Stalking bedding areas with the bow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

Stalking bedding areas with the bow

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:32 am

Seems like a popular talked about tactic for windy days. Just curious if anyone has ever actually killed a buck stalking bedding areas with a bow. I personally find it next to impossible to shoot a buck in it's bed with a bow in the marshes and swamps I hunt, but whenever it's windy people on here say that it's an effective tactic.

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Re: Stalking bedding areas with the bow

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:31 am

Not me. I think I move to fast :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
All I want for Christmas is patcients.....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:33 am

the only people Ive seen talk about it on here was Dan and he used a shotgun I beleive.
You can't kill em on the couch
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 am

The only time I have been close is when there was about 4-6" of fresh powder snow so I could sneak very quietly. Had some very close encounters! This can be very exciting and a nice break from sitting on stand all year.

Speaking of which.......we need some snow for late season!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:27 am

I have not killed a buck with bow stalking bedding areas, but have many times with gun, and it always kills me that most of the shots would of been easy with a bow. I have tried it with bow and had some close calls and passed some smaller bucks as well as shooting some does...
Pretty tough in cattails, you almost gotta shoot them when they stand. It reall pays to have the bedding areas scouted really well and know the vulnerable ways to get at the bed undetected. There will only be some beds you can do this with.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:59 pm

I don't know if I could say I stalk bedding areas, but I can't sit still and creep the thick stuff.

I started hunting with a cross bow in 09 (although not exclusively). The cross bow immediately made me think I could creep around during bow season like I do in gun. I mostly jump shoot stuff as I creep around. Started out with this technique 3 for 3 with the crossbow, then I missed one last year with it.

This year I am 0 for 3 with this technique, I chronicled a bit in a couple threads. Love getting close and seeing them stand up with the oh poop look on their face, right before they bolt, and sometimes they stand and look to see what just interrupted their sleep. I elect to shoot anything I get close too, as I feel I earn them when I pull it off.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:17 pm

I could have but the buck was 1.5 year old and I passed the shot.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”