GPS and Scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: GPS and Scouting

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Couldn't live without my lowrance ifinder H2o gps w/lakemaster chip and google earth w/topo

When better is possible, good is never good enough
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:07 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:Couldn't live without my lowrance ifinder H2o gps w/lakemaster chip and google earth w/topo

I used to have one of them and would never go back!

Z7 - In that screen shot that I posted, Im actually pretty zoomed out..thats probably why you see so many lines - and those are 20ft intervals there too..
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:11 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
RaisedByWolves wrote:Couldn't live without my lowrance ifinder H2o gps w/lakemaster chip and google earth w/topo

I used to have one of them and would never go back!

:lol: I'm sure your way above and beyond me with gps and google intelligence cornfed! I have had this gps for 6 years and have hundreds of waypoints saved. Gonna let her go til it can't go no more, than I'm gonna make you help me pick a new one and salvage my waypoints! deal?
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:00 pm

[/quote]How is the Oregon in tree cover?[/quote]

Awesome. I used it last spring scouting in dense stuff.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:14 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote: :lol: I'm sure your way above and beyond me with gps and google intelligence cornfed! I have had this gps for 6 years and have hundreds of waypoints saved. Gonna let her go til it can't go no more, than I'm gonna make you help me pick a new one and salvage my waypoints! deal?

Haha I shall do my best my friend! I liked my lowrance when I had it, but the signal wasnt quite as strong as I wouldve liked, and when Cabelas had a huge sale on the 450T models, I jumped at it after luckily selling my Lowrance quickly to a fisherman (which IMO, they work AWESOME for). After using my Garmin for awhile though, I dont think I could go back. I love having topos and aerial photos on my screen. I guess my biggest complaint about the lowrance was the weak signal I experienced in the woods..

As far as salvaging your waypoints, can you get the waypoints off your GPS onto the computer?
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:20 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
As far as salvaging your waypoints, can you get the waypoints off your GPS onto the computer?

I will have to see if I can transfer my waypoints onto an sd card from the gps's hard drive, and then try to transfer the sd card to the computer....
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:30 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:

I will have to see if I can transfer my waypoints onto an sd card from the gps's hard drive, and then try to transfer the sd card to the computer....

Yep that would be step #1...Even if you dont plan on getting a new GPS for a long time, having all those waypoints backed up would be a good idea!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:13 pm

I have a garmin rhino, pretty sure its a 120, (its green), I dont know how to use it. Can anyone show me how or where to get a map so I can do what you guys are talking about. Cornfed, maybe if we have a get together sometime this summer, (there is talk of a bowfishing shoot) could you teach me about gps?
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:55 am

Brad Lamont wrote:I have a garmin rhino, pretty sure its a 120, (its green), I dont know how to use it. Can anyone show me how or where to get a map so I can do what you guys are talking about. Cornfed, maybe if we have a get together sometime this summer, (there is talk of a bowfishing shoot) could you teach me about gps?

Im not familiar with the rhino at all, but I'll do a little research and see what I can come up with..
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Sold on the Oregon. Literally. :D

The 450T is 45% off online through Cabelas. Just in time for my winter scounting. :dance:
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:26 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Sold on the Oregon. Literally. :D

The 450T is 45% off online through Cabelas. Just in time for my winter scounting. :dance:

That sucks I just spent my cabelas gift cards on a LW Alpha. I still need the sticks but I have a couple Gander cards and hope to rack more up during Christmas. I sure wish Gander or Cabelas sold them in 4 packs rather than the 3 and 1.
Maybe I will win the lottlery :dance:
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:35 pm

The Alpha is more useful than the GPS anyways. I think once you walk your properties (alot of mine are public), you'll know them pretty well. It comes in handy when leaving at night for me mostly or going in blind and putting in a custom aerial/topo.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Z7WIBoy wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Sold on the Oregon. Literally. :D

That sucks I just spent my cabelas gift cards on a LW Alpha. I still need the sticks but I have a couple Gander cards and hope to rack more up during Christmas. I sure wish Gander or Cabelas sold them in 4 packs rather than the 3 and 1.
Maybe I will win the lottlery :dance:

Bummer. . .

I'd go for two 3 packs of sticks if you can swing it. While I use 4 sticks most of the time, I use 5 sticks a lot too. Sometimes even 6 in hill country when dealing with steep terrain. I carry 5 sticks when going mobile. . .
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:02 pm

No hill country where I am -St. Croix county so 4 will do

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”