastic season, I'm going to stay truer to my goal next year
When better is possible, good is never good enough
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:05 am

My goal is to kill a 120's+ inch buck on public land and take down an extra doe for table fair. The doe has been taken care of, still working on the buck. I saw some nice bucks this year that were short of my goal. Several other encounters had potential but I was never able to positivly id a shooter buck. As usually hunted hard and had lots of fun. Still going to give it my all over the weekend.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:06 am

Learned alot and had fun.

Plan to repeat the same thing next season.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:09 am

I came away from this season feeling totally satisfied and refreshed. Now I can concentrate on work again. (for a little while) I had a blast.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:15 am

Stanley you are bringing some great topics.

I wanted to accomplish putting 4-5 deer in the freezer and have some fun. Had a ton of fun, but only filled 2 tags so far, but I am not done. I missed 3 so I had my opportunities.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:31 am

I set out to do the same things I set out to do, last year.

1. Don't go hunting, until the temps cool off. We opened on 9/10. I hunted the 1st time on 10/14 (I think).

2. Hunt with any weapon I want to....when I want to.

3. ONLY hunt when I really WANT to go (not when I think I 'should' go).

4. No internally-applied pressure.

I hunted with the recurve; compound; ML and rifle. I took 5 with the compound....including the biggest buck I've ever taken. I'm hunting with the ML (if I don't hunt off the ground with the bow), tomorrow.

I had as much fun this year as last year......and they both trump any season before them.

Mission accomplished.
Lateral Bowhunter
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:20 am

My goal for the season was to limit myself to a buck scoring 130" or better but in the back of my mind I really wanted to kill a Booner I have been trying to figure out since this time last year. In hindsight I may have focused too much of my season on this particular buck. I had a 135"-140" at 15 yards and let down because I didn't like the shot angle but really in the back of my mind I wanted the larger buck anyway. Ended up not seeing him on stand so far but there is still a few weeks to go. :wink:

Seems like the number of larger bucks are way down in my area so I may have to consider lowering my standards slightly next year. Zap said it best if I had fun and learned alot I consider it a succesful season wether I killed a buck or not.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”