Doe season disaster

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

venisonassassin
500 Club

Doe season disaster

Unread postby venisonassassin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Went out with a couple friends last Saturday in a public marsh working through some bedding areas trying to roust up a couple does since neither one of them had shot a deer yet. We had pushed through the bedding areas that I know of and weren't having any luck, lots of beds but no deer. After all that we decided to just spread out and work our way through some cattails and tall grass back to the truck. So we regroup, spread out and start walking this tall grass, all of a sudden my buddy calls me over to " check this out". I go over there and he found a blood trail. At first I thought no big deal, but then just for kicks I start following said blood trail in one direction. Ten yards later I said " there it is! " , there was a dead deer. Thinking maybe it was a doe someone had shot and never recovered. I walk up to this thing and here it's a big buck! Couldn't believe it, upon further inspection it had just been shot very recently because it was warm and the body was limp and it was darn cold out that day.

We're standing around this thing wondering what we should do with it. If we tamper with it then we look like poachers. If we let it there and leave then whoever shot it will be back to take it illegally. We decided we would rather see the dnr seize it than let the poachers have it so we called the dnr and they sent a warden out. We showed him where it was and he figured whoever shot it would be back for the rack so he was gonna do a stake out. I hope they nailed those suckers.

It ticks me off, we work our tails off to try and kill big bucks like this legally and guys go and shoot them out of season. Damn shame. BTW it was like a 17 or 18" wide 10 pointer, about 130" 4 1/2 year old buck by my best estimate.

Dewey

Re: Doe season disaster

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Probably was going to let it lay till Monday and tag with his bow tag!!

I could see making a mistake if it's a very small buck like a 3" spike......but a 130" 10 pt :shock: That's poaching if I ever saw it. Hope they catch the idiot!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:10 pm

maybe they shot it with a new kind of arrow, lol. I hate poachers such hope they nail them!!

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:22 pm

rudy78 wrote:maybe they shot it with a new kind of arrow, lol. I hate poachers such hope they nail them!!

After we showed the warden he rolled the deer over and there was 3" by 3" hole in the lungs, the shot was perfect. That was the only hole we found and the warden thought it looked odd. Also, I back tracked the blood trail before the warden got there and found a good sized chunk of lung. And yes, I doubt it was mistaken for a doe.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:27 pm

rudy78 wrote:maybe they shot it with a new kind of arrow, lol. I hate poachers such hope they nail them!!

ha ya the heat seeking buck arrow
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 am

Exact reason why the doe only season shouldn't exist. I'm sure several bucks lay and rot out their.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:56 am

Wow... Did you take a pic with your phone cam or anything? What about the warden, did he call you and tell you what happened? I would have thought that perhaps he would have let you have the deer after that initial night of staking out. Damn, see, that's why it would be awesome to be a warden... I'd think it would be pretty sweet to stakeout something like that. Dude would never see it coming.. He'd walk up to the buck in the dark and all of a sudden, "DON'T MOVE!". Hearing things like this is sickening, especially when the rest of us who mind the laws pass big ones up to be legal, all the while some dumb@ss shoots the big one we let go to abide the law. Some people could care less when it's on public land - they think, well, it's not my land and I could get away with this so why not..
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:19 pm

Sam Ubl wrote:Wow... Did you take a pic with your phone cam or anything? What about the warden, did he call you and tell you what happened? I would have thought that perhaps he would have let you have the deer after that initial night of staking out. Damn, see, that's why it would be awesome to be a warden... I'd think it would be pretty sweet to stakeout something like that. Dude would never see it coming.. He'd walk up to the buck in the dark and all of a sudden, "DON'T MOVE!". Hearing things like this is sickening, especially when the rest of us who mind the laws pass big ones up to be legal, all the while some dumb@ss shoots the big one we let go to abide the law. Some people could care less when it's on public land - they think, well, it's not my land and I could get away with this so why not..

My buddy's got pics on their phones. I don't have a camera on my phone but can receive pics but they are not great. It was a nice buck man, and it had a beautiful cape, no rips or scars. We hinted at wanting it but never asked directly. I don't think it would have been legal any way you look at it. My one friend just wanted the meat. I imagine the warden reports should be public record, does anyone know? I suppose I could call the guy, I am curious.

