How good are you at judging score in the field.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: How good are you at judging score in the field.

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:52 am

I did the game and had an average of 8" margin of error for 40 deer. It was a lot harder. Some I'd put in 100 and it'd be like 130", and I would think, "HOW?" :snooty:

I would say that I tend to overestimate, but not always. Usually the first thing that goes through my head is, "shooter or not". If it is, I shoot without much other thought. The one in the avatar I didn't even know if he was an 8 or a 10 when I shot, just that he was a shooter. Yet when they're not shooters, I don't tend to score them either. I just watch, try to film, etc. When someone else asks how big it was, I think back and tend to overestimate based on when I actually look at the film.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:59 am

You know, sometimes I hit it within a few inches on a few deer, but then as soon as you think your good at it I get one way off... I think judgeing mass is the hardest for me.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:11 pm

muddy wrote:I am usually good at field judging, but this past year I really misjudged my buck. It happens.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I think wide bucks are some real foolers. Narrow bucks I can tend to underestimate.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:31 pm

I am not that good, but i haven't really attempted to do much fleld judging in "total inches" until the last few years...... I really have never shot a buck based on what he scored, I usually try to shoot a buck around the same size or bigger than what i have on my wall already ( judging by width and tine length but not thinking in terms of total inches). If i am on a multiple year skid, than i will usually whack one a little smaller.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm

I really don't try to score them. I'm not real hung up on score. I'm more into if it's a mature deer which for me is pretty easy to tell. If he's 4 or more I'm most likely shooting.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:55 pm

I seem to be really good at the typical racks, and not so much from certain angles and non-typicals. My margin on the game was 10"...some I was within 2" and some I was off by almost 30"! I seemed to really underestimate some of the giants and over estimate the dinks.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Stanley wrote:
muddy wrote:I am usually good at field judging, but this past year I really misjudged my buck. It happens.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I think wide bucks are some real foolers. Narrow bucks I can tend to underestimate.

I agree. When I first saw my buck he had his head tipped back on a licking branch, he looked huge. He then went into timber destruction mode and all I did was focus on his vitals, didn't realize he was what I'd normally pass until I walked up to him in my little video... pretty psyched I didn't swear out loud to be honest.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”