Here's the pieces and help on killing him?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sauk Beast

Here's the pieces and help on killing him?

Unread postby Sauk Beast » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:06 pm

This is the quest for the deer I will be after in the late season, the yellow is his travel routes to food. Red are his known bedding areas, green is a food plot, and blue are the stand sites as of right now. You would think with what I know about him I'd be showing a kill pic but that isn't the case. I had him patterned opening day of bow season and filmed my wife try to shoot him and this buck saw her drawing back on him at 15 yds. Image
The main bedding for him now seems to be the one Northwest of the food plot along the ridge. He has a fresh rub line leading into the bedding area on that point. My hardest thing for his hunting this time of year is getting to a stand site undetected. He can lay on those hillsides and ridges and see for hundreds of yards and bust me before I bust him. I guess I am looking for an entrance route and wind suggestion and for which stands. Here is a picture of him. Image
Any ideas fellas....I am hoping to get out after him next weekend without any blaze orange on! ;)

rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Re: Here's the pieces and help on killing him?

Unread postby rudy78 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:21 pm

How big of an area is this/how far in between some of these?
I would wait tiil you have the nastiest weather possible to get him on his feet the earliest. Then I would try to sit either on the plot or jusr to n of it & would slip in just to east of the point on s, unless there is bedding n there.
I would maybe try a morn sit in the far n stand as well, depends on where the primary food in the area is, but would like to slip in from east if possible.
If you have a topo map, it would help as well so can see how to use terrain to help you.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:30 pm

Do you know if he's still there? I wouldn't rely on one new rub to tell you he's there.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Sauk Beast

Unread postby Sauk Beast » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:48 am

Spysar wrote:Do you know if he's still there? I wouldn't rely on one new rub to tell you he's there.

Yes, I actually have a pic of him 3 days after gun closed during shooting hours.
Sauk Beast

Unread postby Sauk Beast » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:58 am

rudy78 wrote:How big of an area is this/how far in between some of these?
I would wait tiil you have the nastiest weather possible to get him on his feet the earliest. Then I would try to sit either on the plot or jusr to n of it & would slip in just to east of the point on s, unless there is bedding n there.
I would maybe try a morn sit in the far n stand as well, depends on where the primary food in the area is, but would like to slip in from east if possible.
If you have a topo map, it would help as well so can see how to use terrain to help you.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image

The size of everything in that pic is about 150 acres. The big point you are refering to I actually saw him bedded in that from the opposite hillside. I tried to find a good topo too, but none that I can edit on line show the contours very well. He has quite a ways to travel for food besides the plot, which is turnips and rape, and these deer only seem to like them here when there is snow on the ground. As far as slipping in from the east I would like to do that too but I am not quite sure how or where to enter exit, the woods are pretty thick through that section, but I have a feeling he beds on that ridge just because he can see us on a west entry. Thanks for your suggestions I will look for a map and try to figure out how to get in from the east.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:17 am

If your woods is open and he can see you set up and you cant get close enough, my suggestion would be to sit back and glass and be patient for the right timing to go in for the kill... Looking at that map I only see 5 stand locations. I personally wouldn't hunt any of them more than about 3 times in one year. I wonder if your over hunting these spots and the buck has you patterned?
One tactic that can work well is to sit right over the top of the bed in the AM. You get about one shot at this per bed a year because its so aggressive, its important to pick the right morning cause mature bucks in post rut tend to get back to bed prior to daylight. I would keep track of the moon phase and weather conditions that might make him have a late arrival. I would also very carfully consider my options for entry rought to the spot, considering where the buck is likely located and his rought to the bed.
Another option would be to use rainy or snowy days and terrain to cover your noise and his sight and slip slowly into a closer position mid day when he is likely the least attentive to whats going on around.
Because of the lack of daylight movement in mature bucks, most of my biggest bucks were shot either in there bed or within 100 yards of it.
If this is your land, you might consider altering it by cutting some trees and doing some plantings to make it more deer, and hunter friendly.
Sauk Beast

