Buck Bed Buck Dead

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Buck Bed Buck Dead

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Say you have a buck bed scouted out and the particular buck that is bedding in that bed dies. Do other bucks take the place of that one? And how long does it take for a new buck to start using it?

BigHunt

Re: Buck Bed Buck Dead

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:08 pm

im not an expert but i beleive that other bucks take over good beding areas once bucks are shot or die or just move on
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Different bucks use the primary beds all the time, even when your target buck is alive. I have seen different bucks use the same bed two different days in a row.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Interesting to here that multiple bucks will bed in the same bed while the target buck is alive.
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:04 am

Good question! I was actually thinking about a related topic this weekend while sitting on a pail catching bluegills. SO after scouting a piece of property very thoroughly and finding all the doe and buck beds/ bedding areas wouldnt they(for the most part) stay the same from year to year? I mean to a certain extent? So less scouting would be needed for a couple years after? I have not gotten into full blown scouting yet, like i really want to. But this offseason I plan on it.
[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:48 am

Reflex011 wrote:Good question! I was actually thinking about a related topic this weekend while sitting on a pail catching bluegills. SO after scouting a piece of property very thoroughly and finding all the doe and buck beds/ bedding areas wouldnt they(for the most part) stay the same from year to year? I mean to a certain extent? So less scouting would be needed for a couple years after? I have not gotten into full blown scouting yet, like i really want to. But this offseason I plan on it.

Like Dan stated in his videos, some keep producing and some DRY UP. This drying up of beds took a whole new meaning for me this year. Many times the reason, or one of the reasons a buck is there has to do with Water. Standing water, or a channel often. So as the marsh (swamp) changes so does the bedding. Not all of them, but some definitely do. New ones are created, old ones sometimes flood out or dry up. One of my best hot spots went under water last year. But now this year it, s a dead zone with our really dry fall.
I have zero Hill Country experience so all I can relate to is swamps.
For the most part, I would say most of your spots will be there from year to year. Some don,t seem to always pick-up new bucks once they are abandoned for whatever reason.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:41 am

Food, foliage, weather conditions, etc. sometimes determines the use of a bed also..
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:00 am

Some are seasonal, some are used only when acorns are growing in a specific spot, or corn, etc. Its the major bedding areas, the primary ones that get used year round that net the best results year after year...
I have seen some beds dissapear after a certain buck dies, but the good primary bedding areas will last u ntil they are over hunted.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”