deer poop. buck or doe?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandon
500 Club

deer poop. buck or doe?

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:50 am

how can you tell scat is buck or doe?

Ive always heard when its clumped up its a buck.

Is there any truth to that?

This is in relation to my other thread about the avatar buck. LOTS of clumped up poo.... but is it from momma doe? or did a buck slip out?

You can't kill em on the couch
Dewey

Re: deer poop. buck or doe?

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:06 am

We discussed this awhile back. Check out this thread........ viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3585&hilit=Deer+poop

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:33 am

I read the previous thread I would think it's hard to tell. Skat is skat tell me the difference between a cow pie and a bull pie... Same difference IMO.

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:23 pm

I read a couple articles a few years ago and the clumping and pellets had to do with their diet whether it was browse and acorns pellets and clumps had to do with clovers alfalfa and such or vice versa. But the jest of the authors was diet.

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:36 pm

I bait heavily with corn in some spots where I hunt with my son. Deer get the runs from corn. I agree diet is all that can be told if anything other than a deer was there.

Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:06 pm

While gun hunting this fall I had a doe and two fawns come across the path I take to get to my stand. On my way back to the vehicle I noticed a clump of poop that was still shiny where these deer would have been(60 yards from my stand). It had to be from one of these deer. So I say the myth is busted!! The very next morning I stepped in that clump of crap while walking out to my stand :oops:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Gardner Swamp wrote:While gun hunting this fall I had a doe and two fawns come across the path I take to get to my stand. On my way back to the vehicle I noticed a clump of poop that was still shiny where these deer would have been(60 yards from my stand). It had to be from one of these deer. So I say the myth is busted!! The very next morning I stepped in that clump of crap while walking out to my stand :oops:

:think:

well you know what they say ...it happends :lol: ive been there before to ...cover up scent :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:13 pm

I have watched many deer defecate over the years. I have seen a fawn drop a bomb you would have sworn was a big buck. So I can't really tell the difference.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:35 pm

I go by turd size. 7/8" or bigger and I figure there is a good chance it's a buck. Then I look for large wide tracks to help verify. No way to be sure from turds alone, but if they are over 1" and fat I'm confident they are mature buck turds. Large piles of clumped poo that have large sections squashed together within the clump tend to sway me that way a little too.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:40 am

Easy. Just taste it. Buck poop is salty. Doe poop is sweet.

I bag it and keep it in my pack, two separate bags though. Sometimes your in the mood for salty, sometimes sweet.......
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:54 am

GRFox wrote:Easy. Just taste it. Buck poop is salty. Doe poop is sweet.

I bag it and keep it in my pack, two separate bags though. Sometimes your in the mood for salty, sometimes sweet.......

Reminds me of the old Dan Fitzgerald video when they were scouting and came across deer droppings. He explained on video how he tastes them to decide how old they were and then popped a handfull in his mouth and chewed on them for awhile. :shock: He had me fooled but later laughed and said they were only chocolate covered raisins! :lol:
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:26 am

GRFox wrote:Easy. Just taste it. Buck poop is salty. Doe poop is sweet.

Dude!
They sell something called trail mix and you can get it in sweat and salty with out the green/brown pellets :P

Sounds like we are a bunch of skatologists here :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”