What do you cosider the perfect bow set up for deer hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

What do you cosider the perfect bow set up for deer hunting?

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:25 am

Not talking bow brand, but draw weight, arrow weight, number of pins, etc. Forget the logo lets talk specs.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: What do you cosider the perfect bow set up for deer hunt

Unread postby Dor » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:39 am

The correct answer is going to be different for each user. For me I am pretty deadly with a shorter ATA 60 lb compound because there really isn't a tree I can't hunt from with it. I have done very well with a 62 in 54lb Recurve as well.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:40 am

One that "feels right" in your hand and you can shoot well. I don't get caught up in all that "archery geek speak".
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:42 am

5-10 lb lower draw weight then you shoot on the ground all summer

short ATA

1 pin

sight light

quiet

full capture arrow rest

heavy arrow with some KE behind it
You can't kill em on the couch
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:56 am

Compound.....32+"ATA....7" BH.....enough pins to allow for follow-up shots, when needed.....arrow weight of at +/- 7GPP.

Traditional (I shoot a recurve)......At least 60" .....I shoot 53#'s @ my DL.....with an arrow weight of +/- 10GPP.
Lateral Bowhunter
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:02 am

The perfect bow... 8-)

I don't believe there's such a bow that would make everyone happy.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:12 am

Most comfortable weight you can pull at any angle (for me 64lbs). A carbon arrow in the 5.5- 6.5 grain per pound of draw weight. I like a short ata bow also for blind hunting turkeys. I shoot a 3 pin fixed sight, with fiber optic pins, a 1/4" peep, with no rubber tubing. I shoot a wisker bisket for complete worry free hunting. I shoot spitfire 100 grain broadhead and have for about 12 years. I have shot about 40 deer in the last 12 years with this arrow/ broadhead/ draw weight, combo and have only got 1 non complete pass thru. To me your bow has to be as confy as possible, quiet as possible, and be a complete pleasure to shoot. I must want to fondle and touch my bow at any given time or it isnt the right one. I am a BOW HUNTER before a DEER hunter, I want to kill everything with a bow. I have killed bigger deer with my gun and only regret that they werent killed with my bow. I want my bow to be bullet proof, and dont want to fuss with anything during the long bow season we have here, so my selection of this set up has been thought out and 29 years of selection has went into everything on my bow.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:59 am

addisonlee wrote:The perfect bow... 8-)

So 7 pins is the same as 1 pin for you?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 am

For me, I prefer a lower poundage with a mid weight arrow and heavy broadhead. I am not about speed at all. I currently shoot 60lbs with an arrow tipped with a 125gr head (can't remember arrow weight). I believe in penetration and the heavier weight will hold better down range and with resistance. Also, minor flaws in form will not be as great a influence on arrow flight with heavier set-ups as a lightweight/supersonic fast combination. It seems the heavier set ups are quieter. This has worked for me for years and I've convinced myself there's no other way. I do realise other set-ups work and it's a personal preference. It's the confidence factor that really drives me on.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:21 am

Stanley wrote:

i cant hunt with one pin or seven pinns
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:24 am

BigHunt wrote:
Stanley wrote:

i cant hunt with one pin or seven pinns

So what number of pins would you consider ideal. What do you have on your bow? There are no wrong answers except no answer.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:35 am

personally I think the one pin deal is to complicated when deer come in so fast I don't want to be messing around with the pin and adjusting it ....seven pins is to much to go through and decide what to use

I use three ...ten twenty and thirty ...I can easy aim high or low to adjust my shots ...I practice this all the time
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:45 am

BigHunt wrote:personally I think the one pin deal is to complicated when deer come in so fast I don't want to be messing around with the pin and adjusting it ....seven pins is to much to go through and decide what to use

I use three ...ten twenty and thirty ...I can easy aim high or low to adjust my shots ...I practice this all the time

Perfect, now what else about your bow set up do you consider ideal. You must have preferences because you do own and shoot a bow. :think: This isn't hard at all is it? ;)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:55 am

Stanley wrote:
BigHunt wrote:personally I think the one pin deal is to complicated when deer come in so fast I don't want to be messing around with the pin and adjusting it ....seven pins is to much to go through and decide what to use

Perfect, now what else about your bow set up do you consider ideal. You must have preferences because you do own and shoot a bow. :think: This isn't hard at all is it? ;)

no Stan this snit hard :lol:

:think: lets see ......I use vertical pins instead of horizontal pins... nothing blocking the veiw

I don't use a kisser bottom

I don't use a wrist rope :? ( I don't see how I would drop my bow ) I hang on to it when shooting :?

I do use a medical tube on my peep sight cuz I don't like adjusting the pee before the shot

(I ) prefer a thicker handle to grab on to ...not a tooth pick

couple silencers on the strings and limbs......lighter drawl weight to hold the string back when needed

:think: :think: :think: I think that's it
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:09 pm

I don't know much about my set up as far as arrow weight and grains per inch and all that. I really like how my bow is set up right now, and I have built it to what I consider "perfect" for my standards. I have a 36" ata bow with a medium cam that generates a fair amount of speed without being a real pain to pull at the moment of truth. I am pulling 70 pounds or so, with 75% left off, with gold tip 5575 arrows. This is a very forgiving set-up for me.

I shoot a 100 grain 4 blade head that I have 100% confidence in and they fly like darts. I use a neon green cap that I hand painted, with black and silver pin striping that I crested myself. I like this because it is really bright to me, but it is semi camouflaged to the deer. I use 4" feathers because they are so quiet and durable, but they shoot the same as a 2" blazer too, so I carry one of them in case of rain. I use a neon green lighted nock to help see the flight and the hit, and to help recover the arrow after the shot.

As for the bow itself I use a 5 pin sight, I have it sighted in to 45 yards with 3 pins, but they are marked on the sight. The other two pins are on the bottom of the sight so If I break one, I can just slide it into the marking where the broken pin was. I also use a sight mounted rangefinder because I don't have time to range an animal when he comes in. I have moleskin everywhere an arrow could touch, I nock an arrow and twirl it and if it hits it, it gets moleskin. I like a full capture drop away rest and have the settings marked on my string so If I ever break a string in the field, I can replace it without going back to the pro shop. I use an 8" stabilizer with rubber dampers on it to help quiet the bow down even more. My bow came with a bow mounted string suppressor so I didn't have to add one, if it hadn't, I would have put one on it. Last I use a bow mounted 2 piece quiver, it makes no sense to me to have more arrows hanging on the tree or where I cant get at them right now, and I have used a 2nd arrow once before and it was nice just to grab another instead of fumbling. I don't care about speed but I generate 288 fps which I am more than happy with out of this hunting set up. Every single buck I have shot at with this bow has gone home with me, so it seems to work. While I like to rib other people over their bow brand for giggles now and then, the truth is if the bow works for you and you have confidence in it, that is all that matters.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”