How much time do you actually spend "in the field"?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sauk Beast

Re: How much time do you actually spend "in the field"?

Unread postby Sauk Beast » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:37 pm

In the early season I pretty much only hunt evenings up until Oct 15 and usually only a few different stands. Moving stands as need be based on deer movement. Then after that its both AM. PM and sometimes all day. Probably 200 hours total on average per year...some years less..some years more.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:15 am

I don't get out as much as I would like but I get out as much as I can, I have a young family at home so that takes up a majority of my time. On average I get out 2-3 sits a week bow season mostly on the weekends and a handful of short weekday hunts in early season. I do take off 9 days during the rut and I spend 98% of shooting hours in the woods during those 9 days. My late season hunting schedule is very inconsistent, I might only get one hunt a weekend or hunt hard all weekend long depending on available time.

The good news is save for any vacation time I get out a as least that much during the spring scouting season and sometimes I get to log a lot more hours scouting than I would hunting so that can only help me in the fall.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:39 am

I hunt every second I have available. A minumum of 4the sits per week and a maximum of let's say 6 sits. I had a 9 day vacation in which I hunted everyday morning and afternoon. In years past I have done all day sits 10 days straight.

This year was most likely my worst year as far as sightings.....you guys will hear about it in the buckless thread LOL.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:38 am

Ya know, Fox......the season you're having garners as much respect from me as someone who got it done in record time.

I'm a big fan of those who work their butts off........regardless of the outcome.

Kudos.
Lateral Bowhunter
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:05 am

I hunted about three days a week probably between 2.5 to 5 hrs per sit. Don't want to think about how many hrs at the wheel or how much gas$ I spent :( has been my most difficult season to date saw lots out of deer out of range early season. Missed a slammer and had one go onto the neighbors, which I couldn't get. Late season has been rough this year. But I ain't complaining rather be inthe woods then stuck doing honey do's :P

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:45 am

Most would tell you I spend way too much time in the woods. I would say not nearly enough. :D
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:34 am

I had 12 afternoon sits and 15 point blank shot opportunities and by that I mean separate shot opportuniites, that being if 2 bucks came in at the same time and offered shots that only counts as one opportunity. I spend way more time scouting and making my sets and in preparation than I spend hunting.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:28 am

i just walked three hours backin to the swamp and found lots of good sing...man im pooped
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:57 am

This year I think I bow hunted 5 times in Michigan and 2 times gun hunting.
I pretty much save my hunting 'grace' with the wife/family for when I go on my trips. This year I hunted 8 days in Illinois with a bow, a couple of them were all day hunts, a few others where I just moved from one stand to another and had one morning where we were rained out.
At this point in life having 3 young kids there is a lot more to life then just hanging deer on the walls, so I pretty much only go in November and make my time count. I also do a lot of scouting & prep work and take my kids to help with as much of that as I can. I'm sure thankful my dad did that for me when I was younger & want my kids to have great experiences in the woods as well not despise it because they don't have a dad all fall because he is off in the woods.
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:33 am

I figured I spent around 150 hours hunting so far this year up until I filled most of my tags. 5 or 6 were all day sits, most were 3-5 hour sits. Also logged a lot of hours driving to spots early in the morning. Haven't been out hunting lately but checked my cameras last week and set-up a late season ground blind. I spend way more hours scouting and shining before the season opens each year. I'm going out to some public on thursday to check out some spots I suspect will hold some big buck beds. Also have a few late season hunts planned. One is on some private I've never been on before so that will be fun!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:41 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:How many hours/sits/days however you want to word it would you think that you have spent in the woods this fall?

I hope the wife isn't reading this. :? :lol:

Lets see, since opening day I've hunted atleast twice a week after work for about 3-4hrs each sit up til daylight savings time. I'll round it up to 8wks, 2 sits a wk, 4hrs each sit... equals 64hrs. :shock: Then a wk for the rut (mornings, get down for a quick lunch, afternoons) and two full day hunts. So I'll round it to 7 days, 8hrs/each day... equals 56hrs. 64+56 = 120hrs :shock:

And that's just archery so far, still got late season. :lol: During the gun season I sat all day both days opening weekend. (16hrs) Then a few morning hunts and another all day sit on the last day. 3 mornings (4hrs/ea) = 12hrs. 1 all day sit (8hrs)... 16+12+8 = 36hrs... oh and i almost forgot late season antlerless... one morning and an allday hunt. 12hrs. 36+12 = 48hrs for gun.

120+48 = ~168hrs total hunting this year so far (this is just sitting in stand not including scouting/shining) :shock: :lol:

I think I have an addiction. :lol:
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:27 am

Not as much as I wanted. Probably sat 30 sits, at an average of 3 hours, and 3 all day sits.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”