Unread postby Sauk Beast » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:18 pm

dan wrote:If your woods is open and he can see you set up and you cant get close enough, my suggestion would be to sit back and glass and be patient for the right timing to go in for the kill... Looking at that map I only see 5 stand locations. I personally wouldn't hunt any of them more than about 3 times in one year. I wonder if your over hunting these spots and the buck has you patterned?
One tactic that can work well is to sit right over the top of the bed in the AM. You get about one shot at this per bed a year because its so aggressive, its important to pick the right morning cause mature bucks in post rut tend to get back to bed prior to daylight. I would keep track of the moon phase and weather conditions that might make him have a late arrival. I would also very carfully consider my options for entry rought to the spot, considering where the buck is likely located and his rought to the bed.
Another option would be to use rainy or snowy days and terrain to cover your noise and his sight and slip slowly into a closer position mid day when he is likely the least attentive to whats going on around.
Because of the lack of daylight movement in mature bucks, most of my biggest bucks were shot either in there bed or within 100 yards of it.
If this is your land, you might consider altering it by cutting some trees and doing some plantings to make it more deer, and hunter friendly.

The woods are open in spots but on the side hills are quite brushy. My stand close to the food plot has been pushed to limits I am sure, especially since gun season is over as far as number of sits. The stand nearest his bed on the ridge has been hunted 2 times and the one just over the ridge from it 2 times. The other 2 have not been hunted since early November. I have a couple of free stands I plan on moving in if need be as well? Here's the best I can get with a topo.

The woods aren't entirely right but if you look at the aerial and compare you will get the drift I think. like the idea of moving in on his bed as I won't have a ton of time to hunt but hope to put something together
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Image i blew it up for you 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Sauk Beast

Unread postby Sauk Beast » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:29 pm

Sauk Beast wrote:
dan wrote:If your woods is open and he can see you set up and you cant get close enough, my suggestion would be to sit back and glass and be patient for the right timing to go in for the kill... Looking at that map I only see 5 stand locations. I personally wouldn't hunt any of them more than about 3 times in one year. I wonder if your over hunting these spots and the buck has you patterned?

The woods are open in spots but on the side hills are quite brushy. My stand close to the food plot has been pushed to limits I am sure, especially since gun season is over as far as number of sits. The stand nearest his bed on the ridge has been hunted 2 times and the one just over the ridge from it 2 times. The other 2 have not been hunted since early November. I have a couple of free stands I plan on moving in if need be as well? Here's the best I can get with a topo.

The woods aren't entirely right but if you look at the aerial and compare you will get the drift I think. like the idea of moving in on his bed as I won't have a ton of time to hunt but hope to put something together

whats what is the yellow stands or is the blues stands and what are the yellow lines
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Sauk Beast

Unread postby Sauk Beast » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Red is known beds
blue stand locations
yellow known travel routes
green food plot
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:56 am

I wouldn't step into the woods and I'd make those 2 sets, 5-6 hunts total, afternoons only. SW wind the north set. NW wind the south set. I'd be set pretty high this time of year. On the south side of the tree on the north set. On the North side of the tree on the south set.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:56 am

like the idea of moving in on his bed as I won't have a ton of time to hunt but hope to put something together

Sounds like a good plan to me... You might get him moving farther in the friged temps closer to the end of the season, but thats iffy. If your time is limeted, I would go for broke. If you fail, I would then target the next most likely bed, etc.
Sauk Beast

Unread postby Sauk Beast » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Alright I am going to move in him Friday, looks like a day of colder temps, high pressure and after a major weather event. I am going to gotta believe he will be getting up off his feet early. I will post any results good or bad.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Sauk Beast wrote:Alright I am going to move in him Friday, looks like a day of colder temps, high pressure and after a major weather event. I am going to gotta believe he will be getting up off his feet early. I will post any results good or bad.

good luck man cant wait for the report
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”