Have you ever seen a rump shot buck get away?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: Have you ever seen a rump shot buck get away?

Unread postby Dor » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:08 am

Brandon wrote:
Stanley wrote:Not too many plan to, but it happens.

How? Quartering away shots? I couldnt see missing that much right or left on a broadside shot?[/quote
Very easily can happen given enough chances at deer.

I have hit probably 5 to 10 in my life in the rump myself.

Reasons:
1. deflection.
2. poor shot selection
3. missed deer I was shooting at, and hit the one behind it
4. trying to shoot moving/running deer
5. equipment failure
6. cold weather
7. slap clothing with string

Thats just of the top of my head. Probably many more reasons I'm not thinking of.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:09 am

Brandon wrote:
Stanley wrote:Not too many plan to, but it happens.

How? Quartering away shots? I couldnt see missing that much right or left on a broadside shot?

Unforeseen twig, human error, botched shot, deer moving and you forget to lead, deer moves as you shoot, bundled up in cold weather, using too much bow, or collapsing at the shot. I have went after at least a half dozen ham shot bucks over the years for other hunters. Every one was a successful recovery.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:40 am

I hit my first buck in the rump when I was a kid, I think he ran about 70 yards and piled up. That's the only deer I can remember trailling hit that far back. That 4 point hangs proudly on my wall. The guy who taught me to hunt made me bite the heart of my first kill :mrgreen: he was a great hunter like a deer whiperer god I miss him.... RIP Hugh :(

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Thank goodness I have only ever rump shot one deer. I had a buck come in and start raking his antlers on the tree in which I was sitting. I waited for him to give me an angled away 5 yard shot and released. My darn arrow hit a limb on the way down and deflected into his rump. I saw blood pouring out immediately. He sprinted 15 yards and then began to slowly walk off. I didn't move or make a sound. He bedded down and was dead witin about 10 minutes. I sliced his femoral artery and exited out low in the intestines.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:23 pm

I hit a nice one in the hind a few years back. I don't know that it hit the artery or not. It did hit the hip socket. He didn't make it 40 yds and piled up stone dead. He was moving broadside, under 20 yds, as I released he turned away from me. Turned out better for me than him.
I did a little nosing around on the subject and it seems that back in the day it was an acceptable if not advised shot by some. It was said that the whole ham and not just the femoral artery would give similar lethal results. Mostly opinion based on individual experiences. I think C. Adams might have been one of the advocates.
Interesting subject for sure.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Stanley wrote:
Brandon wrote:
Stanley wrote:I'm talking about just a broadside shot, arrow going through the hams. Not a Texas heart shot.

ok i would call that a "hind quarter" shot.... when i hear "rump" i think its the azz...

but to answer your question I have never shot anything in the hind quarters and dont plan to...

[glow=red]Not too many plan to, but it happens[/glow].

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:37 pm

For the rump shooters how much penetration does the arrow usually get on a shot to the rump? I hit a doe right in what I would call the hip a few years back. Got like 2 inches of penetration and the arrow broke off. I had no blood to track her and we looked for a little bit but assumed it to not be a fatal hit. She crossed the property line barely limping and trotted out of sight...I never heard a shot to the rump was as lethal as the femoral artery??
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:54 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:For the rump shooters how much penetration does the arrow usually get on a shot to the rump? I hit a doe right in what I would call the hip a few years back. Got like 2 inches of penetration and the arrow broke off. I had no blood to track her and we looked for a little bit but assumed it to not be a fatal hit. She crossed the property line barely limping and trotted out of sight...I never heard a shot to the rump was as lethal as the femoral artery??

You can easily get a pass through on both hams if you don't hit the leg bones. There are a lot of big blood vessels all through the muscle in the hams. The biggest vessel (femoral artery) is located in front of the leg bone. Clip one or both of these in the hams and the deer goes down very fast.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Never shot a buck here, did a doe though & found her. I don't think I hit the artery just enough stuff that she couldn't clot up. She went about 30 bedded down for about half hour til a buck came & chased her, trailed her an hour or so later & she was stil alive but not doing well, came back an hour later ready to tun her down, but she was dead. I got a pass through both hams.
I learned from that shot, she was standing in a creek bed feeding with her back legs up on the bank, at the shot (only 12 yards) she reacted & my arrow went where I was aiming but she moved so quick it hit her through hams.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:32 am

I shot a nice 10 point in the hind quarter once, still not sure how it happened, pulled the shot or something. It was about a 140 class 3 1/2 year old target buck I new well. That was back in the aluminum arrow days and I burried that arrow deep. When he ran thru the woods he bent the arrow and it stayed in him. I was worried sick. There were not many big bucks back then. I was relieved to see him a couple weeks later looking normal without the aluminum attachment. I shot him the next year as a 4 1/2 and he was a very respectable mid 160's buck. Still one of my largest. The wound did not effect his antler growth. So that one survived, but the 12 pointer I hit the artery on I got. I am at 50%

I take that back... I forgot about a 3rd buck I shot, a smaller 10 point, that I hit in the rear. Another deflection. That deer went down within about 50 yards, I don't think I hit the femoral on that one...
So lets change it to 66% recovery for my personal but shot deer.
browning3

Unread postby browning3 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:45 am

I hit a buck in the hind quarter a few years ago. It was a 15 yard chip shot but the arrow deflected on a sapling which turned the arrow path. First thing I said to myself was "oh crap...this is gonna be a long track job" as the deer ran off. The buck ran about 60 yards then stopped and started doing the wobble leg walk in a circle move. Tipped over and was dead in less than 30 seconds. The 60 yard bloodtrail was pretty wicked. I got lucky and caught the artery and he expired as fast as a double lung hit.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:40 am

[quote="rudy78"]Never shot a buck here, did a doe though & found her. I don't think I hit the artery just enough stuff that she couldn't clot up. She went about 30 bedded down for about half hour til a buck came & chased her, trailed her an hour or so later & she was stil alive but not doing well, came back an hour later ready to tun her down, but she was dead. I got a pass through both hams.
I learned from that shot, she was standing in a creek bed feeding with her bac
k legs up on the bank, at the shot (only 12 yards) she reacted & my arrow went where I was aiming but she moved so quick it hit her through hams.

[ Post made via Palm ] [img]

I forgot about a buck I shot with a gun, not sure if this was just bow or not. I misse with my first shot & hit him square in hinds with buck shot on 2nd shot, I ended up running him till he died, that was a long time ago when I was in HS.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”