Think its Possible???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Think its Possible???

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:55 am

I know it can be done. How many years in a row remains to be seen. These are bucks I believe to be 4.5 or older . I'm no expert on aging, but I do recognize all the age classes in the areas I hunt. In other words I see 1.5's, 2.5's,3.5's ect.

NEBRASKA 2011

IOWA 2010

OHIO 2009

SOUTH DAKOTA 2008

MASSACHUSETTS 2007

I can add some in, and make the list longer, but this is enough.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:59 am

Spy you are doing it :clap: :dance: But the original post said in a week in new spots... at least that feat would be very difficult. Given a month in a spot from late Oct-Mid Nov... maybe a great hunter could do it consistently ;)

Private ground in rural Iowa doesn't count :lol:

Now I need to buy a damn boat! :lol:
Last edited by Bucky on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:01 am

Great bucks spy! :clap:
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:14 am

You prob need more time, if you are rut hunting and on public out of state and you have never been there it takes a week to figure out where everyone else is hunting where the deer are and how to kill them.

Thats been my experince. A week you would have to be very lucky. I save 3 weeks of vaction to go rut hunt.
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:23 pm

I really don't know if its possible myself... But I'd like to think it is...

Going out of state I certainly would not pass up 3 1/2 year old bucks for the first couple trips... However like Dan said a buck becomes a completely different animal once he becomes 4 yrs old or older. He becomes a master at the game of survival, and this is the biggest reason I hunt for mature animals... It's taking on the master at his own game...

So ultimately I want to get to the point where I can consistently kill these animals... On top of that I want to strive for bein able to do it while going into an area knowing nothing more than that there is a good chance there is mature animals in it through research. And where these animals are most likely living from studying maps of the area...

I would do this around the time of rut to help with deer movement in general but I would not use rut tactics to get on him because I've learned very well over the last few years that you can not consistently kill a mature animal by sitting funnels and other typical rut tactics... I would have to find where he sleeps, or very close to it...

Can it be done???

And Dan, just out of curiosity what do you think Andrea would say???

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:34 pm

I can't be positive, but I think he would say no given the "5 or 6 day limit" on unscouted land... I have seen andrae go after bucks in new areas. It generally takes him the better part of a season to get one in the 4 y/o AGE CLASS or older.
Remember though, Andrae will be pretty quick to tell you most of his booners are only 3 1/2...
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:04 pm

dan wrote:

I can't be positive, but I think he would say no given the "5 or 6 day limit" on unscouted land... I have seen andrae go after bucks in new areas. It generally takes him the better part of a season to get one in the 4 y/o AGE CLASS or older.
Remember though, Andrae will be pretty quick to tell you most of his booners are only 3 1/2...

Yea I'm not at all saying there is anything wrong with taking 3 1/2 yr old bucks and I know there are some brute 3 1/2s takin every year... I have also happily taken several 3 1/2s and would not yet pass up a brute 3 1/2 on an out of state hunt...

But for me its just like I said the biggest reason I hunt is to take the master at his own game and I know a buck hasn't become a master till he's 4 yrs old or older... If its a booner that's just a bonus but not my main priority in targeting an animal...

I'll be the first to admit that I know I'm far from this point and I have a lot to learn before I become someone that I consider really knows what there doing... But I strive to become better and learn more every time I'm in the woods and being able to accomplish what I describe is my goal... I'm just wondering if you guys think its realistic or am I just a dreamer lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:40 pm

dan wrote:I really don't think most hunters understand the huge differance one year in age makes to a buck. 3 1/3 year olds can have huge racks, but they still participate in daylight rut activitys, and still make a lot of mistakes feeding in daylight. I don't see many 4 year olds make those mistakes. Yes, they do, but its a lot rarer than with 3 year olds. In order to "consistantly kill 3 year olds you can depend on the rut, funnels, doe bedding areas, etc... In order to "consistantly" kill 4 year olds or better you have to find there bedrooms... Hard to do on road trips.

Here is my burning question...how do you make this happen? If u scout u burn the bridge (unless) its raining...can u fill me in on some hints. I've gone 2 Kansas twice &indina once. I've killed a 115 seen several nice 2 yr olds but only one 3 or 4 yr old. This is in 25 days of mostly hunting (approx 5 days scouting) in early to late november

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:30 pm

I would guess chances doing this on public would
Be impossible.

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Bump