Bucks reacting to the shot (bow)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Bucks reacting to the shot (bow)

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:27 am

Big difference when your talking trad Schultzy. :D
I never said there wasn't. I hunted with a compound for 10 years prior to my 16 years with a recurve. ;) Too many times though I've saw slow motion replays on hunting shows where a high tech compound (300 fps bows) had deer duck the arrow at close ranges. Was It cause they were alarmed? Was It cause compounds are noisy to me? Who knows but I've saw It happen a few times. Really surprised me too but It just shows that In most cases speed does not kill.

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:29 am

Schultzy wrote:
I never said there wasn't. I hunted with a compound for 10 years prior to my 16 years with a recurve. ;) Too many times though I've saw slow motion replays on hunting shows where a high tech compound (300 fps bows) had deer duck the arrow at close ranges. Was It cause they were alarmed? Was Is cause compounds are noisy to me? Who knows but I've saw It happen a few times. Really surprised me too but It just shows that In most cases speed does not kill.

It is related to the speed of sound. Nothing more. At a certain distance a deer does not have time to react. The only study I have read on it gave that distance at 18 yards (on average).

What level of stress (edge) the deer is under will shorten that distance one would assume.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:02 am

Dor wrote:
Schultzy wrote:
I never said there wasn't. I hunted with a compound for 10 years prior to my 16 years with a recurve. ;) Too many times though I've saw slow motion replays on hunting shows where a high tech compound (300 fps bows) had deer duck the arrow at close ranges. Was It cause they were alarmed? Was Is cause compounds are noisy to me? Who knows but I've saw It happen a few times. Really surprised me too but It just shows that In most cases speed does not kill.

It is related to the speed of sound. Nothing more. At a certain distance a deer does not have time to react. The only study I have read on it gave that distance at 18 yards (on average).

What level of stress (edge) the deer is under will shorten that distance one would assume.
Agree
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:04 am

Agree x2

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”