my avatar buck bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandon
500 Club

my avatar buck bed

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:16 am

as some of you know I jumped the buck in my avatar while duck hunting a small pond on a farm surrounded by tall marsh grass 3 years ago.

there is an "island" with some full grown trees, vines, bottles and oyster shells? I new this buck lived there I had seen him adjacent to it many times and could see his very distict rubs and large tracks on the edge of the closest field, the edge of his core area.

I havent seen a good buck there while hunting since the lucky guy killed the one we jumped in the water... then pushed back to shore. I can not deer hunt this farm... bunch of wannbe tv hunters that spend thousands on unnesssary (waaaaay to many) food plots, way to many treetstands and cameras gallore!

this morning I hunted the pond for ducks... shot a few, but then walkd across the pond to the island. I told my buddy to set on the edge and tell me what comes out. (not firearm season at this time).

Once I get through this NASTY crap... sweating so much... 3 does stand up and slowly trot the only way out of this spot right past my buddy. I saw them and could have shot them all.

Myy question is why was this once a GREAT big buck bedding area that kept a deer alive never before seen by the hunters... yet now its a mature doe and her 2 fawns. I have seen these same 3 deer in a small field closest to the bed.

Its so perfect... I may ask to hunt the does just to get practice on a setup... but why isnt a buck using this? Could it be that one just hangs with the does in the during rut and doesnt "live" there?

The does live there every day.

You can't kill em on the couch
Brandon
500 Club

Re: my avatar buck bed

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:56 am

One thought that comes to mind is there may be a better bedding area? If so, I know where to look...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:04 am

Very good question, I wish I had a solid answer for you but maybe others will. Just taking a stab in the dark I guess it is up to the individual buck what his preference of bedding is. While some beds might be hot year after year, others might only get used steady when the right deer is around and makes that location his home. Other beds might be seasonal or depend on some pressure to get used on a regular basis. As far as the does go they probably just moved in because it's a safe bedding area that no other deer were using at the time.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:17 am

I agree with headgear they probably slid into the vacant bed. You said mature doe, IMO they can be just as smart if not smarter than a mature buck. I think getting permission to hunt her is a great ideer... ;) the more straps in the freezer the merrier. Heck if you kill her maybe then a mature buck will take over the spot again? Good luck and keep us posted.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:37 am

Milk Weed Seed wrote:I agree with headgear they probably slid into the vacant bed. You said mature doe, IMO they can be just as smart if not smarter than a mature buck. I think getting permission to hunt her is a great ideer... ;) the more straps in the freezer the merrier. Heck if you kill her maybe then a mature buck will take over the spot again? Good luck and keep us posted.

Good point... mature is mature... maybe she is one real smart doe? She must be old... shes big and has twins.

Im going to target her specifiaclly for "practice". No one hunts within 1,000 yards, or even on the same side as this bed. I no I can get the word to go ahead... especially this late in the season.

Im also going to check another similar spot that is close...
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 am

headgear wrote:Very good question, I wish I had a solid answer for you but maybe others will. Just taking a stab in the dark I guess it is up to the individual buck what his preference of bedding is. While some beds might be hot year after year, others might only get used steady when the right deer is around and makes that location his home. Other beds might be seasonal or depend on some pressure to get used on a regular basis. As far as the does go they probably just moved in because it's a safe bedding area that no other deer were using at the time.

that exact thought crossed my mind.... I shoulda took pics... this bed is NICE. PERFECT for a big buck to go old and never get messed with.... unless a Beast comes along. 8-)
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:42 am

One more thing... can you beleive each time Ive duck hunted when the big buck or the mature doe was there all the shotgun blasts pointing in their genral direction... over and over and not 60 yards away that they ALL held tight? Didnt care... they only moved when stepped on (within in 30 yards). Very intreging.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:02 am

They know if they walk out they die...... :twisted: I set up a double stand a few years ago and after finished making noise and all the commotion with those hunks of junk a bunch of does jumped up about 25 yards out of the thicket.

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:16 am

The duck hunting might be part of the issue... Or it might just be that a buck has not found it and taken it over, or you have only been there when the does were there and not the days the buck was there.
I was hunting a buck bed last night that every year I see big bucks use. This year my hunting buddy Dave saw a large shooter buck come out of the bed from a observation stand and the next day I set up where he saw the large buck, and a 1 1/2 year old buck came out of the bed. Last night I hunted it again and right at dark a button buck got up out of the bed and walked by... You never know for sure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”