What are your thoughts on getting an arrow off undetected?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

Re: What are your thoughts on getting an arrow off undetecte

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:54 am

When I draw on a deer he is moving 90% of the time. I rarely draw on a deer standing still, and never draw on a deer that is listening or looking my way. I only remember one buck that busted me drawing, because he came in from behind me and walked right under my tree. I drew as he walked past and he must have heard me, and started trotting but never looked back up at me. I only stop deer that are moving if I can't get a shot off without. I don't do like on tv. If I get busted it is before I could of drew anyways.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:24 am

jakedeaver wrote:Am I the only Tree Saddle user around here? I get picked off way, way less in my saddle than in my hang-ons. I like to set up so the tree is between me and where I expect the deer to come from (no human outline on the approach). Then as the deer enters my shooting lane, I slowly draw and rotate into position. I rarely have a deer bust me or jump the string.

Even when deer come from the wrong direction, they rarely bust me and spook. They are very accustomed to seeing hunters in hang-ons, but they look at me in my saddle and I just look like another branch or broken trunk.

I use the saddle at times too, so does Inhunter ( haven't heard from him in awhile). Having a tree between me and the deer to break up my outlet is definately on of the pros of using a tree saddle.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:16 pm

BigHunt wrote:
dan wrote:A friend of mine once told me that he thinks deer can read bad vibes, so he won't look at them till its time to shoot and he trys to think happy thoughts and not about killing them... When he told me that I laughed so hard I slipped out of my chair :lol: I burn a hole right thru them with me eyes. I never let them out of my sight and am waiting for any chance to get an arrow into the vitals... You can't kill them if you don't look at them.
One more tip though. I don't aim the bow directly at the deer, I aim behind him so that my moving arm (the one drawing the arrow back) is somewhat hidden by my other arm and bow. I also put the limb in front of my face before drawing to break up my face outline...

thanks for the tips dan.... :music-rockout:

X2

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:33 pm

adrenalin wrote:When I draw on a deer he is moving 90% of the time. I rarely draw on a deer standing still, and never draw on a deer that is listening or looking my way. I only remember one buck that busted me drawing, because he came in from behind me and walked right under my tree. I drew as he walked past and he must have heard me, and started trotting but never looked back up at me. I only stop deer that are moving if I can't get a shot off without. I don't do like on tv. If I get busted it is before I could of drew anyways.

Great tip for sure. I'm 90% + drawing on moving bucks.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:20 pm

One thing that I like to do is hang my bow on a basic hook tight to the tree. I do not like bowhangers that hang like a foot out in the air. Those hangers seem to be easy to skyline as one moves to grab their bow in mid-air. I stay very tight to the tree, gently move my left arm back and slowly get my bow as I keep an eye on my target. If my target gets antsy I stop moving and freeze, then continue to get my bow when my target animal continues walking. My first couple of years of bowhunting I failed a bunch at everything. Since then, I have slowly perfected my technique and I am very efficient at drawing and killing deer without being detected.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”