Also, there were a couple suspect individuals in the parking lot when we walked back there. Two guys with guns in one hand and cases in the other like they were waiting for a ride. We went and waited in my truck for awhile then they just walked off into the marsh, strange.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:24 pm

adrenalin wrote:Exact reason why the doe only season shouldn't exist. I'm sure several bucks lay and rot out their.

If you shoot one incidentally that is all that would happen is you have to pay the processing fee for the food pantry donation. That is what the warden said.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:26 pm

venisonassassin wrote:
Sam Ubl wrote:Wow... Did you take a pic with your phone cam or anything? What about the warden, did he call you and tell you what happened? I would have thought that perhaps he would have let you have the deer after that initial night of staking out. Damn, see, that's why it would be awesome to be a warden... I'd think it would be pretty sweet to stakeout something like that. Dude would never see it coming.. He'd walk up to the buck in the dark and all of a sudden, "DON'T MOVE!". Hearing things like this is sickening, especially when the rest of us who mind the laws pass big ones up to be legal, all the while some dumb@ss shoots the big one we let go to abide the law. Some people could care less when it's on public land - they think, well, it's not my land and I could get away with this so why not..

Also, there were a couple suspect individuals in the parking lot when we walked back there. Two guys with guns in one hand and cases in the other like they were waiting for a ride. We went and waited in my truck for awhile then they just walked off into the marsh, strange.

Did they have backtags on? Shoulda wrote down the numbers just in case they were the guys.

venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Dewey wrote:
venisonassassin wrote:

Did they have backtags on? Shoulda wrote down the numbers just in case they were the guys.

I didn't want to make any false accusations so I didn't look. They were young, that is one thing i noticed. I was young and dumb once upon a time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:12 am

One of the 1st T-zone doe hunts they had by me a local guy and his kids pull up my driveway and ask if I want to see the kids 1st buck... I know its does only so I thought they were kidding. I went out to the truck and they had a buck in the back of the truck with a tag on it... I said, this is doe season? The kid ( about 12 or 13 years old ) smiled and said, I couldn't just let the biggest buck I ever saw walk past, what was I supposed to do? Then his Dad procedes to tell me that they called the warden and told him they "accidently" shot a buck and he came out a registered the buck and told them they could keep it, didn't issue a fine, but told the boys not to do that again. :roll:
The warden should of seen those boys driving from house to house showing it off...
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:16 am

dan wrote:One of the 1st T-zone doe hunts they had by me a local guy and his kids pull up my driveway and ask if I want to see the kids 1st buck... I know its does only so I thought they were kidding. I went out to the truck and they had a buck in the back of the truck with a tag on it... I said, this is doe season? The kid ( about 12 or 13 years old ) smiled and said, I couldn't just let the biggest buck I ever saw walk past, what was I supposed to do? Then his Dad procedes to tell me that they called the warden and told him they "accidently" shot a buck and he came out a registered the buck and told them they could keep it, didn't issue a fine, but told the boys not to do that again. :roll:
The warden should of seen those boys driving from house to house showing it off...

That is 100% the parents fault. The kid obviously was not raised proper, be it hunting or life in general if that was his response. I would say the kid needed to learn a very hard lesson right there, too bad they didn't get a ticket and lose the deer, this example only fueled the fire to do it again because he knows he got by with it this time. That parent should be ashamed of themself, and the kid should not be in the woods if that is how he conducts himself.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:30 am

dan wrote:One of the 1st T-zone doe hunts they had by me a local guy and his kids pull up my driveway and ask if I want to see the kids 1st buck... I know its does only so I thought they were kidding. I went out to the truck and they had a buck in the back of the truck with a tag on it... I said, this is doe season? The kid ( about 12 or 13 years old ) smiled and said, I couldn't just let the biggest buck I ever saw walk past, what was I supposed to do? Then his Dad procedes to tell me that they called the warden and told him they "accidently" shot a buck and he came out a registered the buck and told them they could keep it, didn't issue a fine, but told the boys not to do that again. :roll:

Yeah, that's just teaching a kid bad ethics. I can't believe they let him keep it.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:50 am

adrenalin wrote:Exact reason why the doe only season shouldn't exist. I'm sure several bucks lay and rot out their.

it shouldn't matter. rules are rules. even if the doe seasons were eliminated, these guys would find other ways to poach. a poacher is a poacher. what a shame on the guy who shot this deer only to leave lay.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”