Whatcha gonna do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Whatcha gonna do?

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Ok, here's the scenario:

The property you own is mostly ag ground, but has a few brushy areas/creek bottoms that hold deer occasionally, but no big timber. Bucks love to hang out in bachelor groups all summer, but then tend to head to the river bottom across the road to collect a harem of does.

The property is still a year round food source, so the deer come back across the road every evening to feed on waste grain in the ag fields.

There is a 20 acre section of nastiness across the road, separates the river bottom from the ag fields. It is owned by Lurch. It is thick, sunlight doesn't hit the ground, pines, oaks, walnuts, multiflora rose. The deer are comfortable bedding in it and it is also a staging area for those deer that are making their way from the river bottom to the ag fields. They stack up in there as the sun sets.

Neighborhood rumor: Lurch gave permission to a guy to hunt it this fall. The guy was happy as a pig in slop, shot one deer with the bow, poached another with his bow, then started bringing clients from his work out and shot three more. Neighbor (owns the river bottom on the other side) who was telling me this was major pissed. Me; having a guy pounding that property really shut down movement across the north end of my property.

So the river bottom owner wants to lease the property to shut it down. I burned bridges with Lurch years ago, so don't care to call him. My thoughts are to shoot every deer I see. If Lurch's people don't see any deer, they will not hunt it. I got other ground to hunt that is better. Plus, my farm is an income source, shooting deer is putting $ in my pocket. I bet I can still catch a few rutting bucks coming across the place.

Last weekend I noticed a ground blind too close (by law) to my house. I almost called the law but thought maybe it was a handicapped or youth hunter. From what I saw, I think Lurch had his kid out there. I could call and ask how their hunt went, imagine it sucked, then tell him it was because he let an asshat hunt.

So what would you do? Would you call Lurch and try to lease? Tell him (again) what a jerk he is? Take my approach and rape the deer herd to levels that make it boring to hunt? Hire GaryK to drop a few daisycuttters on the property to make it less attractive to the deer?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Whatcha gonna do?

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:15 pm

I wouldn't worry about what the neighbors do if you can't control it... I would not kill deer just to spite the neighbor, and I would give the hunter credit till I seen proof he was poaching. I know where ever I go rumors start about me, and I don't like it... I try to treat others as I myself would like to be treated.

If I was you, I would be more worried about how I could enhance the small areas of brush on your property to make them better to hold more deer on your side...
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:22 pm

dan wrote: If I was you, I would be more worried about how I could enhance the small areas of brush on your property to make them better to hold more deer on your side...

I'm planting oak and apple trees along with establishing switch grass areas. ;)
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:35 pm

I'd burn Lurch's house to the ground and bulldoze his 20.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Dor wrote:I'd burn Lurch's house to the ground and bulldoze his 20.

:clap:

Plan B. ;)
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:54 pm

I'd spread bait all over my land and shoot every deer that set a hoof on my side of the property line.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:55 pm

Dor wrote:I'd burn Lurch's house to the ground and bulldoze his 20.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

:lol: Good stuff!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:38 pm

I would go to the local barbershop and get a few garbage bags full of human hair............or just go straight to plan B :lol:
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:43 pm

Improving your property to make the deer live on yours is a great idea.... pick the best time to hunt your land and let those #*$#'s push the deer your way! All else fails, plan B!
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Do the best you can under the circumstances.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:49 pm

I'd reroute the river thru my property. 8-)
This situation is one of the reasons why I love public land hunting.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:35 am

I wouldn't worry about what the neighbors do if you can't control it... I would not kill deer just to spite the neighbor, and I would give the hunter credit till I seen proof he was poaching. I know where ever I go rumors start about me, and I don't like it... I try to treat others as I myself would like to be treated.

Lesson I've learned over time.

So Dan.....people start rumors about you?....lol. You know what causes that....don't you?

Of course you do. And, congrats on your success(es).
Lateral Bowhunter
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:10 am

Id build a mothball cannon and machine gun down his woods.

Actually, I would just write that off as out of my control. If I was really worried about killing deer on my property Id back the pressure on it way off. If I owned the farm and wanted all the deer dead, Id open it to the public for a few years then post it. LOL
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:31 am

Dude....His name is really Lurch???

You admitted burning bridges with him. AND what you are saying is based in rumor.

Your best plan is shoot every deer you see? C'mon man! That's rediculous...

If laws are being broken, and deer are being poached, call the game warden. But don't make a fool of yourself unless you know its true.

If you really wanted to correct the situation, you have to man up and talk to "Lurch".

Sounds like you have a case of sour grapes, and I'd like to hear Lurches side of the story....just giving you an honest reply.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:35 am

Dude....His name is really Lurch???

Thats a lot better than what my neighbors call me... :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”