Scouted out a big buck bed VIDEO & PICS of doe harvest

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

addisonlee

Re: Scouted out a big buck bed VIDEO & PICS of doe harvest

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:12 am

dan wrote:I am part Mennomonee indian. My great grandmother was full.

Well that explains your great hunting skills. :mrgreen:

dan wrote:Am I understanding it correctly, that "bitter" is with the internal organs? and non-bitter is with backstrap meat?

Good question Dan. You're correct, but "bitter" is only a word to describe it and doesn't really do it justice. The word "bitter" would literally mean unpleasant to some, but in this case it's more of a kick of flavor. It's challenging to explain but that's the best I can do at the moment. lol. Both recipe styles taste great either way.

addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:15 am

ompaathao wrote:Milwaukee.. Our party hunts in Clark County.. Public

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Nice area. Every hunt around the Southern Kettles? I hunt the Northern Kettles often, that's why I'm asking. :D
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Yes I have... My first deer encounter was in Kettle Moraine North.. About 5 yrs ago.. My rookie year.. Sat in a valley... Got to the tree late.. Then in 5 minutes had 3 does running in my direction.. Following them was a wide 10 pt possibly 2.5 years old and I could hear him hissing and grunting.. Then see another buck about 50 yds behind him.. An 8 And I could hear him slightly doing the same thing.. I shot at the 10... I seen the arrow fly right under him sticking in the ground ... Turns out he was 30 yds and not 20... But he walked away like nothing happend.. Thats when my buck fever started... I was hooked..

A couple of times I've been there since..Almost every time either I get bumped or I bump other hunters.. That's just way too much pressure for me... Maybe I need to do some more scouting.. I've been learning a lot from this site and just waiting for the right time to get out..My hunting and fishing habits get a bit pricey so for the last few weekends and even this weekend I will be working OT.. I'm off for a whole week after Christmas so if the ice isn't firm enough I will be in the field...

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:16 pm

I sure learned a lot man thanks for posting all those responses. I never would have guessed that about the small intestine but when I read the first couple sentences I realized where you were going with it, lots of nutrients in that intestine it sounds like and no feces which has to be a plus :lol: :lol:

So after I watched your buck bed video, I clicked around you youtube page and watched some other vids. I ended up at a video something or other about deer camp. And it was just like a parking lot in the woods full of people and bonfires. How big are the deer camps you attend and what would you say is your hunt style? Seems hard to be stealthy when you have 30 guys in the woods...then again I could be wrong lol
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:06 am

ompaathao wrote:Yes I have... My first deer encounter was in Kettle Moraine North.. About 5 yrs ago.. My rookie year.. Sat in a valley... Got to the tree late.. Then in 5 minutes had 3 does running in my direction.. Following them was a wide 10 pt possibly 2.5 years old and I could hear him hissing and grunting.. Then see another buck about 50 yds behind him.. An 8 And I could hear him slightly doing the same thing.. I shot at the 10... I seen the arrow fly right under him sticking in the ground ... Turns out he was 30 yds and not 20... But he walked away like nothing happend.. Thats when my buck fever started... I was hooked..

A couple of times I've been there since..Almost every time either I get bumped or I bump other hunters.. That's just way too much pressure for me... Maybe I need to do some more scouting.. I've been learning a lot from this site and just waiting for the right time to get out..My hunting and fishing habits get a bit pricey so for the last few weekends and even this weekend I will be working OT.. I'm off for a whole week after Christmas so if the ice isn't firm enough I will be in the field...

Great first bow hunting experience. If that didn't get you hooked, I'm not sure what else would. lol.

I'll admit theres alot of hunting pressure there but there's so much over looked public land once you get away from the main roads. Hows the hunting pressure in Clark County? I've heard nothing but good things about the county forests there.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:12 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:I sure learned a lot man thanks for posting all those responses. I never would have guessed that about the small intestine but when I read the first couple sentences I realized where you were going with it, lots of nutrients in that intestine it sounds like and no feces which has to be a plus :lol: :lol:

So after I watched your buck bed video, I clicked around you youtube page and watched some other vids. I ended up at a video something or other about deer camp. And it was just like a parking lot in the woods full of people and bonfires. How big are the deer camps you attend and what would you say is your hunt style? Seems hard to be stealthy when you have 30 guys in the woods...then again I could be wrong lol

Funny you mention 30 guys in the woods. :lol:

I usually don't hunt with a crowd of 30 guys (maybe gun, but not archery). I do have friends and family who go up and hunt in large crowds. They all seem to have different spots 10-15 mins driving apart.

My hunting style? Hmm. Honestly I would consider myself an adaptable hunter. What I mean by this is I find a use for all types of hunting, whether its hunting beds, funnels, baiting, stalking, driving, etc. One thing is this site has been very helpful and a great learning tool. Hopefully that makes sense. lol
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:17 am

Pressure is not too bad.. Lots if woods there..Deer numbers are okay.. Especially for young deer.. Nice to see them but my goals are for mature deer...

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:17 am

addisonlee wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:I sure learned a lot man thanks for posting all those responses. I never would have guessed that about the small intestine but when I read the first couple sentences I realized where you were going with it, lots of nutrients in that intestine it sounds like and no feces which has to be a plus :lol: :lol:

Funny you mention 30 guys in the woods. :lol:

I usually don't hunt with a crowd of 30 guys (maybe gun, but not archery). I do have friends and family who go up and hunt in large crowds. They all seem to have different spots 10-15 mins driving apart.

My hunting style? Hmm. Honestly I would consider myself an adaptable hunter. What I mean by this is I find a use for all types of hunting, whether its hunting beds, funnels, baiting, stalking, driving, etc. One thing is this site has been very helpful and a great learning tool. Hopefully that makes sense. lol

I'll see if I can find the video it looked like a real party!!! :lol:

Adaptable hunting style makes sense too, make sure to let us know when you kill that buck!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”