How dedicated are you as hunter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: How dedicated are you as hunter?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:50 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
Stanley wrote:You guys make moving sound easy. In the small wood lots around here you just don't move it ain't that easy. There is a hunter in every small woodlot. If you are not established you are not just going to move and hunt. In theory it sounds good but in reality your stuck where you are at, or travel for some distance to hunt public. Gasoline is down to $3.20 a gallon here but a 100 mile round trip daily, well you do the math.

I drove 2 hours to meet up with Hodag then we traveled another 2 hours to push 2 buck beds! I don't know if that makes me dedicated or crazy? :think:

I'll get back to you on that one. ;) Two of the spots I hunt are 4 hrs 230 miles from home. I have hunted these spots for one day and then back home at night. I can't do that on a daily basis though. Financially would kill me. 8 hrs on the road and hunt too, that will also kill you. I also spend a couple days away and that is also a family hardship. I try and hunt close to home as much as possible.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Stanley wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
Stanley wrote:You guys make moving sound easy. In the small wood lots around here you just don't move it ain't that easy. There is a hunter in every small woodlot. If you are not established you are not just going to move and hunt. In theory it sounds good but in reality your stuck where you are at, or travel for some distance to hunt public. Gasoline is down to $3.20 a gallon here but a 100 mile round trip daily, well you do the math.

I drove 2 hours to meet up with Hodag then we traveled another 2 hours to push 2 buck beds! I don't know if that makes me dedicated or crazy? :think:

I'll get back to you on that one. ;) Two of the spots I hunt are 4 hrs 230 miles from home. I have hunted these spots for one day and then back home at night. I can't do that on a daily basis though. Financially would kill me. 8 hrs on the road and hunt too, that will also kill you. I also spend a couple days away and that is also a family hardship. I try and hunt close to home as much as possible.

I know what your saying. my best hunting is 3 1/2 hours away. Getting back to your question and maybe being a bit more realistic I'd have a hard time hunting a spot that I didn't think held any deer at this time. I'd rather spend family time and bank hunting time for better situations. Maybe you could take some time and knock on a few doors. I've had my best luck doing this late season. Many hunters are done for the year and will allow late season hunting. I'm not sure how things are in your area though. If nothing else maybe you could offer to hunt coyotes. lots of farmers are for that and they get to know you and that just might get your foot in the door for the future!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Honestly.......I would fill the truck up with gas and make the drive. I already drive 80 miles/day roundtrip to work everyday so driving would not be a big deal to me. When it comes to hunting I don't worry about miles driven or gas used but that's just me and every individual has different priorities. I like to always make sure that I am hunting where I have my best chance at a decent buck. If I don't believe that I have a hard time hunting there and will move on to better spots.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:23 am

Stanley

Don't confuse dedication, with reality. I understand your situation. And for me to drive some heavy miles for late season bow action on public, where its a maybe at best. I would not be going. And this has nothing to do with dedication. Be smart, look at other ways to improve your hunting for next year. Pinpoint possible areas to gain permission. It bothers me when peopls say all the land is locked up. Well that maybe the case in some instances, but many times guys are afraid to ask and just assume I can't hunt that. I have been rejected more times than I can count. Everyone or most were polite and we talked some. I have also gained some grounds. I shot both my deer this year on new private hunting grounds, 10 minutes from my house. I would not be sitting a stand if you already know that the area is dried up. Does not make sense. On the other hand if its a nice afternoon and you want to get some fresh air nothing wrong with that.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:59 am

After watching what people on here do I have started to find some little gems hidden inside a sewer. One place, is litterally next to a poop plant... HAHA. But... no one else is hunting there and its public land.

I really think I am going to surprise some people around here in the near future. Places that are right under peoples noses are holding some big bucks. Thing is, no one thinks to look there. Im not gonna just say hey buddy, come on lets go tag team this buck and see if we can pressure it into hiding.

Ive had so many friends, true friends, burn my bridges just cause they get so excited they cant keep their mouth shut or they themselves cant stay out that I have gotten to the point where I will share NOTHING.

To answer your question. If I knew for a fact that my chances of seeing what I was after were slim to none, I would save my free time towards something more productive be it scouting for next year, fishing... whatever. I like to enjoy the woods, but I also have a purpose. I really believe in shooting yourself in your own foot too. Did it many times pounding areas day after day.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:29 am

Where I am hunting the deer definatly move in late season, but unlike you (Stanley) I have plenty of room to move around on public, lots of guys, but plenty of room. So Idon't think I would really be hunting as much as I would be scouting till I found somthing.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:01 am

Everything hinges on whether I have a buck tag or not.

If I don't....it's hard for me to go above and beyond. If I do, no holds barred.
Lateral Bowhunter
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Very dedicated and patient. I have to be.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”