How dedicated are you as hunter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

How dedicated are you as hunter?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:39 pm

You are hunting late season the deer are yarded up 2 miles away next to a good food source. You can't hunt that property and your chances of seeing a buck are none to worse. Do you hunt anyway just hoping for a miracle?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Re: How dedicated are you as hunter?

Unread postby Zap » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Find another spot......
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:45 pm

I would still be hunting, maybe not there, but somewhere. A season can go from unsuccessful to successful in 30 seconds, but not if you arean't there when those 30 seconds come along!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:46 pm

i would move on ive got lots of good public to hunt around here
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Zap wrote:Find another spot......

X2 get as close as you can, bait like crazy :shock: or find another spot with deer yarded up and get close as you can. Friday I saw deer yarded up to the south on a farm and then saw more deer herded up in a clear cut to the north of land I can hunt. I thought I wasn't going to see anything but noticed some guys setting traps on the farm to the south as I drove by on Saturday. Snuck into my spot and wouldn't you know it their activity changed the pattern of some of the deer. I had a handful of does pass exactly along the property line headed for the clearcut to the north to feed there. Anything can happen in the deer woods any time of year, but you will never see any of it if you aren't out there trying.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Stanley wrote:You are hunting late season the deer are yarded up 2 miles away next to a good food source. You can't hunt that property and your chances of seeing a buck are none to worse. Do you hunt anyway just hoping for a miracle?

Sounds like any part of the season where I hunt :lol: .....yeah I head out. Still am.

Call me nuts, but this is the area I prefer to hunt......I hate it and love it at the same time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:51 pm

It totally depends on whether I filled my tag or not. And whether there are big bucks to be had.

No tags filled, I'll be out hoping for the best. Accepting defeat and killing nothing is a total failure if you don't try till the end.

If I already killed but there is still a nice buck around, I might be going.

If I already killed but there is little possibility of a nice buck, my motivation would go down.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:00 pm

I would move to a different spot that gives me a better chance at a good buck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:08 pm

I keep hunting until the bitter end or until I get a decent buck down. My wife and family are very accommodating to my addiction but once I get some bone on the ground and after the rut is over I lay off. I'll bowhunt a few more times in Wisconsin this year and that will be it. Then it's coyote time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Spysar wrote:It totally depends on whether I filled my tag or not. And whether there are big bucks to be had.

No tags filled, I'll be out hoping for the best. Accepting defeat and killing nothing is a total failure if you don't try till the end.

If I already killed but there is still a nice buck around, I might be going.

If I already killed but there is little possibility of a nice buck, my motivation would go down.

Pretty much the same story as me.
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Move until I find something. I stopped believing in miracles years ago.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:38 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Move until I find something. I stopped believing in miracles years ago.

This one, keep on looking until I find an area I can hunt that holds a nice buck.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:47 pm

You guys make moving sound easy. In the small wood lots around here you just don't move it ain't that easy. There is a hunter in every small woodlot. If you are not established you are not just going to move and hunt. In theory it sounds good but in reality your stuck where you are at, or travel for some distance to hunt public. Gasoline is down to $3.20 a gallon here but a 100 mile round trip daily, well you do the math.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Stanley wrote:You guys make moving sound easy. In the small wood lots around here you just don't move it ain't that easy. There is a hunter in every small woodlot. If you are not established you are not just going to move and hunt. In theory it sounds good but in reality your stuck where you are at, or travel for some distance to hunt public. Gasoline is down to $3.20 a gallon here but a 100 mile round trip daily, well you do the math.

I drove 2 hours to meet up with Hodag then we traveled another 2 hours to push 2 buck beds! I don't know if that makes me dedicated or crazy? :think:
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:22 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
Stanley wrote:You guys make moving sound easy. In the small wood lots around here you just don't move it ain't that easy. There is a hunter in every small woodlot. If you are not established you are not just going to move and hunt. In theory it sounds good but in reality your stuck where you are at, or travel for some distance to hunt public. Gasoline is down to $3.20 a gallon here but a 100 mile round trip daily, well you do the math.

I drove 2 hours to meet up with Hodag then we traveled another 2 hours to push 2 buck beds! I don't know if that makes me dedicated or crazy? :think:

Did you guys get them? if you did, dedicated, if not, well still dedicated!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”