Hunting from a ground blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Hunting from a ground blind

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:33 am

Have any of you guys had any luck hunting deer from a ground blind ? We logged are woods off this past winter, and a pretty heavy logging at that, so I'm thinking of trying some ground blind hunting this year.. Alot of the trees I had hang-on stands in before, now stick out like a sore thumb.. I have never hunted out of a blind before and I guess I am looking for some tips..... I'm thinking just some of the things I should be thinking about are...
1. getting the blind out there early this summer and let the deer get use to it..
2. brush the blind in really good.
3. scent control will be more important now.
4. practice shooting from a chair, and out of the blind.

Anything else ?

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Re: Hunting from a ground blind

Unread postby Casper » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:58 am

You have it covered well, but make sure you have as few windows open in front of you as possible and none open at your back.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:37 am

If you logged, there ought be tops laying everywhere. I wouldn't worry about a blind, those tops will provide all the cover you need. I love those things.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:42 am

well, ya, that's basically what I was thinking of doing, putting the blind right in the middle of a tree top and really brush it in to look part of the tree top.... yes, tops everywhere, our woods was wide open before and the deer obviously would not stay there, they would pass through, but would not bed there..... Now, with all the tops in there I already have jumped deer walking into our woods, I am very excited to see how this pans out the next years to come, it can only be better as the woods floor starts growing with the briars....
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:09 am

Definately brush the blind in...I know turkeys really don't have a problem with the blinds being popped up out in the open, but deer seem less tolerant of it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:23 pm

My advice would be to leave the blind in the garage for turkey season and hunt mobile during deer season useing the natural cover such as the tops as your blind. I personally would not hunt from the same spot more than a few times a season so I would need to pre-set dozens of blinds. And I would rather be able to move quickly, hear and see deer coming etc..
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:53 pm

I dislike sitting in a blind.
Natural blind trimmed with some ratchet pruners is more to my taste.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:23 am

I hunted in one last season twice. First and last :lol: :lol: Not for me but I have hunted in natural blinds and have seen and shot deer. Those tops will be excellent bedding now too! ;) Good Luck but I would use the blind for turkeys and build a quite a few natural blinds in your woods and hunt each one only a couple times!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”