Who has hunted whitetails out west?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Who has hunted whitetails out west?

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:44 pm

I live in Illinois and have hunted here my entire life. I don't live in the best deer country for Illinois. My area is some of the most intensly farmed in the nation. Tiny woodlots and hedgerows are the norm. Deer rarely reach maturity here and due to the popularity of hunting deer the last 15 years, the deer really get hammered here. I normally see a deer 1 out of every 5 hunts. Not complaining, because I know even my part of Illinois is still much better than other areas.
However, I have a desire to hunt western whitetails. Whitetails that recieve less pressure. I know that most western whitetails do not get as big as Illinois bucks, but I believe more of them reach maturity. I also knows that hunting some areas of the west offers the chance to see alot of deer in a hunt, which I think would be fun. I am willing to pay a tresspass fee, but I do not want to hunt with an outfitter. By this I mean, I want to hang my own stands, scout..etc. Does anyone have any experience with this? I just want to try something new. Hunting new areas is fun.
How about you Spysar? I really have an interest in Wyoming. I'd be open to any suggestions. Thanks guys!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Who has hunted whitetails out west?

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:21 pm

I hunted Montana once. I won a hunt on a huge ranch. I don't know how big the ranch was but it took almost an hour to drive from one end to the other. I think the guy charged a lot, around $1500 plus a $500 tag (at the time, probably more now ) I saw about 100 deer a day, but not as many big bucks as I would of liked. Passed on a 125ish buck and missed a shot at a mule deer.
kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Who has hunted whitetails out west?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:26 pm

I hunt KS which I guess isn't out west, but is west of you. I'm lucky to see 10 deer in a week, ,but as you said, the chances of seeing a 3.5yr+ old buck are a 100x better then where I hunt in Michigan. On the other hand in Michigan I can pretty much see at least 3 deer a sit on my worst areas and more on others. I have a friend who used to hunt ND and he said lots of 120" bucks, but never saw any big bucks. Ive kicked around the idea of going out there myself, but keep heading to KS hoping for a chance at a real big one.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”